LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Does Singletary only get 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Shaun Hill fails and the season is a loss, does Jed look to Holmgren, Shanahan, or Gruden to right the ship??

I'm starting to think if there aren't any playoffs this year, Sing could be on his way out.
no, he gets 3 years to get us to the playoffs.

look at what he is playing with: no qb, no NT to run the defense, no pass rush, a mediocre offensive line, no receivers..... come on give the man a chance to succeed.

you can't turn the corner in one year. if we do, great. but if we don't that isn't on singletary.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Fail.
  • knumrock
  • Info N/A
IMO, I feel that is highly unlikely. Sing is one the best things that happened to the 49ers in recent years. He's a coach that for once has the respect of probably all the players on this team. He should be given more than a year to get them in the playoffs.
where did this 1 year come from?????

dude.....as many years as nolan, golden boy alice smith, and Scotty M got...they all failed so far...
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

dude.....as many years as nolan, golden boy alice smith, and Scotty M got...they all failed so far...

alex smith got 1 year
Nolan brought Singletary on as assistant HEAD COACH back in 2005

After the 2009 season Singletary would have been HC for 1.5 seasons. He has no excuses for losing. He didn't just get here.

If the 49ers fall flat AGAIN and miss the playoffs then both Scotty and Singletary should lose their jobs.

I'm rooting for Singletary to succeed but the fact remains he has proven nothing so far. It's all hype and tough talk just like it was under his bff and mentor Mike Nolan.

We will see in 2009 if things are different this time around.

It's not everyday that you have Holmgren, Shanahan and Gruden all available. They have undeniably more experience and success than Sing.

I wouldn't rule it out.
I wouldn't mind scotty getting the boot...

alot of his picks are busts IMO...

we can use a new GM
  • Bille
  • Veteran

A little off topic, but I don't get the calling alex smith a girls name, sure you can say he is a bad player and all, but the guy played hurt.

Also why use alice, I mean his name is already Alex, you could call him Alexandra or Alexis if you wanted to use a girls name?

If he bombs this season with a 6-11 record or worse I definitely see him AND McCloughan getting fired in favor of Shanahan or Holmgren.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Nolan brought Singletary on as assistant HEAD COACH back in 2005 After the 2009 season Singletary would have been HC for 1.5 seasons. He has no excuses for losing. He didn't just get here. If the 49ers fall flat AGAIN and miss the playoffs then both Scotty and Singletary should lose their jobs. I'm rooting for Singletary to succeed but the fact remains he has proven nothing so far. It's all hype and tough talk just like it was under his bff and mentor Mike Nolan. We will see in 2009 if things are different this time around.

cosigned. i want this team to succeed and i like singletary but he needs to show improvement this year from last year. this team is exponentially more talented than the 2005 team. sing has his guy raye, his qb hill, he along with manusky chose the 3-4 d, this is his team and scottys players and if its 2007 all over again then he cant stay with gruden, shanahan, holmgren, etc out there.

i dont want to hear how he doesnt have the pieces to get it done. no recievers? give me a break, our recievers did well last year. if the passing game blows its his fault for getting raye and dumping martz who ill admit had his faults. if the d sucks he better fix it. time to put up or shut up for the 2 of them.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Nolan brought Singletary on as assistant HEAD COACH back in 2005 After the 2009 season Singletary would have been HC for 1.5 seasons. He has no excuses for losing. He didn't just get here. If the 49ers fall flat AGAIN and miss the playoffs then both Scotty and Singletary should lose their jobs. I'm rooting for Singletary to succeed but the fact remains he has proven nothing so far. It's all hype and tough talk just like it was under his bff and mentor Mike Nolan. We will see in 2009 if things are different this time around.

cosigned. i want this team to succeed and i like singletary but he needs to show improvement this year from last year. this team is exponentially more talented than the 2005 team. sing has his guy raye, his qb hill, he along with manusky chose the 3-4 d, this is his team and scottys players and if its 2007 all over again then he cant stay with gruden, shanahan, holmgren, etc out there.

i dont want to hear how he doesnt have the pieces to get it done. no recievers? give me a break, our recievers did well last year. if the passing game blows its his fault for getting raye and dumping martz who ill admit had his faults. if the d sucks he better fix it. time to put up or shut up for the 2 of them.

I wouldn't say playoffs or gone though. There are a lot of factors that go into W/L record out of his control. How will the lack of depth due to Smith's retirement at RT affect the team? What about the missing WR who was supposed to be the key to keeping a defense honest? What about Harris on IR? Those are just things that have already happened, not to go off on a list of, knock on wood, likely situations that may happen. I say, as long as the team shows good improvement in play and show they are progressing as players, then keep him on.
I personally wouldn't base it on just making the playoffs ------ I really don't want to see any back-sliding on the win-loss record assuming key players stay healthy.

P.S. He did say we would have a pass rush I expect him to be a straight shooter on that.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

alex smith got 1 year

Exactly!
Share 49ersWebzone