LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Does Singletary only get 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bille:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
where did this 1 year come from?????

dude.....as many years as nolan, golden boy alice smith, and Scotty M got...they all failed so far...

A little off topic, but I don't get the calling alex smith a girls name, sure you can say he is a bad player and all, but the guy played hurt.

Also why use alice, I mean his name is already Alex, you could call him Alexandra or Alexis if you wanted to use a girls name?

It is one of the less endearing habits of the under-aged posters around here that if they don't like the owner, the coaches or the players they are unable to make the point by use of logic and are thus forced to use insults.

On the original subject, it depends how bad the fail is. 5 wins or less would certainly put his position in jeopardy. 8 or more would cement him in place.

Unlike many posters here I don't see Shan or Gruden necessarily as an upgrade. As to Holmgren, mmm, maybe but is he ready for another rebuild job?
It depends on how bad this year goes. If the Niners return to 2007 form and end up winning 4 games and look completely loss than yes Sing should be fired.

But its not just him though a complete house cleaning needs to be done. Fire the GM the Coach all the coordinators, the doctors, the janitors, the groundskeeper, Everyone that has been apart of the organization the past decade needs to go. Id even go far as saying the Yorks but gotta be realistic here

If this does happen I would love Holmgren to be GM with either Shannahan or Gruden as coach. Side note would also love Carmen Policy as VP
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I personally wouldn't base it on just making the playoffs ------ I really don't want to see any back-sliding on the win-loss record assuming key players stay healthy.

P.S. He did say we would have a pass rush I expect him to be a straight shooter on that.

Chad Johnson also guaranteed a victory once. The Bengals lost. I want to believe him but I just don't see how we're going to be able to put pressure on the opposing team. Hopefully, someone gets cut soon or something.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Nolan brought Singletary on as assistant HEAD COACH back in 2005

After the 2009 season Singletary would have been HC for 1.5 seasons. He has no excuses for losing. He didn't just get here.

If the 49ers fall flat AGAIN and miss the playoffs then both Scotty and Singletary should lose their jobs.

I'm rooting for Singletary to succeed but the fact remains he has proven nothing so far. It's all hype and tough talk just like it was under his bff and mentor Mike Nolan.

We will see in 2009 if things are different this time around.

Ahh; TRUTH. I'm thinking some of these fans haven't been around too long, though let's fact it; I don't think he had too much to do with Nolan's drafts. Still, what you say is true.

I just hate this offense, personally. Run the ball and can't pass block. True Coffee & Sheets look very good, but show me some variety, some inventiveness.
I digress; MS will get at least two years. However yes boy Raye's O is going to be like a weight around his neck, unless they open it up some, or at least bring Davis along to sling the thing.

Only three "meaningless" preseason games, but still... Ha, they don't seem meaningless to MS, to the players who get hurt or hit and be hit. They just don't count in the season standings.

Every time I have gone to a preseason game and saw the guys trying to make the team knocking the snot out of each other; I never thought they were meaningless.

MS, gets two years min. Only problem with this is the great coaches and managers will be hired, and if he fails and we need to upgrade, guess what; WE LOSE OUT AGAIN!!

Hope we win, with some ughhh.. class and inventiveness.

NINERS 2009!!!!!!!

[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Aug 31, 2009 at 02:50:30 ]
That would not be prudent...our team needs some stability...in it's head coach and OC. Jed York doesn't strike me as a guy to pull a knee-jerk reaction...he'll support Singletary 'til Coach proves he doesn't have what it takes, and I really don't see that happening after just one season.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Nolan brought Singletary on as assistant HEAD COACH back in 2005

After the 2009 season Singletary would have been HC for 1.5 seasons. He has no excuses for losing. He didn't just get here.

If the 49ers fall flat AGAIN and miss the playoffs then both Scotty and Singletary should lose their jobs.

I'm rooting for Singletary to succeed but the fact remains he has proven nothing so far. It's all hype and tough talk just like it was under his bff and mentor Mike Nolan.

We will see in 2009 if things are different this time around.

Well said!
Originally posted by WestCoast:
If Shaun Hill fails and the season is a loss, does Jed look to Holmgren, Shanahan, or Gruden to right the ship??

I'm starting to think if there aren't any playoffs this year, Sing could be on his way out.

The problem I have with all three of the guys you've listed is that they'd all want to be Coach/GM and none of them have proven to be very successful in that role. I'd take either one as a OC, but I'm not sure about wanting them to be our coach/GM.
He would have to bomb big time to not get another year.
Jed has too much of a man crush on Singletary.

Plus Nolan proved you can blame the losses on the players and not the coaches and keep your job.

This thread is ridiculous.

Plus I would like to see Holmgrin in a "President of Football Operations" role. Similar to Parcells. I think our problem with our "average talent" (I dont see anyone but Willis or Gore making the Pro Bowl the next three seasons) is that we have no power from the top down....instead like the Nolan era our front office becomes infatuated with a coach and the power goes from the bottom up. I dont' think thats the best business plan for an NFL organization.
IT highly depends on how we do this year... if we get less than 7 wins, I could see him being in a little bit of trouble. More than 7, and he will definitely be here next year or the following year... If we only get 2-3 wins though, it would be hard to justify keeping him around thinking that this team was headed in the right direction...

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
where did this 1 year come from?????

dude.....as many years as nolan, golden boy alice smith, and Scotty M got...they all failed so far...

alex smith got 1 year

Wrong! Alex Smith has had 5 years to make it happen. Circumstances haven't been in his favor, but he had his shot.......repeatedly.
Singletary won what 5 of the last 7 games (last year)? He took control of the team, put VD in his place and put a competent QB in as starter. He brought a toughness to the niners and the players have obviously bought into it. I do not think its fair nor accurate to compare him to Nolan just because Nolan hired him. Nolan never taught him anything, he respected Nolan and worked on his staff.

Singletary has proven himself on the field (a major difference between him and Nolan) and holds himself just as accountable as his players (another difference). He is not just bringing this team together as a football team but as a family too.

It disgusts me to see so many people already expecting him to loose. Singletary is a winner and is brining a tough-minded winning attitude to the 49ers. I understand that we are not coming into the season with the talent we had in 95, but come on people if you can't have some faith, at least have some patience.
What I find funny is people throwing out names of coaches like we can have so an so. Keep dreaming people. Just cause a certain coach isn't with a team doesn't mean they will want to come here.
no but raye will!!
[img=]
Share 49ersWebzone