There are 253 users in the forums

Hope she's right...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand.

I've been saying that all preseason! People don't listen!

It's been very obvious we've been playing vanilla football to anyone who has actually paid attention to the games. We don't gameplan and we run a bland scheme.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

I think we have kept it vanilla, but that could be the homer in me...

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on.

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

You know, if there's something I'm good at is remembering stuff. And I remember during the 2007 preseason people using the vanilla excuse to explain the poor performance of Hostler's offense saying that he did not open the playbook (Nolan seconded that, naturally).

Then came Smith or Hill and said this (more or less): "It's true that is a bit vanilla. At the same time, that's our base offense. If we can't execute that, we'll be in trouble when it's time to open up the playbook".

Prophetic, huh?

Very good point. YIKES!!! The only difference I notice then from now is we aren't using our play action, and our guys are open Hills just not making the throws.
Our defense had a pass rush after Nolan was canned, so honestly I'm not to worried about that. I dont see us declining due to the fact we didn't lose anyone on the D'line and Balmer looks like a beast. Our offense was ran the ball great, which really sets up the play action and we haven't used it but a couple of times so I would truly have to believe that it will be used during the season. Hopefully she's right and your inaccurate with this post. Respectively.

I hope so too. I'm a die-hard fan (how else would i remember a meaningless statement from 2 years ago, right?).

But reasoning is a b***h and right now it's telling me that we're in for a rough season.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I'll believe it when I see it.
My problem with the vanilla offense line of reasoning is that our QB cannot get the ball to the wideouts with any regularity. Is that going to change when the offense gets more exotic?
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on.

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

You know, if there's something I'm good at is remembering stuff. And I remember during the 2007 preseason people using the vanilla excuse to explain the poor performance of Hostler's offense saying that he did not open the playbook (Nolan seconded that, naturally).

Then came Smith or Hill and said this (more or less): "It's true that is a bit vanilla. At the same time, that's our base offense. If we can't execute that, we'll be in trouble when it's time to open up the playbook".

Prophetic, huh?

Very good point. YIKES!!! The only difference I notice then from now is we aren't using our play action, and our guys are open Hills just not making the throws.
Our defense had a pass rush after Nolan was canned, so honestly I'm not to worried about that. I dont see us declining due to the fact we didn't lose anyone on the D'line and Balmer looks like a beast. Our offense was ran the ball great, which really sets up the play action and we haven't used it but a couple of times so I would truly have to believe that it will be used during the season. Hopefully she's right and your inaccurate with this post. Respectively.

I hope so too. I'm a die-hard fan (how else would i remember a meaningless statement from 2 years ago, right?).

But reasoning is a b***h and right now it's telling me that we're in for a rough season.

Like other members have said I'll believe it when I see it. I just hope she is right and we have an ace in the hole.
So what? After two games teams will have plenty of film to look at. In the long run I think it hurts more than it helps.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
My problem with the vanilla offense line of reasoning is that our QB cannot get the ball to the wideouts with any regularity. Is that going to change when the offense gets more exotic?

Exactly. Look at teams like the Patriots and the Colts. I'm sure they are not firing at all cilinders but Brady and manning are looking good.
Forget all this talk WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!!! Lol
I agree that it has looked vanilla, but it's preseason and almost every team looks vanilla. Many people think that once the regular season begins then their team can turn it on and really produce, but the problem is that all teams get much more aggressive in their schemes in the regular season. I'm sure the 9ers are going to be somewhat more exciting once the regular season rolls around, but I wouldn't expect any dramatic improvement immediately. I'm still looking at next season as the 9ers breakout season.

I would do the same thing.

What's the point of exposing your tendencies in meaningless football games?

It's getting old.

Prophetic, huh?

Smith said it not Hill.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by Schulzy:

I would do the same thing.

What's the point of exposing your tendencies in meaningless football games?

It's risk versus reward. You don't display ALL your tendecies, but you DO use the bulk of your playbook if you can. This way the players are acclimated to the playbook before the season starts. Nothing like going into the season and not use a good bunch of plays and then have to get the team off the ball on time having to remember "Right 85 Crosspower trap blue fade" (possibly a Vernon Davis dump off play) or some such intricate play when they haven't used it except in training camp. Ya git me?

It's kinda like running through plays one time in practice, for better or worse and then moving on to the next one. Nobody is going to remember it well come game day.

And no the play that I lined out doesn't exist. If it does I expect to field alot of calls asking me where I got my hands on the playbook.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

It's getting old.

Prophetic, huh?

Smith said it not Hill.

~Ceadder

Too late, aleready posted!
hilarious.

just like us, every other team is playing vanilla too. so if our vanilla can't beat their vanilla, then it stands to reason that our "real" offense isn't going to fare any better against their real defense.
Share 49ersWebzone