LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

rumored NFL lockout in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hey , I live down here in Dallas, and this past weekend on the local sports radio station down here, they were talking about a possible lockout in 2011. Personally, I doubt this will happen since so much money$$ will be lost if no football is being played for both owners and players. I wanted to get your takes as well.
[ Edited by Jamespowers on Sep 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM ]
Wont happen no worries
Well I haven't heard any recent rumors from any decent news outlet.

But yes, it is true. If there is no CBA in place by 2010, there will be a lockout.

This is from May 2008, but it does give some details: linkage

-9fA
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3288568

here is another link from a few weeks back. I again doubt there will be any missed games.
So if I'm counting correctly, we should own seven trophies before then.
This is the type of thing that would completely ruin the NFL and open up another leauge to take over.

No player in the NFL makes less that $400,000 a year, to play a kids game.

Think about that, the worst player in the NFL makes as much at the President of the United States, and that's IF he doesn't have a few years of experience.

You're going to have a bunch of millionaires fight with a bunch of billionaires over how much money they should get. In this economic climate, the blue collar guys who have followed the NFL and built it to what it is, would sour on that real quick.

The NFL needs to handle the issues between the players and owners quietly and behind the scenes.

Actually, it's all the owners faults. They are the ones handing out mega contract to guys who don't deserve it. $100 million to Haynesworth? Perhaps they should punish their own guys for creating that kind of market.
One thing that is glaringly obvious to me is the need for a rookie salary cap.

And you're right Boomer^, if there is a lockout during these tough times, football will slowly lose some of it's popularity. People will slowly begin to turn to other leagues to fill that void. It may be hard to bring some of those casual fans back...

-9fA
I agree. No one wins in something like this. Get a deal done, play football and make your money $$, owners and players.
Replacement players!

I'll go tryout.
Originally posted by Apples:
Replacement players!

I'll go tryout.

I would too. If not, there is always the UFL, USFL (returning next spring) and Arena football (also coming back next spring)

No Football=The end of the world!!!
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

According to the Mayan Calendar 2012 is the last year anyway!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

what the f**k could possibly happen
Originally posted by YuNGbOn3:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

what the f**k could possibly happen

No one knows bro but I don't worry about it. It's just take it like the year 2000 was going to be the end of the world speculation. I just thought I would through that out there since someone mentioned the end of the world. I truly believe the NFL and the Union will come to an agreement for sure.
Originally posted by Apples:
Replacement players!

I'll go tryout.

Falco!!!!! Falco!!!!! Falco!!!!! Falco!!!!! Falco!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone