There are 155 users in the forums

In March Ziggy Expendable .. How about now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
on the latest blog , MM says that even if Bruce doesnt retire , McSing will look for a WR in the draft ,

He goes on to say Ziegler may have the best hands on team but his body /size won't hold up . He may not even be around ...
WTF??? I thought he would be a Poor mans John Taylor / Andre Reed some day

Posted this before draft ,
I say he makes 5th Reciever now.

Bruce
Morgan
Hill - Jones when he returns
Ziggy- battle .

Crabtree won't even be seen til the bye week if he signs
[ Edited by ziggy_gonna_rock on Aug 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM ]
Actually I think that's in Barrows blog. I don't know if I agree with him though. I think we should just pick up Holt so we can have a true #1 and concentrate on drafting other positions. I like Zeigler though, he has great hands, long arms, and he's 6'3''. We should throw him some jump balls because he should be able to reach higher than the DB. He's a good athlete too. He deserves a shot.
He needs enough playing time to see whether he can take a beating and keep on catching? If he can run, catch, block, and hold onto the ball when hit then he is our kind of guy. I don't care how skilly he is if he can play he should play.
Might be a little biased there wit the name, but i can see where MM is coming from. Ziegeler isn't in the same caliber as taylor,bruce, or reed, but dont get me wrong, everyone can be proven wrong and would love to see ziegeler succeed with us but ppl do have to look realistically, if bruce leaves we need a WR.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
on the latest blog , MM says that even if Bruce doesnt retire , McSing will look for a WR in the draft ,

He goes on to say Ziegler may have the best hands on team but his body /size won't hold up . He may not even be around ...

Hold up???? How many plays does he get in as a number 4 or 5 receiver?

We should be looking for help at every position anyway, but to single Ziegler out as some kind of liability? BS.
ok, i am not one to rule out ziegler as a wr on this team next year. i hope he plays well and contributes to this team...

but, what i never understand is that people on this forum say that a pplayer is going to be great based on 5 career catches. they will bring up ziegler's catch against zona on 3rd and 20, but so what? he makes a nice clutch play once in his life, and he should be guaranteed a spot on the roster, and should be counted on to perform?

i don't understand this with all other players, too. I mean, these are NFL players, they are supposed to make plays once in a while, at the least. just because they do doesn't make them the second coming....

Dude, if you're going to quote the man you should also quote his reasons for making the statement. His reasoning was the as good as Ziggy's hands are he wouldn't be able to hold up as a down field blocker. Playing WR is about more than catching the ball. Watch any long run and you'll see a WR blocking down field. If the team feels that Ziggy wont be able to assist in that area, I can see him being on the bubble. Especially on a team that wants to be power running team. I hate when people give half the information and get people all worked up over something that sucks, but makes sense. Most importantly, this was only MB's conjecture. Not something that came from the team. Seriously, what team is going to talk about a young player they plan make a TC casualty in March? Calm down people!
Originally posted by niner4life21:
ok, i am not one to rule out ziegler as a wr on this team next year. i hope he plays well and contributes to this team...

but, what i never understand is that people on this forum say that a pplayer is going to be great based on 5 career catches. they will bring up ziegler's catch against zona on 3rd and 20, but so what? he makes a nice clutch play once in his life, and he should be guaranteed a spot on the roster, and should be counted on to perform?

i don't understand this with all other players, too. I mean, these are NFL players, they are supposed to make plays once in a while, at the least. just because they do doesn't make them the second coming....

Yeah seriously, remember Brandon Lloyd?
Ziggy may not have had many opportunities yet to prove himself one way or the other, but when he has had them, he's acquitted himself well. He shines every year in camp, catches just about everything thrown his way and isn't afraid to run over the middle, skinny or not. And as the poster above says, as a 3rd or 4th receiver, the ability to "hold up" may be a moot point with the limited touches he'll get. He's at least earned a shot to show what's up. Then, we can annoint him or bid him adieu. But, as with our other receivers, let's see what we've really got! Too many players never get a valid opportunity because of prejudices re size, weight, stature, etc.
  • Mex49

Wasn't he the only WR that made it all through camp last year unhurt.

And I don't buy the downfield blocking BS either. Now he can't handle blocking the same 190 lbs oppossing db's that he bump and runs with all game long?

BEE-rows!
mutha f**k Crabtree !!!

Up to this point Ziggy has done more so far .
Go Ziggy
But what MM forgot was that Ziggy like Singletary is a Baylor Bear and Singletary's nickname for him is Waco. So that pretty much means he will stay on the team.
All that we have to go by is a few appearences , and what he has done in the camps and pre-season games. He has stayed healthy through that limited amount of hits. I really haven't paid too much attention to his blocking so I will leave that to others. I remember being curious if he would get up after one hit he took but he did. He certainly doesn't look dependable but he hasn't demonstrated that he isn't either so far.
This thread was started on Mar 15, 2009 at 18:32:44 . Why don't we wait for some actual recent news before we start going bat s**t over this!!
Share 49ersWebzone