There are 215 users in the forums

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Well, consider the opponent. Under Nolan, we were losing these types of games to random teams. At least this was a loss to a potential Super Bowl team. I think that we'll bounce back from this and be stronger because of it. That's going to be the real difference.
Originally posted by B650:
Well, consider the opponent. Under Nolan, we were losing these types of games to random teams. At least this was a loss to a potential Super Bowl team. I think that we'll bounce back from this and be stronger because of it. That's going to be the real difference.

Under Nolan we'd be blown out. Not to mention we'd be 0-3.
You have to be the most blind 49ers fan I have seen post on this forum. We called for Nolans Head becuase we were 3 and 1/2 seasons deep into the "Nolan Era" and were getting the same results, i.e. scrapping the game plan early and putting 6 or even 7 DB's on the field in the 4th quarter defense.
We were the under dog in that game, I think Vegas had us dogs for -6. We walked into a hostile croud and battled what was supposed to be a top 5 team and Superbowl contender. No matter what happens coach Sing is going to execute his game plan for the whole game. Hind site is always 20/20. If we pick up the first down from 3 runs than this whole converstaion is dead.
Even when we went 3 and out, I was confident in our defense making a stop, but when Farve has the magic (which he seems to get alot when playing us) there is no stopping him. We are a running football team, get used to it. Given the fact that we didn't convert a single third down all day, what makes you think the vikings defense was going to all of a sudden just let is march down the field.
As I said at the beginning of all this, you have to be blind not to see the significant improvment that coach Sing has brought to this team... we may not win them all, we may not get all the style points but when the 49ers are on the field we are going to get two things (1) run the ball no matter what and (2) are defense is going to hit everyone in the mouth.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:
You have to be the most blind 49ers fan I have seen post on this forum. We called for Nolans Head becuase we were 3 and 1/2 seasons deep into the "Nolan Era" and were getting the same results, i.e. scrapping the game plan early and putting 6 or even 7 DB's on the field in the 4th quarter defense.
We were the under dog in that game, I think Vegas had us dogs for -6. We walked into a hostile croud and battled what was supposed to be a top 5 team and Superbowl contender. No matter what happens coach Sing is going to execute his game plan for the whole game. Hind site is always 20/20. If we pick up the first down from 3 runs than this whole converstaion is dead.
Even when we went 3 and out, I was confident in our defense making a stop, but when Farve has the magic (which he seems to get alot when playing us) there is no stopping him. We are a running football team, get used to it. Given the fact that we didn't convert a single third down all day, what makes you think the vikings defense was going to all of a sudden just let is march down the field.
As I said at the beginning of all this, you have to be blind not to see the significant improvment that coach Sing has brought to this team... we may not win them all, we may not get all the style points but when the 49ers are on the field we are going to get two things (1) run the ball no matter what and (2) are defense is going to hit everyone in the mouth.

We let Favre have magic. I don't care how you analyze it, but you don't run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Vikings' defense (insanity), give Favre the ball back with over a minute left, and then play some soft, p***y defense, letting him march down the field without any pressure. We're a running team, but that doesn't mean we have to be dumb cavemen. We should've been aggressive and put them away. They stole that win from us and a lot of it had to do with bad coaching.

I will say that Mike Singletary did do one thing that I really liked. He called a timeout right before halftime to try and stop the Vikings and get the ball back for a final drive. I liked the aggressiveness there. It didn't exactly work out because Favre connected for a 1st down, but still, we ended up blocking a FG and returning it for a TD. Karma for being aggressive, maybe.

We let Favre have magic. I don't care how you analyze it, but you don't run the ball 3 straight times into the teeth of the Vikings' defense (insanity), give Favre the ball back with over a minute left, and then play some soft, p***y defense, letting him march down the field without any pressure. We're a running team, but that doesn't mean we have to be dumb cavemen. We should've been aggressive and put them away. They stole that win from us and a lot of it had to do with bad coaching.

I will say that Mike Singletary did do one thing that I really liked. He called a timeout right before halftime to try and stop the Vikings and get the ball back for a final drive. I liked the aggressiveness there. It didn't exactly work out because Favre connected for a 1st down, but still, we ended up blocking a FG and returning it for a TD. Karma for being aggressive, maybe.

The runs were called to force the Vikes to burn timeouts.

But you have a valid point about trying to put them away with a pass.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:

The runs were called to force the Vikes to burn timeouts.

But you have a valid point about trying to put them away with a pass.

Yeah, but the thing is, there was plenty of time left for Favre to march down the field, even without any timeouts. I mean, if you're going to give Favre the ball back with over a minute left and no timeouts, at least put some pressure on the guy. You can't just kick back, relax, and let him pick you apart. Fine, you want the Vikings to burn all their timeouts, I could understand that part. But to give the guy the ball back with well over a minute left and play that soft defense, there's no excuse for that! We have to be more aggressive. What's the point of playing defense all day only to give it up in the final seconds by switching to some p***y ass prevent defense? We might as well just play prevent all day then.
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

I think everything is as good as it can be at the present considering what the HC had to work with. EXCEPT for the inane offensive play calling without a shred of adjustment for the most part. ya, ya, run, run, ok, but change it up WHEN IT IS CLEARLY NOT WORKING, ohhh, against THE #1 run defense. Up the gut, especially

Then MS has the balls, well we all know that, to say; if it would have worked you wouldn't be asking. IT didn't, so it didn't, whatever he called was the right call, it just didn't work. Maybe next time it will, we will just go back to working it.. WTF.

Raye and MS inability to call BS on Raye, at least a little, and see the value of what adjustments have to be made is what is going to hurt this team tremendously this year.

Hill is good enough to help a lot, like he has done; WHEN called on. He has a passer rating of 102.5 in the forth quarter and is the 5th rated passer overall, soo. those of you that can't get your heads around that and say, well what has he proven, he aint that good? Get yer head out, he can do it. We don't need the Joe or Steve show, and the concept is foreign to our HC anyway, but why not 25% more open..

Blowing hot air..

If there are no changes in the play calling look for more heartbreak this year, and ya I HATE FARVE...ahhh, somuch better..
We would be 1-2 under Nolan. Thats the difference.

The Vikes are a good team. They are a playoff team. If you don't see that then put some money where your mouth is.
Why the hell are people STILL b***hing about prevent defense?

WTF.

When we blitzed in the first half, it backfired almost EVERY time.

When an offense needs to go the distance of the field and is leaving 5 people to block, are you going to go 4 DBs and blitz? Please.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:18 AM ]

A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.

Ha your logic isn't welcomed here in the zone. The zone is only for fans who have a love hate relationship with the Niners.
Singletary said it wasn't a prevent in his press conference yesterday.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Until we get the right personnel to execute the plays called there's always going to be failure. We need better players to execute the plays that are being called.

Share 49ersWebzone