LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 154 users in the forums

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.

It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

The philosophy is the same.

QB is the main difference.

Regardless of philosophy, QB, etc., Singletary gets MUCH more out of this team than Nolan ever did. Attitude, resiliency and the will to succeed. You can see it in their play.

Honestly, I don't see it in the offense. I see the same old lack of creativity.

As for the Defense, they are playing faster but what is it that allows a Defense to play faster? Could it be the better understanding of a simpler Defense or did they actually slack off last year?

You're right. We see the same things, but you're looking down in the weeds. I'm just seeing an overall "attitude adjustment" and "posture" that is improved.

Of course, I've met Singletary and have heard him speak for an extended period of time. Perhaps, his motivational skills are coming through his football team and giving me delusions of grandeur.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

You are absolutely correct sir. The Zone had a Poll asking who is to blame for this disaster and Sing wasn't even on the list. There is some serious nut loving going on in here.
0-3 and at the press conference Nolan putting the blame on everyone else but himself.
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

We lost because an excellent quarterback made a great pass and the receiver made a fantastic catch on the last play of the game. Just think about what the commentators would be saying now if he had dropped that pass. That's the difference between then and now. This team plays hard, has the respect of the opposing players and coaches, and is growing into a better team with every passing day.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
9 times out of 10 that miracle touchdown doesn't happen. It's Brett Favre. He is a first ballot HOFer that has a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. They played their hearts out with an intensity I never saw under Nolan. It's a loss, but, they played the Vikings tough and were very physical. I like what I see from this team and especially Singletary.
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
0-3 and at the press conference Nolan putting the blame on everyone else but himself.

if this were mike nolan's team still..... after going down 0-10 early in the 1st, minnesota would have continued on extending their lead.

after being down 17-0 we somehow score a FG, and on the ensuing kicking we go for a "surprise" onside kick, which we don't recover.... and AP breaks a long TD run on the next play.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
if this were mike nolan's team still..... after going down 0-10 early in the 1st, minnesota would have continued on extending their lead.

after being down 17-0 we somehow score a FG, and on the ensuing kicking we go for a "surprise" onside kick, which we don't recover.... and AP breaks a long TD run on the next play.

Really? You mean Nolan would have told Shaun Hill where to throw the ball and result in incompletions?
If Nolan was still coach we would have lost by at least 20
Under Nolan we wouldn't have been winning this game until the last few seconds ------ it would have been lost much much earlier or we would never have even held the lead.

Really? You mean Nolan would have told Shaun Hill where to throw the ball and result in incompletions?

dude. it's all about the attitude and mind set of the team.

we've seen it over and over under mike nolan. go down early, and he allowed the team to feel like they're failures, and they continue to fail.

under singletary. they rally!!

a team takes on the personality of a their head coach.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM ]

we've seen it over and over under mike nolan. go down early, and he allowed the team to feel like they're failures, and they continue to fail.

Singletary has nothing to do with the offense. The only person who has the ability to give that huddle of offensive players confidence is the QB. Hill is the leader of the offense, not Singletary and not Raye.

Raye would have called similar plays under Nolan and Hill would do the same thing.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM ]

Singletary has nothing to do with the offense. The only person who has the ability to give that huddle of offensive players confidence is the QB. Hill is the leader of the offense, not Singletary and not Raye.

Raye would have called similar plays under Nolan and Hill would do the same thing.

the head coach has "nothing" to do with how the players execute?
Exectution-wise...

The defense is better, and keeping them in every game thus far. They play more as a unit now, with a lot less confusion out there.

On the offense, I do not see much difference with this team versus the bad offense Nolan teams. They had a few nice scoring drives, but overall they still had a lot of that lagging ass zero production that we have seen many times before the last several years.

On the intangible stuff, overall they play more as a team, and buy into what the coaches want them to do than when Nolan was in charge.

because nolan would have lost to the rams next week...and would have lost to the seasquwaks last week....catch the drift?
Share 49ersWebzone