There are 192 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn is an IDIOT!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/cohn/2010/06/nate-davis-advocates-were-wrong.html

This article makes me wonder if there are any proof readers at the Press Democrat??

Point #1 You start out with a title, " Nate Davis supporters were wrong."

That is a strong statement, how do you know that us Nate Davis supporters were wrong? I watched all 16 games in the regular season games and Nate Davis did not play. If he did play and sucked it up, then your title would be correct.

Point #2- You are a wimp, after having a strong title, you give yourself an out, that he might be the starting qb of the future, and he has tons of potential.

Point #3- If you believe as I do that Nate Davis is the starter of the future, the article should have been titled, David Carr is slowing down Nate Davis's progress due to requiring more snaps in practice.

Point #4- The Jimmy Rate Offense is pretty simple, even Deoin Sanders laughed that Crabtree could master it in a week. Look what Crabtree did with no camp, and little practices.

Point #5- Fans root for the underdog, a 5th round pick with tons of potential is a lot sexier option than a BUST first round pick who failed in Houston and was a back up in NY. We know what Carr can do, do you know what Nate Davis can do?

So Mr. Cohn, Nate Davis supporters were not wrong, we support him as the qb of the future, and dare I say it, the qb of the present.
water is wet
sky is blue.
California is broke
Even though I'm not a Cohn fan I would have to say I agree with him.

All he's saying is that the people who flooded him with emails saying the Davis is ready to be the starting QB last season and right now are wrong.

I like some of the things I saw from the kid in preseason too and enough that I think he's worth the continued investment in developing but I think you're delusional if you think Davis was ready last year and ready this year to be an effective starting QB.

He ran a handful of plays against 3rd stringers running vanilla defenses. That's not even close to not only knowing and running the intricacies of an offense with all it's protections, check downs, etc but than having to understand the intricacies of being able to read starting defenses with all it's complexities with blitzs and coverages.

1st round QBs struggle with this usually their first couple of years before they really start going so the odds of a 5th round developmental project QB picking it up in his first offseason were almost none existant. We drafted him as a development project with the hopes with some polishing we might see some returns from him in year 3 or 4 so let's just leave it at that.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:

All he's saying is that the people who flooded him with emails saying the Davis is ready to be the starting QB last season and right now are wrong.

I like some of the things I saw from the kid in preseason too and enough that I think he's worth the continued investment in developing but I think you're delusional if you think Davis was ready last year and ready this year to be an effective starting QB.

He ran a handful of plays against 3rd stringers running vanilla defenses. That's not even close to not only knowing and running the intricacies of an offense with all it's protections, check downs, etc but than having to understand the intricacies of being able to read starting defenses with all it's complexities with blitzs and coverages.

1st round QBs struggle with this usually their first couple of years before they really start going so the odds of a 5th round developmental project QB picking it up in his first offseason were almost none existant. We drafted him as a development project with the hopes with some polishing we might see some returns from him in year 3 or 4 so let's just leave it at that.

If you are hoping for returns in year 3, he needs to be taking the snaps of a back up in year 2. If the Niners can get the running game going, this will greatly help Nate Davis. Sanchez started year one, and pretty much the Jets had a vanilla play book and just shoved it up players throats.
Only now you are realizing it? The only reason I clicked on his article is because it doesn't show the writter obly the newspaper or media name.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:

If you are hoping for returns in year 3, he needs to be taking the snaps of a back up in year 2. If the Niners can get the running game going, this will greatly help Nate Davis. Sanchez started year one, and pretty much the Jets had a vanilla play book and just shoved it up players throats.

If Davis was a first round pick, everyone would be talking about how great he played in the preseason, and how he's our future quarterback, etc.

But unfortunately, status is important in this world. Right now, his status is "a 5th round pick", and until he gets an opportunity in a game, its not going to change anytime soon, even if he has another monster preseason.

God forbid he throws a pick in the preseason, that might bury him for good.
Smith was the number one overall pick, therefore he gets to start right away and we've given him, what is is now, 5 years to develop? Think Nate Davis will have the same opportunity? No way. I really hope we don't blow it with this kid.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
water is wet

Originally posted by NickSh49:
sky is blue.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
California is broke

And so are you.
I kind of feel for the guy. Imagine being bombarded day and night with stupid question after stupid question of whether Davis should start in 2009, and stupid statement after stupid statement that Davis should start over Smith in 2009. It was dumb a year ago, it is dumb right now, and will probably be dumb in 2011 and beyond. It just showed an utter lack of understanding of how the game works, and many, many fans took the bait and ran with it, throwing sanity out the window.

Stylistically, I wasn't impressed with Cohn's writing. However, you can tell that a year of pent of frustration was released, in this case to the general public.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
water is wet

sky is blue.

California is broke

And so are you.

Cohn, you Jew!
Originally posted by KRS-1:
water is wet

sky is blue.

California is broke

And so are you.

lol, thats awesome Great post KRS
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I kind of feel for the guy. Imagine being bombarded day and night with stupid question after stupid question of whether Davis should start in 2009, and stupid statement after stupid statement that Davis should start over Smith in 2009. It was dumb a year ago, it is dumb right now, and will probably be dumb in 2011 and beyond. It just showed an utter lack of understanding of how the game works, and many, many fans took the bait and ran with it, throwing sanity out the window.

Stylistically, I wasn't impressed with Cohn's writing. However, you can tell that a year of pent of frustration was released, in this case to the general public.

No matter how much yall like Davis, the moment we signed Carr was a sign that he is nowhere near ready. Chances are he will get little time in camp cuz Alex is gonna 90% of the time. but Lowell is still an IDIOT!
  • cools
  • Veteran
Cohn has always been the "Pee on your Cheerios" Pessimistic type
cept it was tough to find things to whine about in the 80's and 90's, but he would

Were lucky nowdays, since there are so many other avenues to read about the Niners.
His stuff gets buried now,
back in the day... before the internet and the Matt's, the Chron green sheet was the only way to get Niner info, so Cohn was one of just a couple guys covering the team and we had to read his drivel a few times a week

Since Maiocco left the Press Dem, Cohn has made a resurgence of sorts,
could be a good career move, Once again becoming the evil Niner writer we all love to hate
Share 49ersWebzone