LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

2012-13 Foshay Wolverines Thread (LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!!)

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
We're still all Foshay fans! I'll support the Jacksons win or lose!!

Congratulations, Pete. You're a helluva coach. Something a lot of us around here always thought you'd be.

I thought only one thing would hold him back - bridging all of his taller players during one-on-one time with coach Z.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
We're still all Foshay fans! I'll support the Jacksons win or lose!!

Congratulations, Pete. You're a helluva coach. Something a lot of us around here always thought you'd be.

I knew the Lakers shoulda hired him..idiots..
A great step toward the future. You and your team should be proud my friend.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
A pretty amazing season ended tonight with a 72-55 loss to New Millenium. My guys scrapped, but at some point talent wins out. What a year.

Congrats on the great season.

Now in HS basketball, would stuff like a larger or more well funded high school suddenly contact you to hire you? Or is it where coaches tend to stay with their school?
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
A pretty amazing season ended tonight with a 72-55 loss to New Millenium. My guys scrapped, but at some point talent wins out. What a year.

Now in HS basketball, would stuff like a larger or more well funded high school suddenly contact you to hire you? Or is it where coaches tend to stay with their school?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was a helluva ride.

Yes, there's a possibility that another school would contact me. Just like anything else, it's a matter of reputation and relationships. This was really my first year of being "out there" as a coach, in that we played multiple tournaments over the summer and fall, and now a good portion of the coaches in our division at least know who I am now.

A year ago, I was very much in love with the idea of staying at this school for 20 years and building it into a powerhouse, but now I'm a bit more aware of the different elements that are required to achieve that, and some of them are out of my control. There is very little support or enthusiasm from the administration, and even amidst our run this year it was a great source of frustration. I'll spare you all of the details, but to give you two small examples, our games are at 4pm because no administrator wants to stick around (so very few parents can make it), and I still don't have keys to the gym after they changed the locks 6 months ago, because I'm so low on the priority list.

I've fought much bigger battles with them over the course of the year, but I think those two things are the most indicative of their mentality. It's frustrating. These kids deserve better than that. The school fancies itself as an academic institution rather than a sport's one, but they behave as though those things are mutually exclusive. Especially in the area that I'm in, stuff like basketball can help create decent citizens out of kids that are mentally checked out in the classroom and don't care anymore.

Anyway...I think I need one more year here, and I then I'll look for a bigger program...or at least a more supportive one.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Good for you. All of us here know how knowledgeable you are with basketball. I personally know how great of a guy you are. I'm confident you will do some big things. I'm glad you got your opportunity and ran with it. Can't wait to hear how the story of Coach Zayas unfolds.

One day they'll make a movie about him starring Samuel L. Jackson, and it'll be called Coach Carter 2.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was a helluva ride.

Yes, there's a possibility that another school would contact me. Just like anything else, it's a matter of reputation and relationships. This was really my first year of being "out there" as a coach, in that we played multiple tournaments over the summer and fall, and now a good portion of the coaches in our division at least know who I am now.

A year ago, I was very much in love with the idea of staying at this school for 20 years and building it into a powerhouse, but now I'm a bit more aware of the different elements that are required to achieve that, and some of them are out of my control. There is very little support or enthusiasm from the administration, and even amidst our run this year it was a great source of frustration. I'll spare you all of the details, but to give you two small examples, our games are at 4pm because no administrator wants to stick around (so very few parents can make it), and I still don't have keys to the gym after they changed the locks 6 months ago, because I'm so low on the priority list.

I've fought much bigger battles with them over the course of the year, but I think those two things are the most indicative of their mentality. It's frustrating. These kids deserve better than that. The school fancies itself as an academic institution rather than a sport's one, but they behave as though those things are mutually exclusive. Especially in the area that I'm in, stuff like basketball can help create decent citizens out of kids that are mentally checked out in the classroom and don't care anymore.

Anyway...I think I need one more year here, and I then I'll look for a bigger program...or at least a more supportive one.

Out of curiosity, is it one of your goals to coach in areas with a lot of "disadvantaged" youths in particular or was it just where you happened to get your first job?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Good for you. All of us here know how knowledgeable you are with basketball. I personally know how great of a guy you are. I'm confident you will do some big things. I'm glad you got your opportunity and ran with it. Can't wait to hear how the story of Coach Zayas unfolds.

One day they'll make a movie about him starring Samuel L. Jackson, and it'll be called Coach Carter 2.
Both of these. Or maybe the Rock as the coach. Or Warwick Davis.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Or David Faustino
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Out of curiosity, is it one of your goals to coach in areas with a lot of "disadvantaged" youths in particular or was it just where you happened to get your first job?

Yes, it was/is. It's been my goal all along to set up an infrastructure to help these kids become men. While I do help them work through life problems directly, my main goal in this respect has been to connect with other guys that are from that area that have become successful. I come from a very different culture, and I realize that there's naturally going to be a gap in terms of how well they can relate to me. I'm blessed with the most amazing guy as my #1 assistant, who's a dude named Rod. Rod's this badass from the hood whose story mirrors many of these kid's. He's intelligent, scrappy, gainfully employed, and 100% street. Him and a couple of other dudes are really the "role models" for these kids, not me. There's this very unfortunate dynamic where a kid has to make the false choice between being a "hood n***a" (as they call it) or "acting white". Rod shows them that you can be hood AND have a good job AND take care of your son AND be intelligent.

When it comes to raising young men, he's the foundation of the program. I'm just the stucco & nails that holds s**t together. But that said...there are plenty of disadvantaged youths in LA. Rod & I could do this a lot more effectively if we had more support from the administration.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

By day....a humble high skoo bassetball coach....by night.. a MUFU*IN SUPA HEEERRROOO!!

Lol. Good moves bro
My team captain just got into West Point!!!!!!!!

Foshay Jacksons getting the honorary salute at halftime at the Laker game!!
Share 49ersWebzone