LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

What is the dumbest team name in all of sports?

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
The whole thing about how names are dumb and it should just be the city, like how it is Internationally....Well teams like BARCELONA, or MANCHESTER UNITED....There is only 1 sport they play, so you're guaranteed to know who they're talking about. If the Jets, Giants, Mets, Yankess, Knicks, Nets, Red Bulls, Rangers didn't have names, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna guess who everyone was talking about. It is crucial in the US.

Having said that there are dumb names. Although I like Pelicans. I don't really care how "fierce" of an animal or thing a mascot is. Who really cares if a bird is weak like a cardinal, or a realllllllllly fierce rare one like an eagle? No one. A Pelican is much more unique though, and is going to be easier to market IMO.

For me, creativity and the way it fits your city is all that matters.

Ones I like: 49ers, Packers, Yankees, Knickerbockers, Pelicans etc.-

Ones I don't like that really didn't take thought or don't make sense for a city: Bengals, Cowboys, Jaguars, Wild, Raptors, TEXANS, Hawks etc

Barcelona plays other sports too.

...and Cowboys make perfect sense for any team in Texas.

Really? I'm sure in San Fran people play handball, pool, backgammon...but they don't matter. I'm sure Barcelona plays other sports, but let's be real clear, it doesn't come close to soccer....I doubt their other sport have figures like Lionel Messi, plus they throw FC after so you know it futbol.

and I have lived in Dallas for 6 years....I haven't seen a cowboy yet. Maybe in Austin, Lubbock, Waco etc, or anywhere else but Dallas

Edit-yes I realize cowboys works in texas, I am just biased in my hate for the team since I live there... you're probably right

Plenty of other sports such as rugby union, rugby league etc etc.

Point is, you are using the shortening. It isn't Manchester United for example. It is Manchester United Football Club. And there are plenty of long established football clubs with names like US sports franchises. Tottenham Hotspur springs to mind. Known colloquially as Spurs they were established in the Nineteenth century.

They are just names. It doesn't matter.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
The whole thing about how names are dumb and it should just be the city, like how it is Internationally....Well teams like BARCELONA, or MANCHESTER UNITED....There is only 1 sport they play, so you're guaranteed to know who they're talking about. If the Jets, Giants, Mets, Yankess, Knicks, Nets, Red Bulls, Rangers didn't have names, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna guess who everyone was talking about. It is crucial in the US.

Having said that there are dumb names. Although I like Pelicans. I don't really care how "fierce" of an animal or thing a mascot is. Who really cares if a bird is weak like a cardinal, or a realllllllllly fierce rare one like an eagle? No one. A Pelican is much more unique though, and is going to be easier to market IMO.

For me, creativity and the way it fits your city is all that matters.

Ones I like: 49ers, Packers, Yankees, Knickerbockers, Pelicans etc.-

Ones I don't like that really didn't take thought or don't make sense for a city: Bengals, Cowboys, Jaguars, Wild, Raptors, TEXANS, Hawks etc

Barcelona plays other sports too.

...and Cowboys make perfect sense for any team in Texas.

Really? I'm sure in San Fran people play handball, pool, backgammon...but they don't matter. I'm sure Barcelona plays other sports, but let's be real clear, it doesn't come close to soccer....I doubt their other sport have figures like Lionel Messi, plus they throw FC after so you know it futbol.

and I have lived in Dallas for 6 years....I haven't seen a cowboy yet. Maybe in Austin, Lubbock, Waco etc, or anywhere else but Dallas

Edit-yes I realize cowboys works in texas, I am just biased in my hate for the team since I live there... you're probably right

Plenty of other sports such as rugby union, rugby league etc etc.

Point is, you are using the shortening. It isn't Manchester United for example. It is Manchester United Football Club. And there are plenty of long established football clubs with names like US sports franchises. Tottenham Hotspur springs to mind. Known colloquially as Spurs they were established in the Nineteenth century.

They are just names. It doesn't matter.

Soccer teams have nick names too...
They don't really hype up the nicks like US teams. At least in England they do.

Manchester United 'Red Devils'
Chelsea 'Blues'
Liverpool 'Reds'
Newcaste 'Magpies'

italy too...
AC Milan - Rossoneri

other teams have them they just aren't as important as in america i guess.
cowboys
Colin Kaepernick
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Colin Kaepernick

Alex Smith
Montreal Expos
My alma mater the UC Irvine Anteaters.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

the anteaters name is awesome!
Metropolitans.
minnesota wild

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Indeed. ZOT!!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Indeed. ZOT!!

haha I actually learned to embrace it and now I'm proud to be an anteater
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Indeed. ZOT!!

haha I actually learned to embrace it and now I'm proud to be an anteater

wait, are you talking about the mascot or your uncircumcised penis?
Lakers.

Seriously, think about it. What is a Lakers? Hey, there's a bunch of lakes here so let's name he team a bunch of lakes, better yet, Lakers.

What does a Lakers do? I don't know. Is it a noun? If so, what is it? Is it a verb?

Seriously, it is like a made up word. Are Lakers people who swim in lakes?
If the hornets change there name to the Pelicans that will be the worst.
Share 49ersWebzone