There are 230 users in the forums

St. Louis Cardinals vs. San Francisco Giants NLCS Thread (SERIES IS TIED! GAME 7 NEXT)

Originally posted by jrg:
I see a lot of "ifs" there man. Yeah, well IF Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright pitch the way both you and I know they can, you guys are f**ked.

lol Wainwright hasnt been the ace he used to be in quite some time.

Cain/Bumgarner/Lincecum/Vogelsong > Carpenter/Wainwright/Lohse/Lynn

Especially now that Lincecum is back to throwing strikes.

Carp seems almost unbeatable in the playoffs, but I dont think you have anyone else that scares anyone.

We just beat a team that is basically a better version of STL, just less experienced. If we split the first 2, i think we take 2 of 3 in STL. Then its up to taking 1 of 2 at home, and i like those odds. Should be another nail biting series.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Lol using the stadiums as excuses now huh? You're reaching bro

Reaching? When the giants had the better record, lost their best player to suspension, lost their third best to wrist surgery, lost their best pitcher to mediocrity. I remember when Kyle lohse was known BY YOU, as Kyle LOSE.

We match up well. Beltran holiday and Molina = Pablo posey and pence IMO. Obviously you can argue towards your side but with who all these players really are, outside of this years numbers I would say its at least close. The other 5 players are pretty equal. I feel like the defense we put out is better than the cards. Romo = motte. Rest of our bullpen is better between Casilla Lopez mijares affeldt and I think Cain = carp. Bum = wainwright. Vogey = Lyon. Lincecum is the wild card.

So I mean pretty equal. Intangibles goes to giants for manager, home field and having the best player in the NL right now.

Again, your opinion will definitely differ. But it's how I feel. I've watched the giants all year. You have watched the cards. I know what this team brings and you know what Yours does. That's why I think it comes down to intangibles. Really do. Can't wait for a great series. I actually want 7 games.

Meh. I could point out all our injuries as well. We didn't have Carpenter all year. Basically the same story for Lance Berkman (most already forgot he was on this team), Furcal gone, McLellan, Jay, Beltran, Freese, Craig, Molina, and many more all hurt for periods of times. Wainwright coming off tommy john. You never know what you'll get. You get what we saw last night..or you get a CG SHO w/ 10+ks. But every team has this kinda stuff. Regarding Lohse, I did call him that. He used to be horrible. He also used to battle injuries all season long. He has been healthy all season this year. What you see is what you get now. 16-3 w/ a bunch of no decisions, low whip, 2.86 ERA. Just awesome.

Lineup wise, you guys have a few hitters. Posey is the only consistent one in my opinion. Pence and Pablo can either be amazing or awful. (from what I've seen)..didn't Pablo get benched at one point? Plus, Pence is a .250 hitter. Basically the same for us w/ Beltran. Holliday = Posey, Molina vs. Pablo? Molina. Then what? Belt? Blanco? Pagan? Crawford? Scutaro? Very meh. I'll respond with Jay, Craig, Freese.

I personally think Cardinals win in 5-6 games. But ya never know. This series could very well go 7.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Cardinals runs allowed = 648

Giants runs allowed = 649

I mentioned run differential to factor in the Cardinals offense that scored more than the Giants.

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

and the giants had the best offense in the 2nd half.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
I see a lot of "ifs" there man. Yeah, well IF Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright pitch the way both you and I know they can, you guys are f**ked.

Carp seems almost unbeatable in the playoffs, but I dont think you have anyone else that scares anyone.

We just beat a team that is basically a better version of STL, just less experienced. If we split the first 2, i think we take 2 of 3 in STL. Then its up to taking 1 of 2 at home, and i like those odds. Should be another nail biting series.

Cain - 16-5 2.79 ERA 193K 1.09 WHIP
Bumgarner - 16-11 3.39 ERA 191K 1.11 WHIP
Lincecum - 10-15 5.18 ERA 190K 1.47 WHIP
Vogelsong - 14-9 3.37 ERA 158 K 1.23 WHIP

Wainwright - 14-13 3.94 ERA 184 K 1.25 WHIP
Lynn - 18-7 3.78 ERA 180K 1.32 WHIP
Lohse - 16-3 2.86 ERA 143K 1.09 WHIP
Carpenter = Carpenter

So, basically, your big bad ace Matt Cain is Kyle Lohse w/ more Ks. But Lohse is someone you're not even worried about.

You also use Lincecum as a guy whos throwing strikes now. Lincecum = Wainwright. Neither of us know what we'll get. He got rocked last night but went 6 IP w/ 1 ER and 10ks his previous start

You beat the Reds. Congrats. We beat the best team in baseball.

Nobody else scares anyone. Lol, alright. I'm bookmarking this page of the thread to get back to you in a few days.
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:

I mentioned run differential to factor in the Cardinals offense that scored more than the Giants.

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

Sure, could be a push. But your guys pitching is what you hang your hats on. We can say that about our offense. Do you really think your offense w/ guys like Blanco, Crawford, Scutaro, Belt etc >>>>> the Cardinals pitching?

Carpenter = Carpenter

So, basically, your big bad ace Matt Cain is Kyle Lohse w/ more Ks. But Lohse is someone you're not even worried about.

Nobody else scares anyone. Lol, alright. I'm bookmarking this page of the thread to get back to you in a few days.

LOL, the fact that you just posted Win totals automatically disqualifies your argument.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Sure, could be a push. But your guys pitching is what you hang your hats on. We can say that about our offense. Do you really think your offense w/ guys like Blanco, Crawford, Scutaro, Belt etc >>>>> the Cardinals pitching?

Pitching hasnt been good in the 2nd half.
It wasnt really that great in the NLDS, rotation wise.

It seems cards have the edge in this series.

We will see how things go.
One thing the Giants have done, is play really clean baseball. They don't beat themselves.

Im curious if the pitching staff can bounce back.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Carpenter = Carpenter

LOL, the fact that you just posted Win totals automatically disqualifies your argument.

You've been disqualified for a while now man. I'm posting their stats. You're just throwing out s**t like "oh, Lincecum is throwing strikes now", "we had the 2nd best offense in the 2nd half" Don't look at wins if you don't want to...your statements are still hilarious.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Pitching hasnt been good in the 2nd half.
It wasnt really that great in the NLDS, rotation wise.

It seems cards have the edge in this series.

We will see how things go.
One thing the Giants have done, is play really clean baseball. They don't beat themselves.

Im curious if the pitching staff can bounce back.

It will be a very close series. I agree w/ what Ninerjohn has said. Low scoring games...the team that gets the big clutch hit will win.

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

We could say the same for Kozma, Descalso, Craig, Jay, etc. Just because they arent household names doesnt mean theyre useless. Scutaro has been one of the best players in baseball the last 2 months.

We just faced the Reds lineup at Great American for 3, and swept it. Were not going to be afraid of the Cards lineup.

• jrg
  • Veteran

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

We could say the same for Kozma, Descalso, Craig, Jay, etc. Just because they arent household names doesnt mean theyre useless. Scutaro has been one of the best players in baseball the last 2 months.

We just faced the Reds lineup at Great American for 3, and swept it. Were not going to be afraid of the Cards lineup.

You can that about Kozma and Descalso. Craig is a 30 HR 100RBI guy when healthy for the whole season. Hell he had .307 22 HR 92RBI this year while missing 43 games. And since you're so into WAR. Check out Jay's WAR. Just the same as guys like Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran.

And oh yes..the big bad Reds lineup. Please, don't be afraid of the Cardinals lineup

[ Edited by jrg on Oct 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM ]

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

You can that about Kozma and Descalso. Craig is a 30 HR 100RBI guy when healthy for the whole season. Hell he had .307 22 HR 92RBI this year while missing 43 games. And since you're so into WAR. Check out Jay's WAR. Just the same as guys like Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran.

And oh yes..the big bad Reds lineup. Please, don't be afraid of the Cardinals lineup

The Reds were doing something right, because they won the division by 9 games. They were a better team than STL this year. You all played the same opponents, and they took the division with ease.

The Cards have a great lineup, but so did Cincy.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

got em swapped.
might as well be a push

The Reds were doing something right, because they won the division by 9 games. They were a better team than STL this year. You all played the same opponents, and they took the division with ease.

The Cards have a great lineup, but so did Cincy.

Ask the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers what winning the division with ease did for them.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

lol pwnt
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:

lol pwnt

the reds lineup

Share 49ersWebzone