LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 202 users in the forums

St. Louis Cardinals vs. San Francisco Giants NLCS Thread (SERIES IS TIED! GAME 7 NEXT)

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
The Cardinals are legit. This is going to be a hell of a match-up. The last two World champions. My fellow Giants fans who aren't giving the Cards respect need to check their egos - we're heading for a win-at-all-costs series here.

Totally agree. Not sure who would think it would be easy. They can pitch and hit, and have playoff experience. It will be tough.

these teams are so evenly matched, it's going to come down to how well each team is managed. Giants have the edge with Boch.
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/nlcs-preview-expect-a-tight-series-giants-cardinals/
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I can add nothing current to this as i became a non baseball fan after the strike they had years ago. before that I was a huge old school cardinal baseball fan. as a kid the niners and cardinal baseball was was my life along with my ultra cool yellow stingray bicycle with the black bananna seat. But old school fans may remember the great history of this rivlary. in 1985ish they had a brawl which resulted in the managers for the team roger craig and whitey herzog getting into a fight. the very very memorable 1987 nlcs featured jeff leonard pissing off the cards when he would run around the bases with one flap down. I think they had several fights in that series as well which went to the cardinals. it is very appropriate that on the 25th anniversary of one of the best nlcs series in baseball history, they meet again
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ILoveAmir:
I am starting to think I may have to root for the cards in this series

Cubs fans can't root for the cardinals. It's against the rules.
that is quite a statement for sarah to make as cub fans hate the cards maybe more than the white sox?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
The Cardinals are legit. This is going to be a hell of a match-up. The last two World champions. My fellow Giants fans who aren't giving the Cards respect need to check their egos - we're heading for a win-at-all-costs series here.

Totally agree. Not sure who would think it would be easy. They can pitch and hit, and have playoff experience. It will be tough.

these teams are so evenly matched, it's going to come down to how well each team is managed. Giants have the edge with Boch.

I could agree here too. You guys definitely have us beat on experience from a managerial standpoint..but so did Davey Johnson.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
I can add nothing current to this as i became a non baseball fan after the strike they had years ago. before that I was a huge old school cardinal baseball fan. as a kid the niners and cardinal baseball was was my life along with my ultra cool yellow stingray bicycle with the black bananna seat. But old school fans may remember the great history of this rivlary. in 1985ish they had a brawl which resulted in the managers for the team roger craig and whitey herzog getting into a fight. the very very memorable 1987 nlcs featured jeff leonard pissing off the cards when he would run around the bases with one flap down. I think they had several fights in that series as well which went to the cardinals. it is very appropriate that on the 25th anniversary of one of the best nlcs series in baseball history, they meet again

It's going to be tight. I don't think I've ever seen a comeback team like the Cards vs a 0-2 comeback three wins in a row team like the Giants before.

Even if the game is 9-0, there's still a chance someone will comeback. Must watch till the end.
Originally posted by jrg:

I could agree here too. You guys definitely have us beat on experience from a managerial standpoint..but so did Davey Johnson.

True, but to be fair, Johnson hadnt managed a postseason team in 16 years. Are you even worried about Matheny making a mistake due to inexperience? I havent heard any criticisms of him this year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jrg:

True, but to be fair, Johnson hadnt managed a postseason team in 16 years. Are you even worried about Matheny making a mistake due to inexperience? I havent heard any criticisms of him this year.

Still, he knows what he is doing. Matheny has done well for the most part, but its impossible to be uneasy regarding that aspect since this is such a huge series. Winner goes to the World Series. One thing he does do that I like more than LaRussa is it seems he has a game plan and sticks to it. Our 7-8-9 guys are Mujica, Boggs, Motte. LaRussa always went off his gut feeling and mixed and matched. A lot of times it worked because he played the matchup, but it also came back to hurt at times because guys never got used to their actual role in the bullpen. Everybody knew Motte was our closer last year. LaRussa refused to call him that. But Matheny has been alright. He had one mistake in the Nationals series that cost us Game 1. He brought in Marc Rzepczynski (who we use ONLY AGAINST LH batters) to face a LH batter (I believe Chad Tracy)..left him in to face RH Tyler Moore who then won the game for the Nationals. Motte should have been brought in.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Ugh...can not wait.

[ Edited by jrg on Oct 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM ]

• jrg
  • Veteran
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Game 1 #NLCS #sfgiants lineup: Pagan CF Scutaro 2B Sandoval 3B Posey C Pence RF Belt 1B Blanco LF Crawford SS Bumgarner P

Game 1 #NLCS #stlcards lineup: Jay CF, Beltran RF, Holliday LF, Craig 1B, Molina C, Freese 3B, Descalso 2B, Kozma SS, Lynn P
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ILoveAmir:
I am starting to think I may have to root for the cards in this series

Cubs fans can't root for the cardinals. It's against the rules.
that is quite a statement for sarah to make as cub fans hate the cards maybe more than the white sox?

Yep lol
Let's go
Share 49ersWebzone