There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 110,670
Originally posted by GameOver:
Hmm...reports are that Phil was stunned the Lakers chose D'Antoni, especially as quickly as they did. Well, it'll be fun to watch that's for sure.

Oh, and I'm calling Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith and fillers. Makes the team more D'Antoni friendly.

One of Dwight Howard's close friends
this is gonna be one awkward thanksgiving at the Buss residence
Originally posted by GameOver:
Hmm...reports are that Phil was stunned the Lakers chose D'Antoni, especially as quickly as they did. Well, it'll be fun to watch that's for sure.

Oh, and I'm calling Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith and fillers. Makes the team more D'Antoni friendly.

I guess PJ wanted too much control that the FO didn't want to give up

I thought it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that he'd be back for a final run with Kobe....
I dont know if the Lakers made the best choice in D'Anotni but I think they will be more fun to watch in his system.
  • IT21
  • Member
  • Posts: 12,081
Better than Mike Brown
What's the Lakers record right now if they had the same line-up last year (but with Bynum out)
IMO its better that they didnt hire PJ because you cant keep running back to him every time you fire a coach. PJ is old and tired and doesnt really have the energy to do the job anymore. Im not sure if Mike D is the answer but I do understand what they were thinking.
Nash = Obviously a great fit for him.

Kobe = I think we see him more at SF, with Meeks getting more run and spreading the floor for Pau & Howard. Kobe will get his regardless, as always.

Metta = This is terrible news for him. Can't run the floor, inconsistent from 3. I see his role diminishing.

Pau = He's the key to whether this works or not. He can either be the 2nd big on the floor that doesn't give Nash & Kobe the space to operate, or D'Antoni can use his great passing ability to help grease the wheels in a similar way to how he used Boris Diaw back in the day.

Howard = Dwight + D'Antoni will be insane. We haven't been using his tremendous ability to run the court as much as we should (and I don't think he's quite there yet with his conditioning either), but once he gets his legs under him this is a match made in heaven. D'Antoni basically gets all the benefit of a young Amare Stoudemire at the 5, without sacrificing the defensive end in the process. Perfect fit.

Blake = I think his role diminishes, and Morris' increases. Not a true PG, and not someone who can push tempo, which is what D'Antoni likes. If Morris keeps playing well, I think he'll snatch the backup PG spot from Blake.

Meeks = Probably doing the Carlton right now.

Ebanks = Theoretically should benefit, but he has his head up his ass, and I think more of Kobe at the 3 will shut the door to his spot in the rotation.

Jamison = Should play more 4 next to Dwight. Personally, I think he's close to done though, and don't want him taking minutes from Hill.

Hill = I'm afraid D'Antoni will cut his minutes, which would be a huge mistake. He's a monster on the boards, and we need to find a place for him on the court...end of discussion.

Morris = Pleasantly surprised by his progress, I wanted him cut during training camp. D'Antoni likes PGs who can push the ball in transition and are willing passers. He's the only player on the roster that allows us to play the same style, even when Nash is on the bench.

Duhon/Clark/Sacre/DJO = Still bench warmers.
I just dont know how to take this fellaz! I mean i know D'Antoni has a great and exciting offense(good connection with Nash to run it), and I've read Dr. Buss wanted to bring back showtime. But its Win the Ship or Bust IMO, and Jackson's offense would have been perfect for this squad(age wise and athleticism), plus the Triangle has the credentials(Championships) to prove that this offense is built to win championships. Just dont know what happened, and what went wrong behind the scenes. I mean why bring up Phil's name to the loyal fans when that wasn't the agenda?

IDK I'm still at a loss for words on the whole fiasco.
End Rant!!!!

Oh well, anything is better then Potato. Welcome aboard Pringles, hopefully you have a better idea on how to utilize our Super talented squad and take us all the way to the Promise Land.
[ Edited by Bleed49ers4Life on Nov 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Nash = Obviously a great fit for him.

Kobe = I think we see him more at SF, with Meeks getting more run and spreading the floor for Pau & Howard. Kobe will get his regardless, as always.

Metta = This is terrible news for him. Can't run the floor, inconsistent from 3. I see his role diminishing.

Pau = He's the key to whether this works or not. He can either be the 2nd big on the floor that doesn't give Nash & Kobe the space to operate, or D'Antoni can use his great passing ability to help grease the wheels in a similar way to how he used Boris Diaw back in the day.

Howard = Dwight + D'Antoni will be insane. We haven't been using his tremendous ability to run the court as much as we should (and I don't think he's quite there yet with his conditioning either), but once he gets his legs under him this is a match made in heaven. D'Antoni basically gets all the benefit of a young Amare Stoudemire at the 5, without sacrificing the defensive end in the process. Perfect fit.

Blake = I think his role diminishes, and Morris' increases. Not a true PG, and not someone who can push tempo, which is what D'Antoni likes. If Morris keeps playing well, I think he'll snatch the backup PG spot from Blake.

Meeks = Probably doing the Carlton right now.

Ebanks = Theoretically should benefit, but he has his head up his ass, and I think more of Kobe at the 3 will shut the door to his spot in the rotation.

Jamison = Should play more 4 next to Dwight. Personally, I think he's close to done though, and don't want him taking minutes from Hill.

Hill = I'm afraid D'Antoni will cut his minutes, which would be a huge mistake. He's a monster on the boards, and we need to find a place for him on the court...end of discussion.

Morris = Pleasantly surprised by his progress, I wanted him cut during training camp. D'Antoni likes PGs who can push the ball in transition and are willing passers. He's the only player on the roster that allows us to play the same style, even when Nash is on the bench.

Duhon/Clark/Sacre/DJO = Still bench warmers.

Amare had developed a nice jumper when he became very deadly in that offense. It's going to be interesting to see how Howard fits with this type of offense.
Basically negated the options of Gasol and Peace. This is a Nash to Howard offense now, with Kobe putting up jump shots.

Why pass on Phil with an aging roster ? Bad choice, methinks.
I'm not at all concerned about the offensive end.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'm not at all concerned about the offensive end.

Heck no. This team will be a lot better on the offensive end with D'Antoni. In the end it will come down to how much improvement they make on the defensive side of the court and whether they get any real production off the bench.

Phil would have been a better fit but we have no way of knowing how many demands he made.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Heck no. This team will be a lot better on the offensive end with D'Antoni. In the end it will come down to how much improvement they make on the defensive side of the court and whether they get any real production off the bench.

Phil would have been a better fit but we have no way of knowing how many demands he made.

If Phil was all in, he would have been a no-brainer. I'm just not entirely convinced that was the case. He coached much of 2011 with seemingly one foot out of the door, and I don't know if his desire has returned. You'd think that the ability to coach this talent would re-energize him, but who knows. At this point there are only a few people who know what went down between the demands and Phil's desire. I wouldn't have been okay with Phil taking certain road games off or making personnel decisions, which was rumored. We all wanted the version of Phil from 2008, but I'm not sure that guy was available. Still disappointed it didn't work out though.

That said, D'Antoni was my 2nd choice. The hiring has Jerry Buss' fingerprints all over it. He's always not only wanted to win, but wanted Laker games to be an "event" that's high on entertainment value. I have my concerns regarding D'Antoni, but his ability to make this historic roster entertaining is definitely not one of them.

This team needed a coach who knows how to get the f**k out of the way and let talented players do their thing. D'Antoni is that guy. I just hope we bring in a defensive assistant that has gravitas. Nate McMillan has been rumored, and would be a solid choice.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com