LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

Who is the best Player in baseball right now?

Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
would you say Matt Stafford is the best qb/ player in the nfl? Yeah, he had a good season, decent rookie season. Are you ready to declare him the greatest?

Kemp, imo, has put up two good seasons, with the last being damn good. He is a good player and will likely become one of the greats of this generation, but not the best as of July 12, 2012

Well to answer your first question I think stafford is probably the 10th best

And I never said Kemp was the best in the game right now. I actually agreed with NinerJohn that Josh Hamilton is.
I just said Kemp is not overrated

people saying he is the best....i say no (id agree top 10)....so...overrated...........
Well to answer your first question I think stafford is probably the 10th best

And I never said Kemp was the best in the game right now. I actually agreed with NinerJohn that Josh Hamilton is.
I just said Kemp is not overrated

Your A's GM Billy B stated he thought by the end of the year, Trout would be the best player in the game. You can't argue with your man ima.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Mike Trout because I am biased

That's my pick.
Rookie or no rookie.

Josh Hamilton is a beast though. But he hasn't hit more than 32 HRs in a season before doe.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Your A's GM Billy B stated he thought by the end of the year, Trout would be the best player in the game. You can't argue with your man ima.

Trout is a beast but I can't label a player as the best in the game after 2 months of being great

But if I were a mlb GM and were able to pick one player, Trout would be the guy
[ Edited by ImaMod on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Trout is a beast but I can't label a player as the best in the game after 2 months of being great

he is already leading the league in stolen bases doe
Originally posted by Garcia:

he is already leading the league in stolen bases doe

3rd in WAR even though he's played in 20 less games than the leaders. Kid is legit for sure.
Double-post. Effing phone.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You mean you arent a total believer in Sabermetrics and hold them as gospel? Shame on you. If you did, you would know that the best player in baseball this year is of course Brett Lawrie. His WAR tops Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, and Andrew McCutchen. Or maybe you also didnt know that Ben Zobrist was the best position player in baseball last year. Not Kemp. Not Braun. Not Ellsbury. Yes BEN ZOBRIST. The highest WAR in baseball.

I dont know. I think I will stick to some of the stone age stats. They seem to be a pretty good measure.

You do know the majority of baseball front offices use the statistics I mention in here on a regular basis right?

I don't know where you got that Lawrie has the best WAR this year, its Votto. and last year it was Ellsbury. WAR isn't the only measuring stick, but its good for taking defense into account.

You're so outdated in this regard, and you don't even know it. You sound like Joe Morgan giving an analysis right now. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Lol, I'm with john on this which I know surprises nobody. Me likes the stone age stuff...

Did the last two WS winners use the stats you mention on a regular basis? Just askin...
Originally posted by dcsham:
Lol, I'm with john on this which I know surprises nobody. Me likes the stone age stuff...

Did the last two WS winners use the stats you mention on a regular basis? Just askin...

Yes I assure you there are people in EVERY front office who know this stuff and make recommendations based on it.
You mean you arent a total believer in Sabermetrics and hold them as gospel? Shame on you. If you did, you would know that the best player in baseball this year is of course Brett Lawrie. His WAR tops Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, and Andrew McCutchen. Or maybe you also didnt know that Ben Zobrist was the best position player in baseball last year. Not Kemp. Not Braun. Not Ellsbury. Yes BEN ZOBRIST. The highest WAR in baseball.

I dont know. I think I will stick to some of the stone age stats. They seem to be a pretty good measure.

You do know the majority of baseball front offices use the statistics I mention in here on a regular basis right?

I don't know where you got that Lawrie has the best WAR this year, its Votto. and last year it was Ellsbury. WAR isn't the only measuring stick, but its good for taking defense into account.

You're so outdated in this regard, and you don't even know it. You sound like Joe Morgan giving an analysis right now. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

1) I think its awesome that you have polled the 30 GMs in baseball on which stats they use on a regular basis. Can you get me their email addresses and their cell phones? I would like to talk to them too.

2) You are really getting obnoxious wtith your sabermetrics and that those of that dont buy into them all as the end all for evaluations somehow are outdated and dont know what we are talking about.

3) As to Zobrist having the highest WAR in 2011 and Lawrie having the highest this year. Well I didnt make it up. If the site isnt accurate I suggest you email them and correct them:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_bat_top_ten.shtml

Lawrie (5.0)
Wright (4.7
Trout (4.6)
Votto (4.5)
McCutchen (4.4)

Zobrist (8.5)
Ellsbury (8.0)
Kemp (7.8)
Pedroia (7.8)
Bautista (7.7)
Braun (7.7)
Votto ? I dont know because he wasnt in top 10 and trailed Alex Gordon

Like I have said over and over... Joey Votto is great. Special player. Your claim that he is the best and its not even close is the one statement in this thread that is totally off base. Maybe you need to watch more baseball and not just study Billy Beane's scouting reports.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM ]

Jose Bautista sucks
The answer varies week to week month to month.

Right now imo its Andrew McCutchen.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
The answer varies week to week month to month.

Right now imo its Andrew McCutchen.

Pretty hard to argue with that right now. I think was the MVP of the first half of the season in the NL. I put Hamilton ahead of him because I think he is a more dynamic hitter but its a toss up.
Originally posted by Jigga:
Joey Votto. And its not close.

Please. Votto is great but its ridiculous to say it isnt close.

No its not. The stats show Votto's production is far beyond any other hitter in the league.

He is doing more to help his team score runs than any other player in the majors right now. Thats just a fact.

He's a beast, but I think that votto's knee injury has kept him out of the lineup a few times over the last month.

McCutch's #s are just as good as Votto's, plus his team is in first place in their division. (yeah, it's the Pirates, but still)

Plus, Votto has Bruce and BPhillips to aid him. McCutch has...?

McCutchen's numbers are close, but not just as good.

.451 v. .437 wOBA, 186 v. 180 wRC+

I would put McCutchen 2nd in terms of pure hitting. You could almost call McCutchen the best player in the league if you were taking positional scarcity and fielding into account, but Votto's WAR is higher as well.
Word.
Either Matt Kemp or Joey Votto
Share 49ersWebzone