LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Who is the best Player in baseball right now?

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by birdieben:
nobody mentioned Robinson Cano.

Best 2B for sure, but probably top 10 in the league easy.

Matt Kemp's defense is average at best unfortunately and I watch the Dodgers a lot. However, he's probably the only 40/40 threat in the majors at this point in time and I'd take a healthy Kemp over anyone in the league.

Mike Trout's going to be ridiculous, if I were starting a franchise it'd be a toss up between him and Harper.

I disagree on Kemp's defense being average but we can agree to disagree. He may not be the best CF out there and perhaps not a sure gold glover but I think he is far above average. His talent is pretty amazing as you say. Probably the only possible 40-40 guy in the game.

I used to think it would be tough to decide between Harper and Trout. However, after watching Trout now it would be a no brainer for me. As I have said in previous posts.. I think this kid is the best young prospect I have ever seen. ( and that is a lot given my age LOL)
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Joey Votto. And its not close.

Please. Votto is great but its ridiculous to say it isnt close.

No its not. The stats show Votto's production is far beyond any other hitter in the league.

He is doing more to help his team score runs than any other player in the majors right now. Thats just a fact.

Yes it is. Its one thing to say you think he is the best. Its another to say that it "isnt even close" I think Votto is great but he plays in perhaps the best hitters park in baseball. In the NL he is 21st in RBI and 14th in HR. As for speed.. just 5 sbs. His home/away splits are telling as well. On the road he has only 4 hrs and 18 rbi.

This year I dont think its a "fact: that he does more to help his team score runs" than anyone else. McCutchen leads him in HRS, Runs, RBI. total bases, stolen bases, sac flies and other areas I'm sure.

I think Joey Votto is a top 5 player in the game but I simply do not buy that he is SO much ahead of Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen.

I do believe the title of this thread is BEST PLAYER in the game. Not best hitter. That means, running, throwing, stealing, hitting, and defense.

Mike Trout.

Love Trout but he has to play more than 1/2 a season to get annointed the best player in the game for me. However, if I am a GM and could take any player he would be the one.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Love Trout but he has to play more than 1/2 a season to get annointed the best player in the game for me. However, if I am a GM and could take any player he would be the one.

Stats don't lie. Kid does it all.

If we are going proven players I think Matt Kemp is the best. 5-Tool player. (when healthy).
Gold Glover and 40HR/40Steals potential.

Votto can't do that.

**Andrew McCutchen is approaching this type of merit. Another 5-Tool Player
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by birdieben:
nobody mentioned Robinson Cano.

because he's not the best player in baseball
Yes it is. Its one thing to say you think he is the best. Its another to say that it "isnt even close" I think Votto is great but he plays in perhaps the best hitters park in baseball. In the NL he is 21st in RBI and 14th in HR. As for speed.. just 5 sbs. His home/away splits are telling as well. On the road he has only 4 hrs and 18 rbi.

This year I dont think its a "fact: that he does more to help his team score runs" than anyone else. McCutchen leads him in HRS, Runs, RBI. total bases, stolen bases, sac flies and other areas I'm sure.

I think Joey Votto is a top 5 player in the game but I simply do not buy that he is SO much ahead of Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp, Andrew McCutchen.

lol jeez, that analysis is from like the Dark Ages. HRs and RBIs? Wow...

I knew that would be your comeback Mr. Sabermetric. THats right.. homeruns are meaningless. LOL I notice you didnt say anything about his splits or that he plays 1/2 his games in a bandbox of a park. Votto is great. So is Miguel Cabrera who hasnt been mentioned. There are at least 5-6 players you could make an argument for as the best player. There is NO one that you can say is #1 and its not even close though.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

I knew that would be your comeback Mr. Sabermetric. THats right.. homeruns are meaningless. LOL

lol

I hate when people try to make sports statistics so complicated
I dunno, but if I get one player, its mike trout
Originally posted by ImaMod:

I knew that would be your comeback Mr. Sabermetric. THats right.. homeruns are meaningless. LOL

lol

I hate when people try to make sports statistics so complicated

You mean you arent a total believer in Sabermetrics and hold them as gospel? Shame on you. If you did, you would know that the best player in baseball this year is of course Brett Lawrie. His WAR tops Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, and Andrew McCutchen. Or maybe you also didnt know that Ben Zobrist was the best position player in baseball last year. Not Kemp. Not Braun. Not Ellsbury. Yes BEN ZOBRIST. The highest WAR in baseball.

I dont know. I think I will stick to some of the stone age stats. They seem to be a pretty good measure.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM ]
Josh Hamilton

You mean you arent a total believer in Sabermetrics and hold them as gospel? Shame on you. If you did, you would know that the best player in baseball this year is of course Brett Lawrie. His WAR tops Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, and Andrew McCutchen. Or maybe you also didnt know that Ben Zobrist was the best position player in baseball last year. Not Kemp. Not Braun. Not Ellsbury. Yes BEN ZOBRIST. The highest WAR in baseball.

I dont know. I think I will stick to some of the stone age stats. They seem to be a pretty good measure.

You do know the majority of baseball front offices use the statistics I mention in here on a regular basis right?

I don't know where you got that Lawrie has the best WAR this year, its Votto. and last year it was Ellsbury. WAR isn't the only measuring stick, but its good for taking defense into account.

You're so outdated in this regard, and you don't even know it. You sound like Joe Morgan giving an analysis right now. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran

You do know the majority of baseball front offices use the statistics I mention in here on a regular basis right?

I don't know where you got that Lawrie has the best WAR this year, its Votto. and last year it was Ellsbury. WAR isn't the only measuring stick, but its good for taking defense into account.

You're so outdated in this regard, and you don't even know it. You sound like Joe Morgan giving an analysis right now. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Originally posted by ImaMod:
This
I think Votto is underrated though

Kemp is up there

lol seriously. I'm looking forward to your explanation

would you say Matt Stafford is the best qb/ player in the nfl? Yeah, he had a good season, decent rookie season. Are you ready to declare him the greatest?

Kemp, imo, has put up two good seasons, with the last being damn good. He is a good player and will likely become one of the greats of this generation, but not the best as of July 12, 2012
Mike Trout because I am biased
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
would you say Matt Stafford is the best qb/ player in the nfl? Yeah, he had a good season, decent rookie season. Are you ready to declare him the greatest?

Kemp, imo, has put up two good seasons, with the last being damn good. He is a good player and will likely become one of the greats of this generation, but not the best as of July 12, 2012

Well to answer your first question I think stafford is probably the 10th best

And I never said Kemp was the best in the game right now. I actually agreed with NinerJohn that Josh Hamilton is.
I just said Kemp is not overrated
Share 49ersWebzone