There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kobe Bryant Suggests 2012 U.S. Team Could Beat 1992 ‘Dream Team' what do you think?

Kobe Bryant Suggests 2012 U.S. Team Could Beat 1992 ‘Dream Team' what do you think?

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
There's no point in disputing everything in this post, because my response would be a mile long. Like I said, every measurable sport has been improved significantly in the last 20 years. And it's not just about bigger/stronger/faster. It's about training, preparation, knowledge, coaching, etc. as well. But if there wasn't a stopwatch to objectively tell people otherwise, people would be arguing about who was better at the 100m dash....Usain Bolt or Carl Lewis. But somehow, you think that despite the massive growth that the sport has taken in that period of time...much more than other, measurable sports, which have still seen enormous upticks in their achievements despite not enjoying similar growth...basketball has taken a step backward, making it somehow different than every other athletic endeavor in human history.

The initial point of contention was the quality of today's defenses. If you don't see how the improvement in scouting and preparation, along with superior size & athleticism, translates to better NBA defenses, I don't know what to say.

I think that it's telling that 6 out of the 10 players on your all time teams were in their primes between 1985-1995. What an incredibly anomalous 10 years that must have been. And the idea that Jerry West was a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant is obscene to me.

You gave an example of 100m track race...and yes Usain Bolt and others have run faster times, but there are plenty of track and field records which stand from 80s and 90s. If you look at other US sports - NFL tackling has gotten worse and worse. It took steroids and PEDs to break Morris and Hank's HRs records. Nolan Ryan has over 5500 strikeouts and no one has come close...and you can go on and on.

I really don't think one can say that NBA defenses are better than they were in 80s or 90s simply because today's athletes are faster, stronger, bigger and have access to better coaching and scouting. In fact, I'm not sure if coaching is better today. It is more efficient with the use of technology and what not, but not necessarily better.

The biggest reason why I feel 92 dream team beats current team is because majority of the players during that era played with the right mind-set. They played the team-sport as a team-sport - therefore it was a lot easier back then to put together a team of top players. Today, most players on the 2012 team don't know what to do when the ball is not in their hands.
Nope.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nope.

Yeah, no way. I actually think the original redeem team has a better shot
Sup with Gasols eye
[ Edited by YungAce on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by YungAce:
Sup with Gasols eye

Lebron was finger-banging it.

Now since there's no Pippen, I think I'm gonna go for the 2012 team now.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Stupid broke ass Scottie. Instead of accepting whatever they were offering, he's getting nothing.
Originally posted by dobo:

Stupid broke ass Scottie. Instead of accepting whatever they were offering, he's getting nothing.

who the hell is #10?
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by dobo:

who the hell is #10?

Nevermind Clyde the Glide, lol lmfao roflmao
Scottie changed his mind, he's back on the team:

Lol

Laettner you lucky ba*tard.
The refs let some hard fouls go back then during the playoffs. Players would get ejected and probably suspended for doing the same thing now. Check out the video.

In the Pistons' fitting final insult, Dennis Rodman threw Pippen into the stands in the second quarter of Game 4 with the Bulls pulling away. Pippen suffered a severe gash that needed six stitches to close. But there would be no retaliation but free throws made. After leaving clinching games against the Pistons with a migraine headache and a blow from Bill Laimbeer, Pippen stood tall and composed. Pippen had 23 points and 10 rebounds as the Bulls closed out the Pistons run with a 21-point blowout victory and the Pistons demonstrating the unsportsmanlike ways Jordan described.
http://www.nba.com/bulls/video/2011/03/01/0228XXBEATINGTHEBADBOYSmov-1576018
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM ]
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
http://kotaku.com/5947550/kobe-and-lebrons-olympic-squad-lose-to-1992s-dream-team-says-nba-2k13
Originally posted by Nes49:
http://kotaku.com/5947550/kobe-and-lebrons-olympic-squad-lose-to-1992s-dream-team-says-nba-2k13

Magic Johnson cheated, he was eight inches taller.