There are 177 users in the forums

The Official 2012 MLB Draft Thread

BOOM goes the dynamite
The suckiest draft amongst the 3 major sports, this is the one draft where it doesnt really matter who goes where cuz you have years to develop them not much pressure right off the bat
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Giants Pick 20th.

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
The suckiest draft amongst the 3 major sports, this is the one draft where it doesnt really matter who goes where cuz you have years to develop them not much pressure right off the bat

I agree.
I think they could make it more entertaining IMO.
It's one of the only sports who drafts Highschool kids, so yeah the waiting period has a negative impact.

I hate the NBA Draft. The lottery is so stupid.

I know you like the Braves, you guys pick 21st... 1 pick after the Giants.

According to ESPN, they got you guys picking a SS
Tanner Rahier, SS, Palm Desert (Calif.) H.S.

I've been hearing this one for two months or more; I doubt Rahier, who wants to play pro ball, gets out of the round. Also hearing Atlanta with Mitch Haniger, Pierce Johnson and Brian Johnson.
what time is the draft?

NVM.
[ Edited by niners4lyfe on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM ]
A's will take a college bat and the Giants a prep arm.

There are some really interesting players that could be around when the Giants pick: Stephen Piscotty, Marcus Stroman, Lucas Giolito (long shot but maybe?)

well I have four friends who should get drafted this year so I am hoping the best. (one of them was drafted last year but stayed in school)

Jake Stewart Stanford
Mike Tauchman Bradley
Derrick Chung Sac State
DJ Crumlich UC Irvine
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

well I have four friends who should get drafted this year so I am hoping the best. (one of them was drafted last year but stayed in school)

Jake Stewart Stanford
Mike Tauchman Bradley
Derrick Chung Sac State
DJ Crumlich UC Irvine

That's cool, best of luck to them.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
ESPN Draft Day Podcast

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8007899
Appel apparently going numero uno.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Appel apparently going numero uno.

I think that has been a lock for a while now, despite reports that they were "still deciding"

It should go: Appel, Buxton, Zunino, Gausmann... then it gets a bit more shakey but would likely be: Zimmer, Almora, Correa and then its a free for all.

Its a travesty that Correa could make it that far, he may be the best player in the entire class.

SI Mock Draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/06/04/mock.draft.2012/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0

For you Giants Fans
20: San Francsico Giants -- Stephen Piscotty, OF/3B/1B, Stanford

Currently ranked 13th in home runs in the NL, the Giants are desperate for power. Nearby Stanford may provide at least part of the answer in Piscotty, a slugger whose easy, sweeping power swing would fit comfortably in the middle of the San Francisco lineup.

and for the Braves
21: Atlanta Braves: Lance McCullers, Jr., RHP, Jesuit HS, Tampa, Fla.

For 20 years, the Braves have been a model of intelligent drafting and superior player development, targeting local prospects early in the draft and focusing on tools, not mathematical formulas. McCullers, the son of a former big league pitcher, has tremendous stuff and fits as a starter or closer.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
John Sickles has us taking a high school pitcher

20) San Francisco Giants: A sturdy hard-throwing high school arm like Nick Travieso, RHP, Florida HS seems like a good bet here. Ty Buttrey, Walker Weickel, Zach Eflin, Shane Watson, and Lucas Sims are all logical too. If they want a bat, Gallo or Seager would make sense.

If Giants go hitter, I'm hoping Victor Roache or Joey Gallo, Roache cranked out 6 HR's in the Cape cod league which uses wooden bats.
Baseball America

Normally a corner infielder known for big raw power, Gallo has excellent arm strength and many scouts think he has a better future on the mound. He flashed that potential today when his first pitch was a 96 mph fastball. He sat 93-96 early in his outing and touched 97 while adding in a high-70s curveball that shows sharp, downward break, but is inconsistent now. Gallo has a great frame at 6-foot-5, 225 pounds and a fairly easy delivery. Even though his father is a pitching instructor, Gallo hasn't spent a lot of time on the mound, so his fastball can vary quite a bit and he doesn't hold the velocity very deep yet. However, his raw ability is impressive and today's outing may have added to the case that scouts want to draft him as a pitcher. At the plate, he's 0-for-8 so far in the tournament with four strikeouts.

[ Edited by jimrat on Jun 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]

For you Giants Fans
20: San Francsico Giants -- Stephen Piscotty, OF/3B/1B, Stanford

Currently ranked 13th in home runs in the NL, the Giants are desperate for power. Nearby Stanford may provide at least part of the answer in Piscotty, a slugger whose easy, sweeping power swing would fit comfortably in the middle of the San Francisco lineup.

Dude from SI must not watch much of Stanford baseball...

Its hardly fair to say Piscotty (or any Stanford hitter for that matter) has an "easy sweeping power swing." They're all geared to hit up the middle. Most reports have Piscotty as no more than a 20 HR hitter. With that said, I'd still like the pick.
I like Piscotty, D.J. Davis or Victor Roache (who could be a steal at 20) for the Giants.
Who the f**k watches this s**t
Share 49ersWebzone