LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

NCAA considering football playoff starting 2014.

Finally it looks like the NCAA is giving a playoff. They are discussing a system where there will be a 4 team playoff, with two semi finals played in new years day and the final played a week later. To participate in the playoffs teams must win there conference thus eliminating the chance of two teams from the same conference playing in the national championship.

I am very interested to see how this develops, The system has needed an over haul for awhile. I am hoping this comes into being. It sounds like the Rose Bowl still wants to keep its traditional Big 10-Pac 12 matchup so it will be interesting to see how they spread these playoff games out and if the major bowl games will exist in some way shape or form.
Me likey
Under that system last year the semi final match ups would of been LSU vs Boise State and Oregon vs Oklahoma State.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
As I've always said, Take the top 4 BCS ranked teams.

Team 1 vs Team 4 in the Rose Bowl
Team 2 vs Team 3 in the Sugar Bowl
Winners play in BCS Championship game a week later

Following year, Fiesta and Orange host top 4 teams and keep switching off. If two teams from teh same conference have the best teams, then so be it. This keeps the importance of the BCS rankings as well as rewarding a team with a tough schedule. If only conference winners are eligible, teams will try to sugarcoat their schedule.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Will watch lol
Originally posted by Muggins:
Will watch lol

WILL FAP

to muggins
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by Muggins:
Will watch lol

WILL FAP

to muggins

stop tryin to be HTA
Originally posted by Amir:

Following year, Fiesta and Orange host top 4 teams and keep switching off. If two teams from teh same conference have the best teams, then so be it. This keeps the importance of the BCS rankings as well as rewarding a team with a tough schedule. If only conference winners are eligible, teams will try to sugarcoat their schedule.

I like the emphasis on winning the conference to advance. Now if a small conference school puts a bunch of cupcakes on the schedule you would hope the voters would be smart enough to put them behind the major conference winners.
Seems like the SEC wants to make it the four best teams in the playoff based on the BCS rankings. Doesn't surprise me they want that as they have been by far the best conference in the last 10 years.
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Seems like the SEC wants to make it the four best teams in the playoff based on the BCS rankings. Doesn't surprise me they want that as they have been by far the best conference in the last 10 years.

lol no

Originally posted by TheRambler:

lol no

I am a Big Ten football fan and even I recognise the fact that the SEC is dominate. Here are the facts we will take BCS bowl game records by conference broken down by win %

SEC -.696
PAC 12- .600
Big East-.500
BIG 10-.458
BIG 12-.421
ACC-.133

Even more startling is there record in the championship game in the BCS era where they have 8 wins from 9 attempts the next closest conference in wins is the Big 12 which is 2 wins from 7 appearances. So anyone who can come up with a legitimate argument that the SEC isn't by far the best conference in the last 10 years is a better man than me because to me these facts are indisputable
[ Edited by 49erstrandedinclev on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Maybe if they have a 32 team playoff the ACC might get a spot lol
Originally posted by TheRambler:

lol no

I am a Big Ten football fan and even I recognise the fact that the SEC is dominate. Here are the facts we will take BCS bowl game records by conference broken down by win %

SEC -.696
PAC 12- .600
Big East-.500
BIG 10-.458
BIG 12-.421
ACC-.133

Even more startling is there record in the championship game in the BCS era where they have 8 wins from 9 attempts the next closest conference in wins is the Big 12 which is 2 wins from 7 appearances. So anyone who can come up with a legitimate argument that the SEC isn't by far the best conference in the last 10 years is a better man than me because to me these facts are indisputable

The PAC is looking nice, 600% in bcs games.
The Commissioners of the BCS conferences have come to a consensus for starting a playoff in 2014. There are still some details to be hashed out but it seems a 4 team playoff will start in 2014. It seems that the Semi Finals will exist under the current Bowl structure but the final will be given to a city on a year to year basis going to the highest bidder.
Originally posted by Amir:

The main reason for keeping the playoff with nonconference teams is that same conference teams will have already played one another...right...since they are in the same conference?
Share 49ersWebzone