There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mayweather vs Cotto and Canelo vs Mosley (May 5th HBO PPV)

Good fight this weekend. Cotto did the best he could and all I wanted was to see a competitive opponent for PBF and to see him bleed. I gained a little bit more respect for Floyd for his post fight interview, sounding humble and generous, and reminding the rest of the world that the main reason why the biggest fight in boxing history hasn't happened yet is because of Bob Arum. Fckin hate that guy.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
so ....anyways..

Floyd blocks his face with his shoulder and his other hand while his left hand blocks his stomach and left side.
It's really hard to get in there without speed and power. I think if Pac fights like he did 5 years ago, which he probably would given that he hates Floyd, he could beat him. Cotto did alot better than I ever thought that he would. That clinch was trouble for Floyd. Floyd didn't look spectacular. He looked almost OVERRATED.

Here's the thing though, as different styles counter different opponents;

PBF beat Marquez
Marquez barely lost (and some say even beat )Pac two times. Pac def struggled against Marquez

Pac whups on Cotto
PBF struggles against Cotto but edges out a win

If Pac and PBF ever meet, who knows which type of fighter shows up.
Both are avoiding each other for sparring matches and bigger pay.
Wouldn't you?

This fight won't happen until they're old as s**t , even if Maywither


The Cotto MAnny whupped on and the Cotto Mayweather fought are different. Cotto's trainer has made a lot og changes to Cottos style. There is never a direct comparison. The old saying in boxing is styles make fights.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,062
Major props to Floyd for a great fight and fighting Cotto at 154. He was in a real fight for the first time in a long time and did what he always does, win. Aite, so what's next for Money?

He goes to Jail from June 1 to Aug 30. We all know who we wanna see him fight next but I don't think it's realistically possible by the end of the year. With him getting out Sep 1, there isn't enough time to promote a Floyd/Manny fight before the end of December. I also don't think he would want to come out of jail and then head into the biggest fight of his life. Plus knowing Floyd, he loves fighting in May and September, two best months for big boxing matches.

So, does Floyd fight someone else in let's say November/Early December or does he wait until next May to hopefully fight Manny. If he does wanna fight someone not named Manny in Nov/Dec, who would it be? King Serg? I doub't Floyd takes a chance with Sergio before a Manny fight. My guess, he'll fight Amir Khan if he beats Peterson. If Khan loses to Peterson, I think Floyd waits until next year to hopefully fight Manny. Floyd knows he can beat Amir Khan and Khan is a big draw that floyd can get one more fight in and make a ton more money.

Thoughts?
If Floyd can get a fight with Manny next, I don't foresee him fighting before that. Wouldn't that be an unnecessary risk for him? With the ridiculous amount of money that he will receive from the Manny fight, why would he want to risk that?

If we don't get a fight with Manny, it would be kind of cool to see him fight Khan. After that Canelo because Floyd probably has two or three fights left in his career right? …. On a different topic, there has been a lot of buzz about Timothy Bradley lately. I haven't seen him fight. Is he really that good? A legit threat to Manny?
Originally posted by Amir:
Major props to Floyd for a great fight and fighting Cotto at 154. He was in a real fight for the first time in a long time and did what he always does, win. Aite, so what's next for Money?

He goes to Jail from June 1 to Aug 30. We all know who we wanna see him fight next but I don't think it's realistically possible by the end of the year. With him getting out Sep 1, there isn't enough time to promote a Floyd/Manny fight before the end of December. I also don't think he would want to come out of jail and then head into the biggest fight of his life. Plus knowing Floyd, he loves fighting in May and September, two best months for big boxing matches.

So, does Floyd fight someone else in let's say November/Early December or does he wait until next May to hopefully fight Manny. If he does wanna fight someone not named Manny in Nov/Dec, who would it be? King Serg? I doub't Floyd takes a chance with Sergio before a Manny fight. My guess, he'll fight Amir Khan if he beats Peterson. If Khan loses to Peterson, I think Floyd waits until next year to hopefully fight Manny. Floyd knows he can beat Amir Khan and Khan is a big draw that floyd can get one more fight in and make a ton more money.

Thoughts?

If I was in Mayweather's shoes, I'd take the rest of the year off and wait until May. Being out of training for 3 months, then coming back to fight Khan/Sergio/Canelo would be a bad idea. Just wait out until May, try to get the Manny/Floyd rumors going again, and hopefully Manny will shove Arum's fatass out the way and sign the contract. If not, then we'll probably see a match with Sergio/Canelo/Khan.
didn't watch lol









Originally posted by sacniner:
If Floyd can get a fight with Manny next, I don't foresee him fighting before that. Wouldn't that be an unnecessary risk for him? With the ridiculous amount of money that he will receive from the Manny fight, why would he want to risk that?

If we don't get a fight with Manny, it would be kind of cool to see him fight Khan. After that Canelo because Floyd probably has two or three fights left in his career right? …. On a different topic, there has been a lot of buzz about Timothy Bradley lately. I haven't seen him fight. Is he really that good? A legit threat to Manny?

No he's not a threat. He's good, but not on that elite level, IMO. He's been ducking Khan for awhile, too. From what it looks, he wants that big paycheck.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,062
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
The Cotto MAnny whupped on and the Cotto Mayweather fought are different. Cotto's trainer has made a lot og changes to Cottos style. There is never a direct comparison. The old saying in boxing is styles make fights.

THIS

Manny whooped Cotto and Cotto looked good against Floyd. Floyd whooped JMM and JMM always looks good against Manny. Obviously, there were weight issues with each fight but you get the idea.
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
The Cotto MAnny whupped on and the Cotto Mayweather fought are different. Cotto's trainer has made a lot og changes to Cottos style. There is never a direct comparison. The old saying in boxing is styles make fights.

THIS

Manny whooped Cotto and Cotto looked good against Floyd. Floyd whooped JMM and JMM always looks good against Manny. Obviously, there were weight issues with each fight but you get the idea.

What people need to understand is that the styles of each fighter always makes a different sort of fight. Just because Manny destroyed Cotto didn't mean that the same results would happen against Floyd. Just because Manny has a hard time would JMM doesn't mean Floyd will as well. It's all about the styles of the fighters.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,062
Also, what do you think is next for the other 2 stars, Cotto and Canelo.

Personally, I'd love to see Cotto vs Canelo with the winner taking on King Serg. Golden Boy has said that Canelo will fight next on Sept 15 with the opponent not yet determined. I'm not sure if Cotto is ready to take on another great challenger in 3 months. Wouldn't put it past him though.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
No he's not a threat. He's good, but not on that elite level, IMO. He's been ducking Khan for awhile, too. From what it looks, he wants that big paycheck.

Yup, that is why he called out Manny. The media is trying to make more money for this fight also by building up Bradley.
It was HILARIOUS when Micheal Buffer said,''.....and NEW..''

The boxing newbs were like ,'' WHAT? COTTO WON?'' for like a quick second lol
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,062
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
No he's not a threat. He's good, but not on that elite level, IMO. He's been ducking Khan for awhile, too. From what it looks, he wants that big paycheck.

Yup, that is why he called out Manny. The media is trying to make more money for this fight also by building up Bradley.

Bradley is a good boxer but 1. he should've fought Khan at 140 2. hes never fought at 147. Never having fought at Welterweight and never having fought a big name (I don't count Devon Alexander) is not a good formula when facing someone of Manny's caliber.
So I'm kind of surprised boxing fans were so excited about this match.

Did anyone think Cotto had a shot?

Unless its Manny - Mayweather, I won't be watching any matches.
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
No he's not a threat. He's good, but not on that elite level, IMO. He's been ducking Khan for awhile, too. From what it looks, he wants that big paycheck.

Yup, that is why he called out Manny. The media is trying to make more money for this fight also by building up Bradley.

Bradley is a good boxer but 1. he should've fought Khan at 140 2. hes never fought at 147. Never having fought at Welterweight and never having fought a big name (I don't count Devon Alexander) is not a good formula when facing someone of Manny's caliber.

After Nate Campbell he fought Abregu at 147
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home