There are 189 users in the forums

Mayweather vs Cotto and Canelo vs Mosley (May 5th HBO PPV)

Good fight!!

But we want to see THE big mega fight now
I love the fact that Floyd fought Cooto at 154 (Cotto's natural wieght) instead of trying to drain cotto before the fight. After seeing Floyd take punches from a true 154 pounder as well as stand and trade with him, I see no way of PacMan beating floyd.

Floyd seems to be able to adapt to anything in the ring. I used to say; Yeah but... can floyd take a punch, can floyd fight a real puncher boxer, can floyd stand in there and bag, can he fight without running. He proved he can do all of that in this fight.

What could Manny do to counter Floyd? If he stands and trades he's in trouble! He can't out box floyd, and his defense is suspect. Manny would have a punchers chance and that is about it. I don't like a punchers chance against the best defensive fighter in the world.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I love the fact that Floyd fought Cooto at 154 (Cotto's natural wieght) instead of trying to drain cotto before the fight. After seeing Floyd take punches from a true 154 pounder as well as stand and trade with him, I see no way of PacMan beating floyd.

Floyd seems to be able to adapt to anything in the ring. I used to say; Yeah but... can floyd take a punch, can floyd fight a real puncher boxer, can floyd stand in there and bag, can he fight without running. He proved he can do all of that in this fight.

What could Manny do to counter Floyd? If he stands and trades he's in trouble! He can't out box floyd, and his defense is suspect. Manny would have a punchers chance and that is about it. I don't like a punchers chance against the best defensive fighter in the world.

The world will never know.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Here's what so funny about all you UFC fvg bois.

Every boxing match that comes on sux. blah blah blah.

BUT

EVERY UFC fight that comes on, is a great fightcard. There are no bad UFC matchups?

Look I get it, you like UFC better than boxing. That's fine. No one cares. But stop trying to make yourself believe that boxing is dying. Again, look at the money the sport makes. If the money is there, the sport is fine.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ersSince85:
I totally disagree, manny became huge when he had multiple wars with Morales and Barrara. well id say boxing is dying a slow death, ufc is consistently more exciting. Every month theres a great ufc fight card. I agree that there is nothing like a big time boxing match, nobody not even ufc can match the excitement/atmosphere but boxing is running out of stars, canelo cant fight himself, and even a true boxing fan like myself is giving up hope for the sport , I only look forward to mayweather and pacquiao fights n once there gone so will i, what boxing needs is canelo to beat mayweather or pacqiuao, take over the thrown, him beating up has beens like mosley doesnt make me want to order a ppv in the future where hes the headliner, honestly I wish we could Have fights like the one tonight every month because it was a awesome and a very entertaining fight but Theres just not enough talented boxers to do it.

Manny started getting some popularity after the battles with Morales/Barrera and JMM. But again, he didn't get hugely popular until he fought DLH. Look at his PPV sales, he started doing 1M+ after DLH, never before him.

Just like Floyd and Manny became popular after they beat DLH, the next popular superstar will be the one who beats Manny and/or Floyd. If not, someone else will. It always happens.
Originally posted by Amir:
I totally disagree, manny became huge when he had multiple wars with Morales and Barrara. well id say boxing is dying a slow death, ufc is consistently more exciting. Every month theres a great ufc fight card. I agree that there is nothing like a big time boxing match, nobody not even ufc can match the excitement/atmosphere but boxing is running out of stars, canelo cant fight himself, and even a true boxing fan like myself is giving up hope for the sport , I only look forward to mayweather and pacquiao fights n once there gone so will i, what boxing needs is canelo to beat mayweather or pacqiuao, take over the thrown, him beating up has beens like mosley doesnt make me want to order a ppv in the future where hes the headliner, honestly I wish we could Have fights like the one tonight every month because it was a awesome and a very entertaining fight but Theres just not enough talented boxers to do it.

Manny started getting some popularity after the battles with Morales/Barrera and JMM. But again, he didn't get hugely popular until he fought DLH. Look at his PPV sales, he started doing 1M+ after DLH, never before him.

Just like Floyd and Manny became popular after they beat DLH, the next popular superstar will be the one who beats Manny and/or Floyd. If not, someone else will. It always happens.

u got the facts so I must agree, I said the same thing earlier, who ever the next one is has to dethrone pac n may ... Theres nothing I want more than some new guy to come and whoop up on those two, ill buy into a youngster who does that

BUT

EVERY UFC fight that comes on, is a great fightcard. There are no bad UFC matchups?

Look I get it, you like UFC better than boxing. That's fine. No one cares. But stop trying to make yourself believe that boxing is dying. Again, look at the money the sport makes. If the money is there, the sport is fine.

To support your argument, went to the theaters to watch the fights, it got so full they opened up a SECOND theater to allow everyone to fit, and this was during the middle of the Vargas/Forbes bout...
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

BUT

To support your argument, went to the theaters to watch the fights, it got so full they opened up a SECOND theater to allow everyone to fit, and this was during the middle of the Vargas/Forbes bout...

But but but a bar by my house had 75 people show up for the last big UFC fight. So UFC is about to dethrone boxing and boxing is dead.

BUT

Hey guys its been a fun little argument, im not hear to defend ufc or boxing, im a huge fan of both, theres def bad matchups in ufc, there was one yesterday or two but there were also a few knockouts by heavy weights and middle wieghts that were damn exciting. But the highlight of my fight night was the mayweather fight. But for boxing it doesnt happen often enough. what im afraid is that the next big superstar boxer is going to come to late to beat mayweather and pacqiuao. DLH should stop protecting Canelo and should let him fight them now, heck he has 40 fights and 40 victories, how much more time does he need.

Tyson (yea bad example lol nobodys tyson) took the world by storm because he was fighting the best at the same age as Canelo and beating there face in lol. Pac started gaining steam because he put on some of the best boxing bouts ive ever seen, gatti didnt beat the best but he was one of my favorite fighters of all time, why because he was entertaining to watch. Particularly the Ward fights. Even enjoyed him getting beat down by Floyd. Canelo was too reserved for me last night, i felt he could have easily knocked out mosley if he had a killer instinct from beginning to end. Boxing needs more excitement, like the mayweather cotto fight last night, i was standing the majority of that fight yelling at my TV lol. IMO its worth the risk, if canelo or another youngster beats one of the top fighters in there prime he will light a fire under the sport for many years to come. i honestly hope that it happens before its too late.

BUT

But but but a bar by my house had 75 people show up for the last big UFC fight. So UFC is about to dethrone boxing and boxing is dead

lol ive also been to universal City walk were they had two theaters, the one i was in was full for ufc fight, it goes both ways. im a fan of both so im not bashing boxing, by any means, sounds like you have something against ufc, but thats your own Prerogative. Just keep in mind, Baseball was once Americas game... not so much anymore

Great fight last night. It was weird seeing Floyd with a bloody nose. I can't believe Cotto almost got dropped in the 12th. Dude came to fight though.

P.S. I just love the sweet science of boxing so much more than UFC. Two guys just going toe to toe with strick rules of engagement. Its the gamesmanship that I appreciate. To me, boxing seems like a true sport. Where UFC no matter how talented and skilled the fighters are, just seems like a street fight.

BTW, the only reason UFC fights a lot more and has a "better" undercard on a regular basis, is because there isn't that much money on the line for the fighters. Trust me, if guys like Jones made half the money Manny/Floyd makes in a fight, he would do every thing he could to ride that wave and so would the people around him. Right now, the only people made big money in the UFC is the UFC.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Great fight last night. It was weird seeing Floyd with a bloody nose. I can't believe Cotto almost got dropped in the 12th. Dude came to fight though.

P.S. I just love the sweet science of boxing so much more than UFC. Two guys just going toe to toe with strick rules of engagement. Its the gamesmanship that I appreciate. To me, boxing seems like a true sport. Where UFC no matter how talented and skilled the fighters are, just seems like a street fight.

BTW, the only reason UFC fights a lot more and has a "better" undercard on a regular basis, is because there isn't that much money on the line for the fighters. Trust me, if guys like Jones made half the money Manny/Floyd makes in a fight, he would do every thing he could to ride that wave and so would the people around him. Right now, the only people made big money in the UFC is the UFC.

Yea it was pretty exiciting see floyd getting tagged... i though floyd might finish him in the 12, that was pretty exciting.

and i think your right, if jon jones was pulling in 32 mil a fight, he wouldnt fight every 3 months, fight once a year 32 mil each time, i can see the logic behind your argument. The amount of money ufc makes, they pay there fighters chump change. So there forced to fight every 3-4 months to pay off that new Rolls Royce they just financed lol

BUT

Hey guys its been a fun little argument, im not hear to defend ufc or boxing, im a huge fan of both, theres def bad matchups in ufc, there was one yesterday or two but there were also a few knockouts by heavy weights and middle wieghts that were damn exciting. But the highlight of my fight night was the mayweather fight. But for boxing it doesnt happen often enough. what im afraid is that the next big superstar boxer is going to come to late to beat mayweather and pacqiuao. DLH should stop protecting Canelo and should let him fight them now, heck he has 40 fights and 40 victories, how much more time does he need.

Tyson (yea bad example lol nobodys tyson) took the world by storm because he was fighting the best at the same age as Canelo and beating there face in lol. Pac started gaining steam because he put on some of the best boxing bouts ive ever seen, gatti didnt beat the best but he was one of my favorite fighters of all time, why because he was entertaining to watch. Particularly the Ward fights. Even enjoyed him getting beat down by Floyd. Canelo was too reserved for me last night, i felt he could have easily knocked out mosley if he had a killer instinct from beginning to end. Boxing needs more excitement, like the mayweather cotto fight last night, i was standing the majority of that fight yelling at my TV lol. IMO its worth the risk, if canelo or another youngster beats one of the top fighters in there prime he will light a fire under the sport for many years to come. i honestly hope that it happens before its too late.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big boxing fan and very much prefer it to UFC, but I'm def not as intense as Amir on the "Boxing vs UFC" debate. I think there's enough room for both, but I do agree boxing won't be as big as it once was, but will always have a strong and loyal fan base.

As for the Canelo vs PBF, DLH is right in holding of Canelo from PBF. Yes, PBF is getting old, but his talent/experience level is far and beyond what Canelo has. He has the potential to be the next great Mexican super champions of his era, but right now he's still getting into his own. Have we seen him fight a boxer who could stick and move and not get hit (a la PBF)? Most of Canelo's competition (Gomez, Mosely, Cintron, Hatton) literally stood in front of him and took his punishing blows from round 2 until the end of each fight.

Also, I was disappointed in Canelo's lack of finish. Yes, Mosely prides himself on never being KOed, but every time Canelo was on the verge of knocking Mosely out (which was A LOT), Canelo would get tired and let Mosely jab him 30 times and resustain his balance. Canelo still has a lot to learn before he fights the likes of PBF and Pacman.

I think Canelo vs Cotto would be the best fight for him, here's why:

1. Name recognition: Cotto is a top 10 P4P fighter, and just got a big boost in popularity for giving PBF the 2nd hardest fight of his career behind DLH (not to mention got PBF bloodied for first time). Gives Canelo some street cred for bigger fights.

2. Styles: Cotto is a power guy who can also stick and move. Will definitely test Canelo's conditioning as well as it did Floyds.

3. Mexico vs Puerto Rico: When the hell doesn't THIS make money?
[ Edited by Crazy49er1313 on May 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM ]

BUT

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big boxing fan and very much prefer it to UFC, but I'm def not as intense as Amir on the "Boxing vs UFC" debate. I think there's enough room for both, but I do agree boxing won't be as big as it once was, but will always have a strong and loyal fan base.

As for the Canelo vs PBF, DLH is right in holding of Canelo from PBF. Yes, PBF is getting old, but his talent/experience level is far and beyond what Canelo has. He has the potential to be the next great Mexican super champions of his era, but right now he's still getting into his own. Have we seen him fight a boxer who could stick and move and not get hit (a la PBF)? Most of Canelo's competition (Gomez, Mosely, Cintron, Hatton) literally stood in front of him and took his punishing blows from round 2 until the end of each fight.

Also, I was disappointed in Canelo's lack of finish. Yes, Mosely prides himself on never being KOed, but every time Canelo was on the verge of knocking Mosely out (which was A LOT), Canelo would get tired and let Mosely jab him 30 times and resustain his balance. Canelo still has a lot to learn before he fights the likes of PBF and Pacman.

I think Canelo vs Cotto would be the best fight for him, here's why:

1. Name recognition: Cotto is a top 10 P4P fighter, and just got a big boost in popularity for giving PBF the 2nd hardest fight of his career behind DLH (not to mention got PBF bloodied for first time). Gives Canelo some street cred for bigger fights.

2. Styles: Cotto is a power guy who can also stick and move. Will definitely test Canelo's conditioning as well as it did Floyds.

3. Mexico vs Puerto Rico: When the hell doesn't THIS make money?

before last night, id say man just fight floyd or pac, but i was damn impressed by cotto, more because he came to fight and didnt just cave in once he saw the great defense and speed of floyd. ive watched cotto for years and was very disappointed when his undefeated record was gone by a cheating chump, but he hung with floyd like no one has. So id love to see Canelo vs Cotto ...
Timothy Bradley KO10 Manny Pacquiao
Share 49ersWebzone