2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Lol'd

Jim Rome is a douche

Maybe so, but Stern was ridiculous in his response. The "do you still beat your wife" question is an example of a loaded question, meaning that regardless of whether you say yes or no, you're admitting guilt. Stern used it as a rhetorical response to a legitimate question, and Rome actually stayed professional throughout the interview.

Stern's gone completely off of the deep end the last couple of years.

Stayed professional. How about the initial question was "I know you appreciate a good conspiracy theory like the next guy but was the fix in for the lottery" really good way to word a question but I suppose when Rome is the sports version of a shock jock you have to expect trashy worded questions like that. Rome in the words of Stern totally pouted up at the end of the interview because Stern turned it around on him and made him look stupid. I have listened to Rome a lot over the years and when "that was a really good interview" he always finds more time to continue it as soon as Stern turned the table in wanted to go to a commercial break.

Maybe Rome had the wrong celebrity in the smack off in Sonnen because Stern sure laid the smack down on him.

Rome wanted to get out of that interview quick so the loaded question asked to him wouldn't cause rumors...isn't much fun when the table is turned.

Are you two serious? Did you listen to the same interview that I listened to? I'm completely flabbergasted by your guys' responses. The idea that Rome's question was "loaded" is absurd. This was his question...

Rome: You know New Orleans won the draft, which of course produced the usual round of speculation that maybe the lottery was fixed. I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?

Do you know why this isn't a loaded question? BECAUSE SAYING "NO" DOESN'T IMPLY ANY ADMISSION OF GUILT ON ANY LEVEL!!! That's why the "have you stopped beating your wife" retort was moronic, because that IS a loaded question.

Rome stayed professional in the entire interview, and Stern came off as a petulant child. His response was completely unnecessary, and he didn't verbally "own" Rome in any way. He made one or two points, but aside from that it was just name-calling and sniping. And I'm one of the least conspiracy minded people you'll meet!

The idea that Stern "owned' Rome (and I'm not a fan of Rome's either) is laughable.

He used fix as a known in the question instead of as an action word which was why it was loaded. He used "fix" as if it had already existed in Sterns back pocket and implied that Stern pulled out "the fix" this year.

I think media tries too hard to poke the bears just to stir it up and love it when interviewees attack back (when bears attack).
I heart Jim Rome lol
Are you two serious? Did you listen to the same interview that I listened to? I'm completely flabbergasted by your guys' responses. The idea that Rome's question was "loaded" is absurd. This was his question...

Rome: You know New Orleans won the draft, which of course produced the usual round of speculation that maybe the lottery was fixed. I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?

Do you know why this isn't a loaded question? BECAUSE SAYING "NO" DOESN'T IMPLY ANY ADMISSION OF GUILT ON ANY LEVEL!!! That's why the "have you stopped beating your wife" retort was moronic, because that IS a loaded question.

Rome stayed professional in the entire interview, and Stern came off as a petulant child. His response was completely unnecessary, and he didn't verbally "own" Rome in any way. He made one or two points, but aside from that it was just name-calling and sniping. And I'm one of the least conspiracy minded people you'll meet!

The idea that Stern "owned' Rome (and I'm not a fan of Rome's either) is laughable.

Agreed with you. I think some people here are just Rome haters which is why some of their posts seem a little biased. Even Tom Tolbert was pissed on the radio yesterday after hearing Stern's response. Tom said that if Stern had said that to him, he would have responded with "have you stopped molesting kids?"
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

He used fix as a known in the question instead of as an action word which was why it was loaded. He used "fix" as if it had already existed in Sterns back pocket and implied that Stern pulled out "the fix" this year.

I think media tries too hard to poke the bears just to stir it up and love it when interviewees attack back (when bears attack).

What the hell? No he didn't. I'm not even sure how to argue this with you. This is basic English comprehension.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:

What the hell? No he didn't. I'm not even sure how to argue this with you. This is basic English comprehension .

Joecool gunna Joecool

LOL THIS LOL THIS

What the hell? No he didn't. I'm not even sure how to argue this with you. This is basic English comprehension.

I meant noun. How do you think Rome used the word "fix". He certainly didn't say was the lottery a fixed.

"I know you appreciate a good conspiracy theory like the next guy but was the fix in for the lottery"
Originally posted by AmpLee:

What the hell? No he didn't. I'm not even sure how to argue this with you. This is basic English comprehension .

Joecool gunna Joecool

Inciting! That's okay, I won't let it get off topic.

I actually like Rome but will call out a dumb loaded question. What a question to ask; a question of "people". That's such a lame way to make what Rome asked appear as if it wasn't a slap in the face because the people are talking about it with absolutely zero proof of it being true. That is absolutely terrible for a journalist/writer/reporter/news/opinion whatever he is personality to do.

Zero Proof and he throws it out there as if there's an ounce of truth to it.
I don't even know what to say.

That usually happens when you have no argument. But I guess interviewees are not allowed to attack back when their profession or they are being disrespected.

That usually happens when you have no argument. But I guess interviewees are not allowed to attack back when their profession or they are being disrespected.

Sure they can fight back, but his response was out of line. "Did you stop beating your wife?" Are you serious?! This coming from the NBA commish!! At least there's been rumors going on for years about the lottery being rigged. There was no historical rumors of spousal abuse concerning Rome. Rome may as well responded with "Did you stop bathing with 5 year old boys?"

I can't argue with a basic miscomprehension of English. I'm sitting here with my mouth agape at your failure to grasp language on such a basic level. You think that Rome's question was a loaded one, when a "no" response does not admit any guilt. If you can't understand that, there's nothing to discuss. You never cease to amaze me.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Sure they can fight back, but his response was out of line. "Did you stop beating your wife?" Are you serious?! This coming from the NBA commish!! At least there's been rumors going on for years about the lottery being rigged. There was no historical rumors of spousal abuse concerning Rome. Rome may as well responded with "Did you stop bathing with 5 year old boys?"

It's not about historical rumors. Stern has to deal with this disrespect of his professional occupation for years...these rumors that have 0 evidence. His credibility gets cut low by the public/fans when it comes to this every year. Now to have someone in Rome's position to officially throw it out there was irresponsible and unprofessional by Rome. It was flat out dumb and disrespecting Stern and the NBA's credibility.

So what did Stern do? He squashed it with that comment back to Rome. It's a slap in the face and as much as I dislike Stern, his method of squashing the topic was effective.

I can't argue with a basic miscomprehension of English. I'm sitting here with my mouth agape at your failure to grasp language on such a basic level. You think that Rome's question was a loaded one, when a "no" response does not admit any guilt. If you can't understand that, there's nothing to discuss. You never cease to amaze me.

Then in that case, any question can be answered with a simple "no" or "that's not true." same as the question to Rome. Not sure what we are debating here.

Loaded Question – a question that carries an assumption, and is worded in such a way so that the respondent who answers the question directly admits to accepting that assumption.

Not sure what you are trying to define here.
Then in that case, any question can be answered with a simple "no" or "that's not true." same as the question to Rome. Not sure what we are debating here.

Loaded Question – a question that carries an assumption, and is worded in such a way so that the respondent who answers the question directly admits to accepting that assumption.

Not sure what you are trying to define here.

Good God.

Question: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

If you answer no, it means that you're still beating your wife. If you answer yes, it's an admission that you once did beat your wife.

Question: ""I know that you appreciate a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, was the fix in for the lottery?"

If you answer yes, you admit guilt. If you answer no, you do not.
Share 49ersWebzone