LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

2012 AL WEST CHAMPS Oakland A's Regular Season Thread

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
I loved this team so damn much. What an amazing season, easily my favorite A's team ever...easily..

going to buy a 2012 AL West Champs shirt tomorrow and wear that s**t with pride
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM ]
a's fans better show up next year
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
The A's season ended just like the moneyball movie did.

Where they had exciting moments and a pyrrhic victory at the end.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Considering most 49ers fans are Giants fans, that makes no sense.

If the A's fans were better, they wouldnt have to close off the entire upper deck. They might also have the revenue to keep players. The Giants have the longest current sellout streak in the majors, and youre suggesting they dont have heart?

1) Not true. This has been debunked many times. Most 49ers fans aren't also baseball fans, and a large number are A's fans.

2) If you knew anything about the A's (you don't) you'd know the owner tarped off the top deck to drive down attendance so he can use that as an excuse to move the team to San Jose and get a new stadium there. It's like the movie Major League, only our owner isn't a hot chick. Before they tarped off the upper deck, A's attendance was in line with that of the Giants, in a MUCH worse stadium.

The A's have a lot of problems the Giants don't, but they don't have fewer fans.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by TheRambler:

If the A's fans were better, they wouldnt have to close off the entire upper deck. They might also have the revenue to keep players. The Giants have the longest current sellout streak in the majors, and youre suggesting they dont have heart?

1) Not true. This has been debunked many times. Most 49ers fans aren't also baseball fans, and a large number are A's fans.

2) If you knew anything about the A's (you don't) you'd know the owner tarped off the top deck to drive down attendance so he can use that as an excuse to move the team to San Jose and get a new stadium there. It's like the movie Major League, only our owner isn't a hot chick. Before they tarped off the upper deck, A's attendance was in line with that of the Giants, in a MUCH worse stadium.

The A's have a lot of problems the Giants don't, but they don't have fewer fans.

even with the closed upper deck they still only sold just over 60% of the available seats
27th this year in attendance
No way that I'm gonna hang my head over this season. This team accomplished way more than I coud have ever imagined. I'm hoping that we add a piece or two to the existing cast and take another shot at the west title. Really proud of this club, from top to bottom.
Two comments:

1) All you Giants fans talking s**t about A's fans, I'm going to channel Verlander and Cabrera and say "Giants fans, shut the f**k up!" This right here illustrates one of the reasons why I despise the Giants organization. Educate yourself before you come in here and spout off about our fan base.

2) I'm actually not all that bummed out about losing last night. It's kind of weird. Sure I obviously would've liked to be in the ALCS right now but when you think about it we were playing on house money. This whole season has been so unexpected and improbable that overall it still feels like a huge victory for our franchise. It was incredible to see the fan support at the end of the season. Their exuberance and excitement made me proud to be from Oakland. Hopefully some of that magic continues into next year.
Originally posted by schmons:
a's fans better show up next year

If they are good, they will.

Anyways, congrats to you guys. Great season....nothing to hang your hat over.

LOL yeah, im sure the A's are just forfeiting thousands of ticket sales each game just to prove a point. Sounds like a good business model. They closed off the upper deck because having your stadium half empty every day looks awful, and then theyd have to pay maintenance to go up there.

Look at the random sample on this board alone. Hundreds of 49ers fans from all over. Its not even just the bay area ones, and the Giants thread generates over 1600 pages worth of talk in a season. Everyone here is a Niners fan, so when the Giants get 1600 pages, and the A's get 100 over a full season, you dont see that as a dead giveaway that most 49ers fans prefer the Giants over the A's?

If you actually believe the Giants and the A's have the same number of fans, youre off in youre own fantasy world. Its not even remotely close. Its 80/20 at best. Thats why A's fans all hate the Giants. They hate how SF gets all the fanfare.

I dont think A's fans are bad by any means but your claims that A's attendance was in line with the Giants before the tarp is simply not true at all. IN fact, they were not within 1 million in attendance in any year.

Giants average from 2000-2005 ( 6 years before tarp) 3,263, 128
A's average during same period 2,093,201

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Two comments:

1) All you Giants fans talking s**t about A's fans, I'm going to channel Verlander and Cabrera and say "Giants fans, shut the f**k up!" This right here illustrates one of the reasons why I despise the Giants organization. Educate yourself before you come in here and spout off about our fan base.

2) I'm actually not all that bummed out about losing last night. It's kind of weird. Sure I obviously would've liked to be in the ALCS right now but when you think about it we were playing on house money. This whole season has been so unexpected and improbable that overall it still feels like a huge victory for our franchise. It was incredible to see the fan support at the end of the season. Their exuberance and excitement made me proud to be from Oakland. Hopefully some of that magic continues into next year.

Who talked s**t about A's fans? I think many of us actually rooted for the A's this year by the way, unlike guys like you and Imamod who would never root for the Giants ( I guess because of jealousy). The Giants are the model baseball franchise. Beautiful stadium, competitive team, and fan friendly. They are a franchise that the A's should try to model themselves after.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
We all know the Giants have the superior fan base right now
It wasn't always like this.. I remember rubber saying it was the opposite in the past, the A's had everything and the Giants had nothing.
What annoys the hell out of me is the Giants would've moved out of California if it weren't for the A's giving them the territorial rights(for free). Im not saying I wanted them to move, but I hate that the Giants won't help us out now.. So annoying

If the A's ever get a new stadium in San Jose (they probably won't) fan attendance would probably be the same as the Giants. Look at the Giants attendance numbers before and after their new stadium.

Giants average attendance 5 years before AT&T opened
1995-15,327
1996-17,456
1997-20,875
1998-23,770
1990-25,659
Numbers are pretty similar to the A's today, who averaged 22k i think
And when Pacbell/AT&T opens
2000- 40,973
2001-40,877
2002- 40,163
2003- 40,307
2004-40,232

Sadly Bud Selig doesn't give 2 s**ts about the A's and basically ignores the issue. Been going on for what, 4 years? And still has the same answer. he wants the Giants and A's to solve it themselves and says he shouldn't be part of it. He's the f**king commissioner of the league, if the issue hasn't been resolved in 4 years.. do something dip s**t

My point is it isn't about the fans not caring about the A's, its that the general public would rather go to a nice park like AT&T rather than that garbage dump stadium in oakland. I won't even argue that the A's have a superior or equal fan base to the A's right now in the bay. Sadly, its not even close..
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Two comments:

Who talked s**t about A's fans? I think many of us actually rooted for the A's this year by the way, unlike guys like you and Imamod who would never root for the Giants ( I guess because of jealousy). The Giants are the model baseball franchise. Beautiful stadium, competitive team, and fan friendly. They are a franchise that the A's should try to model themselves after.

this. Not sure why he ranted, I believe most of us were really supportive and even stated we wanted another bay WS. So you are hating on the wrong folks dude.

And ima, I dont remember saying the A's had it all, but I do remember a time when the A's fans packed the stadium. The giants have always had a pretty good fan base, but new stadiums and winning cures a lot of s**t for sure.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

I was actually rooting for the Giants to beat the Reds

but honestly now that the A's are out of it, I really don't care what happens as long as the Yankees and Detroit don't win

And I've said before..Im jealous of the Giants' stadium, but the A's were competitive as anyone else this year so not sure why you mentioned that.
Im pretty sure I saw Rubber post it before, when he was a kid and dinosaurs existed, he hated the A's out of jealousy . I dont blame A's fans for being jealous of the Giants at all
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:

I was actually rooting for the Giants to beat the Reds

but honestly now that the A's are out of it, I really don't care what happens as long as the Yankees and Detroit don't win

And I've said before..Im jealous of the Giants' stadium, but the A's were competitive as anyone else this year so not sure why you mentioned that.
Im pretty sure I saw Rubber post it before, when he was a kid and dinosaurs existed, he hated the A's out of jealousy . I dont blame A's fans for being jealous of the Giants at all

lol. You little crap. I wasnt jealous of the A's, but you cannot argue the success when I was growing up. They used to win. I never hated the A's, I hate the raiders and thats it. I was actually raised to root for all bay area sports teams. Even when you go back in time there wasnt the niners raiders rivalry like now. We used to attend As and Giants games regularly when I was young, but the Gs were my favorite. I used to have fun sitting in Hendu land in the bleachers. You probably dont remember that huh?
Share 49ersWebzone