LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

What the BCS would be like with a Playoff system 12 Team

Hey guys i had a little bit of time at work today on my break of course.. I put together a little system it includes the following..

6 Top Conference Winners ( Big East, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, PAC 12)
6 Top BCS Ranked Teams not winning a conference Title

First thing your probably going to say is #1 LSU and #2 Alabama are on the same side they are supposed to be on opposite. Well this is not the case, The 6 Conference Winners become top seeds no matter their BCS rankings. The Top 4 of 6 got 1st round byes, #1 LSU and Lowest #4 seed Wisconsin are therefore on the same side, and #2 OK st and Oregon are on the other. From there since Wisconsin is the lowest ranked of the Top 4 thats why they draw Alabama.

Clemson and West Virginia are both Conference winners therefore they draw the bottom 2 of the Non Conf winning 6. Even though their BCS rankings are lower than the other 6 they won their conference they deserve best chance to move forward.

All games will be Bowl games making 12 bowl games total. National Championship will still rotate between all the major bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Rose, Sugar)
The other 11 games, 1st round games would be auctioned off to highest bidding sponsors( this time their money will actually be worth while as people will watch meaningful games.) 2nd Round Will be Cotton Bowl, and 3 of the 4 that isnt scheduled for the National Championship.

Schedule would go as following... Round 1 games Dec 17th , Rd 2 Dec 24th, Rd 3 Dec 31st , National Championship either Jan 7th or Jan 14th pending on a week of rest.

This scheduling would allow Heisman Awards show etc. Well thats about everything. LMK what yall think.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
So, you'll ask the college students to play and support their football program during their finals and winter break?
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
12 teams is too much imo. Some teams will play an extra 3-5 games. That's too much

I mentioned this in another thread:

I'd be fine with a 4 team playoff system. I'd rather have teams arguing about being the 4th best than the 1st best.
1 vs 4 in lets say the Rose Bowl
2 vs 3 in lets say the Sugar Bowl
Winner play each other in the BCS Title Bowl

Then next year 1 vs 4 in Orange Bowl and 2 vs 3 in Fiesta Bowl. Just keep switching it up. That way, you still get to keep the Bowl Tradition.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
So, you'll ask the college students to play and support their football program during their finals and winter break?

so you're saying they shouldn't play during mid-terms either?

let's be serious... a lot of these guys don't go to class anyways.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

so you're saying they shouldn't play during mid-terms either?

let's be serious... a lot of these guys don't go to class anyways.

Mid-terms are not finals, and aren't organized throughout the University like the finals. There is also no winter-break during October. This won't happen.
I dont like it. 12 teams is too many in my opinion. A playoff system should either be 4 teams or 8 teams. This season a 4 team playoff would make the most sense as there really are only 4 teams worthy and the number that I would prefer. Going to 12 or even 8 extends the season too long.

4 team playoff: add 1 game beyond what they play now
LSU vs Stanford
Alabama vs OK St

Winners play in BCS title game

8 team playoff: -
LSU vs Wisconsin
Alabama vs Boise St
Ok St vs Oregon
Stanford vs Arkansas
Either do not have automatic bids or include all the conferences

Not including the smaller conferences is like a class system....

If there is a playoff you must include all 11 1-A conferences, otherwise the system is just not fair. I mean who is to say which conferences deserve a bid.

The minimum for playoffs is 16.....

Then at the beginning of the year, all 118 teams have a legitimate shot at it, (win your conference and you are in)

That's how it is done in all other sports.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Either do not have automatic bids or include all the conferences

Not including the smaller conferences is like a class system....

If there is a playoff you must include all 11 1-A conferences, otherwise the system is just not fair. I mean who is to say which conferences deserve a bid.

The minimum for playoffs is 16.....

Then at the beginning of the year, all 118 teams have a legitimate shot at it, (win your conference and you are in)

That's how it is done in all other sports.

You really want to add 4 more games for the teams that make it to the finals. They would be playing an NFL schedule of 16 games. These are college athletes and not pros. I could not disagree more with a playoff having 16 teams.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

First, there are wayyyy more supporters of colleges outside the student population (with more money).

Second, college athletes (especially football players) rarely attend classes. They are generally tutored within the athletic department's academic facilities.

And third, it's all about the money. If a structure driving more money for a playoff system can be created... nobody will care about finals. They don't anyways.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The playoffs should include:

The six AQ conference champions
The most highly ranked non-AQ school
The most highly ranked non-conference champion

Eight total teams.

Playoff seeds determined by BCS standings.

Round of 8 hosted at highest seeded school. Round of 4 consists of two BCS bowls (ex: Fiesta and Sugar). Championship game at another BCS bowl (ex: Orange). BCS bowls would rotate, 2 years as a semi final, 1 year as championship.

You can incorporate the other current BCS bowls into the round of 8, if that generates more revenue, on a rotating basis.

- Teams play a maximum of 2 games over the current system. Likely 1 or less.
- Money to be made on current bowls.
- Incorporates the current BCS ranking system to determine seeding.
- Non-AQ schools have a shot every year.
- Rewards conference champions. Even after 2 losses, win your conference and you still have a championship shot.
- Possibility of having two non-AQ teams, should they outrank the non-conference champions

Originally posted by okdkid:
The playoffs should include:

The six AQ conference champions
The most highly ranked non-AQ school
The most highly ranked non-conference champion

Eight total teams.

Playoff seeds determined by BCS standings.

Round of 8 hosted at highest seeded school. Round of 4 consists of two BCS bowls (ex: Fiesta and Sugar). Championship game at another BCS bowl (ex: Orange). BCS bowls would rotate, 2 years as a semi final, 1 year as championship.

You can incorporate the other current BCS bowls into the round of 8, if that generates more revenue, on a rotating basis.

- Teams play a maximum of 2 games over the current system. Likely 1 or less.
- Money to be made on current bowls.
- Incorporates the current BCS ranking system to determine seeding.
- Non-AQ schools have a shot every year.
- Rewards conference champions. Even after 2 losses, win your conference and you still have a championship shot.
- Possibility of having two non-AQ teams, should they outrank the non-conference champions

8 teams would be OK and the MAX. However, I disagree with the teams that should qualify. In your scenario Stanford would not be in the playoffs even though they have 1 loss and a top 4 team in football this year. West Virginia with 3 losses would be in instead. I just wouldnt agree with any system that automatically cuts out a 1 loss team from a power conference because they didnt win their conference.
I'm with the other peoples. 12 is too many (and too radical for the old timey presidents). I think we should all scream for a final 4.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
8 teams would be OK and the MAX. However, I disagree with the teams that should qualify. In your scenario Stanford would not be in the playoffs even though they have 1 loss and a top 4 team in football this year. West Virginia with 3 losses would be in instead. I just wouldnt agree with any system that automatically cuts out a 1 loss team from a power conference because they didnt win their conference.

If they're that good, then they will be the highest ranked non-champion team. That means they're in.

Beyond that, there would be a lot of questionable excuse-making to get a team that couldn't win its conference and isn't the highest ranked team among non-champs.

If they've been proven to not even be the best in their conference, I see no need to bend over backwards to get them in a championship tourney.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

If they're that good, then they will be the highest ranked non-champion team. That means they're in.

Beyond that, there would be a lot of questionable excuse-making to get a team that couldn't win its conference and isn't the highest ranked team among non-champs.

If they've been proven to not even be the best in their conference, I see no need to bend over backwards to get them in a championship tourney.

LOL.. Alabama and Stanford BOTH have much better credentials to be in a playoff system this year than teams like West Virgina, Boise St, or Clemson which are all teams you would put in your playoffs. Those teams have either 3 losses or play mediocre talent and have still lost. There are MANY times where a 2nd place finisher in a power conference is MUCH more deserving.

Every sub division has a playoff and those students are not on scholarship. Baseball also play through finals. The College world series also go through finals if the school is on the trimester schedule
Share 49ersWebzone