There are 326 users in the forums

What the BCS would be like with a Playoff system 12 Team

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Either do not have automatic bids or include all the conferences

Not including the smaller conferences is like a class system....

If there is a playoff you must include all 11 1-A conferences, otherwise the system is just not fair. I mean who is to say which conferences deserve a bid.

The minimum for playoffs is 16.....

Then at the beginning of the year, all 118 teams have a legitimate shot at it, (win your conference and you are in)

That's how it is done in all other sports.

You really want to add 4 more games for the teams that make it to the finals. They would be playing an NFL schedule of 16 games. These are college athletes and not pros. I could not disagree more with a playoff having 16 teams.

The do in the lower divisions.....

In division 1-AA they have 24 teams in the playoffs..........

What makes the Big College atheletes any more special
Originally posted by LundyLove:
The do in the lower divisions.....

In division 1-AA they have 24 teams in the playoffs..........

What makes the Big College atheletes any more special

lol this lol. The "college kids have finals in December" argument is a steaming pile of cow dung. The reason I advocate a MINIMUM of 12 teams in a playoff is because the #1 problem with the BCS is it rewards teams that are "perceived" to be better (ie, major conference teams). My model would give teams like Boise St and TCU real bites at the apple.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
So, you'll ask the college students to play and support their football program during their finals and winter break?

Every sub division has a playoff and those students are not on scholarship. Baseball also play through finals. The College world series also go through finals if the school is on the trimester schedule

Baseball is quite different from football. Preparation that goes into a football game is 100x greater than in a baseball game. Plus, you'll be asking the student body to support the team during finals week and winter break (for some reason, everyone is just focusing on finals and not winter/Christmas break).

Originally posted by okdkid:
First, there are wayyyy more supporters of colleges outside the student population (with more money).

Second, college athletes (especially football players) rarely attend classes. They are generally tutored within the athletic department's academic facilities.

And third, it's all about the money. If a structure driving more money for a playoff system can be created... nobody will care about finals. They don't anyways.

...yes, those supporters with more money mostly consists of the alumni. Today you have a great alumni - but if you abandon the current student body - you may not have a huge support among the alumni many years from now. Of course it's about the money, and making sure a good percentage of student body attends every game (especially the playoffs or bowl-games), is taken care of - is a smart long-term business strategy.

I knew of plenty of students who attended classes. It depends from school to school.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Dec 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM ]
I agree it needs to b 12,to many schools have no shot because they are not a big time college. I.think my system works and to the guy sayin the wac mac sun belt etc should b included Thats what other 6 spots are for if ur that good u will get up there ala Houston if they had not choked they would have made my 12,team playoff. But i disagree the less powerful conf don't deserve auto bids like the others. If they want a shot they need to add tougher schools to their schedule and pull out those victories.
Baseball is quite different from football. Preparation that goes into a football game is 100x greater than in a baseball game. Plus, you'll be asking the student body to support the team during finals week and winter break (for some reason, everyone is just focusing on finals and not winter/Christmas break).

Completely baseless statement, containing zero measurable way of proving it to be anything but.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Fricker:
I agree it needs to b 12,to many schools have no shot because they are not a big time college. I.think my system works and to the guy sayin the wac mac sun belt etc should b included Thats what other 6 spots are for if ur that good u will get up there ala Houston if they had not choked they would have made my 12,team playoff. But i disagree the less powerful conf don't deserve auto bids like the others. If they want a shot they need to add tougher schools to their schedule and pull out those victories.

If you do not include all conferences champions then you are bringing politics and the BS back into it. If they did what you say in like say college baseball or college basketball mid major teams would be left out, and then they would have to be perfect just to make it, and who determines what conference make it and what one doesn't? Then it becomes a system where the bigger conferences shut out the smaller conferences and all 118 do not legitimately have a shot at the championship.

Let's say the MAC champion goes undefeated and finishes 16th according to some BS rankings......

Then what are they competing for.....

But we are the SEC who gives a s**t about the MAC.

Thats what is wrong with college football now, when Boise St deserved a BCS bowl bid over Michigan but who cares they play in MWC.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
So, you'll ask the college students to play and support their football program during their finals and winter break?

Every sub division has a playoff and those students are not on scholarship. Baseball also play through finals. The College world series also go through finals if the school is on the trimester schedule

First have you ever talked to a D-1 baseball player on the amount of Batting Practice and fielding practice that goes in daily. I went to high school with a guy who played with Cal State Fullerton during their hay day and he told me he took more BP and ground balls in one day than he took in a week of any other level of baseball before. And before you jump on film study they amount of film position players take on opposing pitchers (which include all starters and relievers) along with scouting reports on types of pitches and pitch count and situational reports on pitchers is equal to football film study. And I don't think your going to have students calling home saying "Mom I want to come home but I am being forced to stay here for the football game" the conversation is more likely to go "Hey can you get your dad and me some playoff tickets".
Share 49ersWebzone