49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 560 users in the forums

Your Golden State Warriors. - Some Hope for the Future!

Originally posted by ImaMod:
lol no way he said that. link?



Yep I agree
here ya go

http://blog.sfgate.com/threedotblog/2012/03/20/joe-lacob-answers-his-critics/

5th paragraph
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I'll go more in depth later but for now pretty much all of Lacob's problems can be boiled down to one quote by the man himself:

Whether I like it or not, I'm the face of the franchise here - Joe Lacob to Gary Radnich

It's a true statement! People need to lay off this guy. His only fault was promising playoffs
We need a wing player who can handle the f**king ball. Watching Rush, Wright, and Thompson try to create their own shot is painful to watch.
Originally posted by AC49er:
It's a true statement! People need to lay off this guy. His only fault was promising playoffs

...As well as drafting Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe, and wasting the amnesty on Charlie Bell. Two colossal errors IMO.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by SofaKing:
...As well as drafting Ekpe Udoh over Greg Monroe, and wasting the amnesty on Charlie Bell. Two colossal errors IMO.

Cohan was still owner when Udoh was drafted
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We need a wing player who can handle the f**king ball. Watching Rush, Wright, and Thompson try to create their own shot is painful to watch.

yup. so true.
Originally posted by AC49er:
It's a true statement! People need to lay off this guy. His only fault was promising playoffs

he's made many faults here's a pretty good list: http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Lacobs-missteps-along-way-helped-fuel-bo?blockID=673616&feedID=5986

He thinks he's the face of the franchise? Who's the face of the Lakers? Clippers? Miami? Chicago? Knicks etc. etc. Marc Jackson should be the face of the FO, the Owner should at worst be a mascot like Mark Cuban.


Originally posted by ImaMod:
Cohan was still owner when Udoh was drafted

Losing out on Monroe hasn't proven to be any great loss in my estimation. He can score the ball well, certainly better than any center we had pre-Bogut. But what we really need is a defensive anchor at the 5 spot and Monroe is not that. Udoh has the chance to be an elite defender at the 4 position if he is not already, certainly has the chance to be a part of a good team's rotation we just simply played him out of position. Not a bad pick at 6, just not an ideal fit.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We need a wing player who can handle the f**king ball. Watching Rush, Wright, and Thompson try to create their own shot is painful to watch.

yup. so true.
Originally posted by AC49er:
It's a true statement! People need to lay off this guy. His only fault was promising playoffs

he's made many faults here's a pretty good list: http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball-golden-state-warriors/warriors-talk/Lacobs-missteps-along-way-helped-fuel-bo?blockID=673616&feedID=5986

He thinks he's the face of the franchise? Who's the face of the Lakers? Clippers? Miami? Chicago? Knicks etc. etc. Marc Jackson should be the face of the FO, the Owner should at worst be a mascot like Mark Cuban.


Originally posted by ImaMod:
Cohan was still owner when Udoh was drafted

Losing out on Monroe hasn't proven to be any great loss in my estimation. He can score the ball well, certainly better than any center we had pre-Bogut. But what we really need is a defensive anchor at the 5 spot and Monroe is not that. Udoh has the chance to be an elite defender at the 4 position if he is not already, certainly has the chance to be a part of a good team's rotation we just simply played him out of position. Not a bad pick at 6, just not an ideal fit.

It was a terrible draft and Udoh was ok, but Monroe would of been nice. I agree that it hasnt impacted us TOO dramatically.

I want a guard like Afflalo who is great at defense and can handle and shoot but is now a bit overpaid.
from Lacob.

I remember during the negotiations, Jerry West saying to me, are you OK? Because this means losing rest of the year. I said no, I'm not OK. that's what's holding me back here."

Lacob said West "had his prints all over this trade,


All the experts in here think the Monta deal was awful but one of the greatest execs in the history of the NBA was a huge part ot it.. Interesting dont you think?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
from Lacob.

I remember during the negotiations, Jerry West saying to me, are you OK? Because this means losing rest of the year. I said no, I'm not OK. that's what's holding me back here."

Lacob said West "had his prints all over this trade,


All the experts in here think the Monta deal was awful but one of the greatest execs in the history of the NBA was a huge part ot it.. Interesting dont you think?

Jerry West's record is far from flawless. Trading for a 28 year old injury prone center who has only been on one winning team in 9 seasons (and he missed 17 games in the regular season and missed the playoffs), is not exactly the home run they are framing it as.

And best case scenario is he plays well enough to get a huge extension in two years when he is 30 years old with the same injury history. And all that would do is keep us good enough as to not be in position to draft a real franchise player.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
from Lacob.

I remember during the negotiations, Jerry West saying to me, are you OK? Because this means losing rest of the year. I said no, I'm not OK. that's what's holding me back here."

Lacob said West "had his prints all over this trade,


All the experts in here think the Monta deal was awful but one of the greatest execs in the history of the NBA was a huge part ot it.. Interesting dont you think?

Jerry West's record is far from flawless. Trading for a 28 year old injury prone center who has only been on one winning team in 9 seasons (and he missed 17 games in the regular season and missed the playoffs), is not exactly the home run they are framing it as.

And best case scenario is he plays well enough to get a huge extension in two years when he is 30 years old with the same injury history. And all that would do is keep us good enough as to not be in position to draft a real franchise player.

Oh that's right. You have a crystal ball and I'm sure know much more than Jerry West. My bad. Tell me since you seem to know the answers.... where would the Warriors get a Center? Or were you happy with having a small team that is in limbo every year.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
lol no way he said that. link?



Yep I agree
here ya go

http://blog.sfgate.com/threedotblog/2012/03/20/joe-lacob-answers-his-critics/

5th paragraph

I dont think he meant it like how Kobe is the face of the Lakers' franchise or Cam Newton is the face of the Panthers' franchise, etc but how he's the man in charge
at least thats how it sound when I read it
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
from Lacob.

I remember during the negotiations, Jerry West saying to me, are you OK? Because this means losing rest of the year. I said no, I'm not OK. that's what's holding me back here."

Lacob said West "had his prints all over this trade,


All the experts in here think the Monta deal was awful but one of the greatest execs in the history of the NBA was a huge part ot it.. Interesting dont you think?

Jerry West's record is far from flawless. Trading for a 28 year old injury prone center who has only been on one winning team in 9 seasons (and he missed 17 games in the regular season and missed the playoffs), is not exactly the home run they are framing it as.

And best case scenario is he plays well enough to get a huge extension in two years when he is 30 years old with the same injury history. And all that would do is keep us good enough as to not be in position to draft a real franchise player.

Oh that's right. You have a crystal ball and I'm sure know much more than Jerry West. My bad.

I don't claim to know more than Jerry West, nor do I blindly follow him. I recognize that he has made mistakes before, that he greatly benefitted from being GM of the Lakers (Kobe demanding to be traded there on draft night, Shaq turning down more money in ORL, etc.), and that he left the Grizzlies in worse shape than he found them in. I use that knowledge to freely speculate on what I believe to be a bad trade.

I just don't think Bogut is good enough to build a team around. He's due 27 mil over the next 2 seasons, and I wouldn't want to be on the hook for an extension to a 30 year old center who's stats have been going down for 3 years and who hasn't been healthy consistently in 4.

The buzz-word from the Warriors has been on how Bogut is a top-5 player at his position, but his 11 points and 8 rebounds per game before his injury say different.

If I were absolutely determined to pay a center 13 mil a year, I would have bit the bullet and upped the offer to DeAndre Jordan and dared the Clippers to match. Not because DeAndre is necessarily the better player (although he may have been a better fit for the team as previously constructed), but because he is 23 years old and has much more room for potential growth than Bogut. And by doing so I would have been able to keep Monta and Udoh and Kwame's expiring contract, all the while ridding the team of Biendrins horrid contract.

At the deadline I would be in position to shop Kwame's and Bell's expiring deals alongside DWright's affordable deal for a difference maker. And if I were looking to deal Monta, I'd be in much better space to do so with expiring deals instead of having to give up the team's best defender. I may not be Jerry West, but I'm certainly not Joe Lacob either.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Oh that's right. You have a crystal ball and I'm sure know much more than Jerry West. My bad. Tell me since you seem to know the answers.... where would the Warriors get a Center? Or were you happy with having a small team that is in limbo every year.

lol it doesnt make sense to me
Weve been looking for a center for so long and have swung and missed so much. We went after DeAndre Jordan, his offer gets matched, we went after Chandler, he picks knicks over us, we draft Udoh, he's meh.
Riley said it himself. He's been trying to get a legit starting center even since he took the job but hasn't been able to land one. We finally do a trade where we give an undersized guard for an all around solid center, something we've lacked forever and people dont like the trade. If we didnt do this trade we probably go into the offseason swing and missing on someone like Hibbert or drafting another Ekpe Udoh and still not having a legit center, and another season of mediocrity.

You cant say yet whether it was a good or bad trade, we wont know for another year and maybe longer. Oh and having Klay Thompson made it a lot easier to pull the trigger. 6'7, great shot, lots of potential, and has shown flashes throughout the season. .432 FG % .440 3PT % .854 FT% and he just turned 22 years old
[ Edited by ImaMod on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I don't claim to know more than Jerry West, nor do I blindly follow him. I recognize that he has made mistakes before, that he greatly benefitted from being GM of the Lakers (Kobe demanding to be traded there on draft night, Shaq turning down more money in ORL, etc.), and that he left the Grizzlies in worse shape than he found them in. I use that knowledge to freely speculate on what I believe to be a bad trade.

I just don't think Bogut is good enough to build a team around. He's due 27 mil over the next 2 seasons, and I wouldn't want to be on the hook for an extension to a 30 year old center who's stats have been going down for 3 years and who hasn't been healthy consistently in 4.

The buzz-word from the Warriors has been on how Bogut is a top-5 player at his position, but his 11 points and 8 rebounds per game before his injury say different.

If I were absolutely determined to pay a center 13 mil a year, I would have bit the bullet and upped the offer to DeAndre Jordan and dared the Clippers to match. Not because DeAndre is necessarily the better player (although he may have been a better fit for the team as previously constructed), but because he is 23 years old and has much more room for potential growth than Bogut. And by doing so I would have been able to keep Monta and Udoh and Kwame's expiring contract, all the while ridding the team of Biendrins horrid contract.

At the deadline I would be in position to shop Kwame's and Bell's expiring deals alongside DWright's affordable deal for a difference maker. And if I were looking to deal Monta, I'd be in much better space to do so with expiring deals instead of having to give up the team's best defender. I may not be Jerry West, but I'm certainly not Joe Lacob either.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM ]
I'd rather pay DeAndre 50 mil over 5 years (approx.) than pay Bogut 27 mil over 2 years knowing that I'd be right back at the negotiating table with Bogut 24 or so months from now. Especially at the expense of Monta, Udoh, and Kwame's expiring. I'd rather pay the money to acquire a center than pay with talent.

I'd feel much better paying DeAndre (or Tyson) and amnestying Biendrins, than trading Monta and Udoh and keeping Biendrins for Bogut.

And if the team wanted to go with Klay over Monta we'd be in position to go after the Nets pick that they sent away for Gerald Wallace which is a top-5 pick.

DJ-Lee-Klay-Curry-Udoh-whatever the expirings get me-lottery pick from a Monta trade is better to me than

Bogut-Lee-Wright-Klay-Curry-Biendrins-hoping and praying we tank well enough to keep our pick
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone