There are 207 users in the forums

2011-12 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by valrod33:
Paul said he wont sign with the Celtics. Trade denied.

The Nets are putting together a trade for Howard. And they are willing to take Hedu contract as well

Somewhere in Missouri jrg is crying

The Nets are putting together a trade for Howard. And they are willing to take Hedu contract as well

I'd bet Howard uses New Jersey as leverage and ends up with the Lakers when it's all said and done.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

lulz
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I'd bet Howard uses New Jersey as leverage and ends up with the Lakers when it's all said and done.
I just got Rubio, I dont want to have to quit the NBA just yet.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Sadly, I agree.

f**kin Lakers.

Deron Williams plus Howard, hmmmm
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Not enough to win but a step in the right direction.
If you guys get a chance, check out the show "Open Court" on NBA TV. It's Shaq, Barkley, Reggie Miller, Webber, Steve Smith, Kenny Smith, & Steve Kerr sitting around telling stories, and Ernie Johnson in the host. Really entertaining.
Originally posted by Amir:

too bad it'll only be for a yr, soon as that season ends howard will get the hell out of jersey
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Amir:

too bad it'll only be for a yr, soon as that season ends howard will get the hell out of jersey

No way the Nets get Howard unless he signs an extension. And Jersey is the past, Brooklyn Nets stadium up but not finished

How does he use the Nets for leverage? Wouldn't he get a max contract regardless?
How does he use the Nets for leverage? Wouldn't he get a max contract regardless?

Of course. My understanding is that he wants to be a Laker. So here's how he accomplishes that, IMO.

-He let's everyone know that he's not signing an extension with any team that trades for him mid season, and will enter free agency regardless of what happens. This scares off New Jersey (for now), because they don't want to trade Lopez + 2 first rounders and then lose him for nothing in the offseason. They're gonna have the cap space to offer him a max contract this offseason even without making this trade. The Clippers also have max contract space, so the Nets can't just trade for him and assume they'll be able to keep him because no one else can offer him the money he wants.

-So now it's the offseason, and the Lakers, Nets, & Clippers are the frontrunners for his services. At that point, Howard tells Orlando "either you sign & trade me to the Lakers, or I go to New Jersey or the Clippers and you get nothing."

At that point, it's a pretty easy decision for Orlando. A trade with the Lakers before that is a possibility as well.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM ]

Of course. My understanding is that he wants to be a Laker. So here's how he accomplishes that, IMO.

-He let's everyone know that he's not signing an extension with any team that trades for him mid season, and will enter free agency regardless of what happens. This scares off New Jersey (for now), because they don't want to trade Lopez + 2 first rounders and then lose him for nothing in the offseason. They're gonna have the cap space to offer him a max contract this offseason even without making this trade. The Clippers also have max contract space, so the Nets can't just trade for him and assume they'll be able to keep him because no one else can offer him the money he wants.

-So now it's the offseason, and the Lakers, Nets, & Clippers are the frontrunners for his services. At that point, Howard tells Orlando "either you sign & trade me to the Lakers, or I go to New Jersey or the Clippers and you get nothing."

At that point, it's a pretty easy decision for Orlando. A trade with the Lakers before that is a possibility as well.

Couldn't Howard be moved this season in similiar fashion as Carmelo Anthony did last year? Get traded during the season AND sign an extension ?
Starting tomorrow, NBA facilities are going to open up and GMs can start talking to agents. They're not allowed to offer deals, but I'm not exactly sure what else they expect GMs and agents to talk about.

I think we'll start getting some good rumors starting on Friday or so.
Couldn't Howard be moved this season in similiar fashion as Carmelo Anthony did last year? Get traded during the season AND sign an extension ?

Actually the Melo situation is a perfect comparison. Remember how there were all the rumors about him being traded to New Jersey? Well, that's ultimately not where he wanted to go, so he put it out there that he wouldn't sign an extension with them. But once he got traded to the destination of his choice, he signed the extension.

So there's definitely a possibility of Howard getting traded and then signing an extension, but only if he gets traded to the team he wants to end up with.
Share 49ersWebzone