There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011-12 General NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
The main thought behind the low mid-range percentage is that they are usually shot off the dribble. What if you are able to design plays that get the mid-range open for a spot up 15 footer? I wonder if that would increase the mid-range percentage to near 50%.

For some guys, sure. But "spot up" mid-range shots are hard to come by, because by definition you're closer to the defenders that are trying to close out. That's why they're often from the baseline (think Ibaka/Horace Grant 15-footer) because the help only comes from one direction in that situation.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
The main thought behind the low mid-range percentage is that they are usually shot off the dribble. What if you are able to design plays that get the mid-range open for a spot up 15 footer? I wonder if that would increase the mid-range percentage to near 50%.

For some guys, sure. But "spot up" mid-range shots are hard to come by, because by definition you're closer to the defenders that are trying to close out. That's why they're often from the baseline (think Ibaka/Horace Grant 15-footer) because the help only comes from one direction in that situation.

Yes, very difficult in the NBA but maybe not HS.

What about off-ball screens getting an offensive player with a slight step-back while his man is screened.

You should see if you can come up with some innovative stuff...if the younger players can mentally handle it. Would be cool to see a game with designed wide open 10-15 footers snap of the wrist shots mixed in with bank shots from very giving angles/spots.

These types of plays could possibly get even more open threes or easy layups if the ball is moved properly to the weakside.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes, very difficult in the NBA but maybe not HS.

What about off-ball screens getting an offensive player with a slight step-back while his man is screened.

You should see if you can come up with some innovative stuff...if the younger players can mentally handle it. Would be cool to see a game with designed wide open 10-15 footers snap of the wrist shots mixed in with bank shots from very giving angles/spots.

These types of plays could possibly get even more open threes or easy layups if the ball is moved properly to the weakside.

Based on this post, I don't think you've seen a lot of HS basketball.

First of all, there's so much zone that the off-the-ball screen stuff that I think you're talking about is inapplicable. You need to learn how to screen the zone, but it's very different than when facing man-to-man defenses.

Secondly, the idea of these kids running off of off-the-ball screens and knocking down 15 footers without their feet set is not realistic at all. This is an age group that shoots between 55-65% (at most) at the FT line, with their feet set and no one guarding them. The idea that they'd hit that shot on a regular basis without their feet set and with defense closing out on them just isn't going to happen. Then you still have the problem of regardless of how innovative a coach is, those players are still getting their shots closer to the defense that's closing out. It's all about spacing. On top of that, you're almost never going to draw a foul while shooting from mid-range. I'd love to face a coach that designed their game plan around 10-15 footers.

I'd rather have them step back and get the extra 50% reward for shooting a three. And that's arguably an easier shot than the 15 footer, because again, you've spaced yourself from the defense. Mid-range is just not a smart shot on the HS level.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Based on this post, I don't think you've seen a lot of HS basketball.

First of all, there's so much zone that the off-the-ball screen stuff that I think you're talking about is inapplicable. You need to learn how to screen the zone, but it's very different than when facing man-to-man defenses.

Secondly, the idea of these kids running off of off-the-ball screens and knocking down 15 footers without their feet set is not realistic at all. This is an age group that shoots between 55-65% (at most) at the FT line, with their feet set and no one guarding them. The idea that they'd hit that shot on a regular basis without their feet set and with defense closing out on them just isn't going to happen. Then you still have the problem of regardless of how innovative a coach is, those players are still getting their shots closer to the defense that's closing out. It's all about spacing. On top of that, you're almost never going to draw a foul while shooting from mid-range. I'd love to face a coach that designed their game plan around 10-15 footers.

I'd rather have them step back and get the extra 50% reward for shooting a three. And that's arguably an easier shot than the 15 footer, because again, you've spaced yourself from the defense. Mid-range is just not a smart shot on the HS level.

I agree here. I intentionally practiced the Ray Allen drill as well as other outside shooting drills with my squad, because I really only had 2-3 girls that could create their own shot. Once we figured out how to correctly move the rock around on the perimeter, we obliterated defenses. Luckily, more than half of the girls on the team were fairly good shooters.

Sure, most teams played zone against us, but I had at least 5-6 different sets (including screening vs the zone) that got us open looks.

Vs man D, we ran a ton of high pick-and-roll late in the season, in order to get our best ballhanders and creators some mismatches. Needless to say, if you can pick and roll efficiently at any level, you'll get plenty of high % buckets.
[ Edited by Jigga on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

can he play defense?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

can he play defense?

All I know about him is he can jump high and he's white
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Go ahead and give us the Championship already

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Minnesota has agreed to trade the 18th overall pick in Thursday's draft to Houston for Chase Budinger, league sources tell Y! Sports.
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA Houston has also included the rights to Israeli Lior Eliyahu in the deal to Minnesota, a source said.

Pics or you're a Lior
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,222
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

can he play defense?

No, he's a terrible defender but he was surprisingly good offensively in Adelman's system then noticably dropped off after he left.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
ESPN NBA - Timberwolves acquire F Chase Budinger from Rockets for 18th pick in NBA Draft, according to sources

That's 3 draft picks for the Rockets now

apparently they are loading up to go for Howard + Deron W

aka

Kill Brooklyn Nets Hopes & Dreams
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by ads_2006:
apparently they are loading up to go for Howard + Deron W

aka

Kill Brooklyn Nets Hopes & Dreams

I knew they were going after Howard but that all makes sense now. D Will is from dallas, not sure how far it is from Houston but I bet he'd go to houston over Dallas if Howard is there. And Howard probably wouldn't have originally signed a contract extension but if they bring D Will he will, I think.

And Lowrie was basically untouchable last season but now he's in trade rumors all over the place
Budinger is a good 3 point shooter, played better defense last year, but subpar overall defensively.

David Aldridge says Howard won't stay in Houston if traded to there. It's either deal for Howard and end up losing him, or build through the draft.

Only real good players left on team:

Luis Scola
Chandler Parsons
Patrick Patterson
Courtney Lee (RFA, Jonathan Feigen of Chron.com says the Rockets will match any offer)
Kyle Lowry (Might be traded for a top 10 pick according to reports)

Kevin Martin is useless now, terrible on defense, and injury prone last year. Some think he has value as a expiring contract.

Rockets want to keep Goran Dragic and Marcus Camby, while shopping Samuel Dalembert, who has a non-fully guaranteed contract with only $1.5M of the nearly $6.7M salary guaranteed.

Donatas Motiejunas is likely coming over from Poland, while they are hoping for Sergio Lull to be convinced to come over.

Rockets could have cap room, they have only 10 players committed for 2012-2013, at $41,473,362, but between Motiejunas, the 14th, 16th and 18th picks, and Lee's RFA offer they have $8,484,524 committed. Plus Derek Fisher counts $644,005 from his buyout.

They also have player holds of $22,910,139 for 4 players(Frederic Weis, Marcus Camby, Goran Dragic and Earl Boykins).

Not sure that the 2012-2013 cap will be, I believe it was $58.836M last year.

NOTE: They have a few guys signed who can be easily waived due to non-guaranteed contracts, Courtney Fortson, Greg Smith and Diamon Simpson.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Poor Ben gordon. Id hate to be traded to the Bobcats

"@chadfordinsider: Bobcats send Corey Maggette to Pistons for Ben Gordon and a 2013 protected first rounder sources confirm to ESPN. @WojYahooNBA 1st reported"
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Poor Ben gordon. Id hate to be traded to the Bobcats

"@chadfordinsider: Bobcats send Corey Maggette to Pistons for Ben Gordon and a 2013 protected first rounder sources confirm to ESPN. @WojYahooNBA 1st reported"

Damn. Looks like the Bobcats aren't taking Beal then if they ever were.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Damn. Looks like the Bobcats aren't taking Beal then if they ever were.

I don't think Gordon would keep them from taking Beal. They likely made that deal for the pick from Detroit, and they're so far away from contention that by the time they might have a chance at the playoffs, Gordon will likely be off the books.

That said, I don't think they're taking Beal anyway.