There are 505 users in the forums
2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
- Kaz9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 519
All i gotta say is Mitch Kupchak is the s**t.
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
- sincalfaithful
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,712
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,446
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
So the Lakers traded 2 firsts and 2 seconds for a 38 year old with a year or 2 left. They better win it now because this team is going to be really bad in 3 years.
No they won't. This is what they do
I think they will. All franchises eventually go through tough times. As Niners fans we know this very well. No Kobe, No Gasol, and their draft picks traded. When you consider that they dont have any real young star outside of Bynum I think its VERY possible that the Lakers will fall hard.
The difference between the Lakers and Niners is the ownership. The Niners went to hell partly because of a poor front office. The Lakers don't have that issue. Besides losing the draft picks isn't much of an issue considering there haven't been recent draft picks to make an impact on the team anyways
It has happened to every great franchise. The Yankees, Celtics, Niners, Cowboys,. All fell on very hard times after years of success. The Lakers have had a magical run with Jabbar, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. It IS going to end soon. Just get ready for it. They may have one more run in them but they will have some tough times ahead in my opinion.
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,446
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
This I agree with. The Thunder is clearly much better even with Nash on the Lakers.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM
- LA9erFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,021
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
This I agree with. The Thunder is clearly much better even with Nash on the Lakers.
I think this puts us right up there with him. I'm ecstatic. It's not just the fact that we added a Top 25-ish player for free (in terms of current guys on the roster), it's also that he provides us with a couple of skill sets that we desperately needed. Someone who can get guys easy buckets, and someone who can knock down open 3's. Defenses will collapse onto Kobe, Pau, & Bynum at their own peril with Nash out there. There was so much cheating off of Sessions & Artest that it really killed spacing for us.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,446
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
This I agree with. The Thunder is clearly much better even with Nash on the Lakers.
That's not true. That Thunder series was a lot closer than the 4-1 indicates. I'm not completely sold on the deal, but make no mistake Nash is a HUGE upgrade over any other Laker PG.
What isnt true? That the Thunder aren't still better? I believe they are. Younger, more athletic, and will have the best player on the court.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
- LA9erFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,021
God, I can't wait. Please stay healthy. This is the sorta thing he still brings to the table at age 38. And he's able to do it because it has very little to do with athleticism.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jul 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM ]
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,446
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
This I agree with. The Thunder is clearly much better even with Nash on the Lakers.
That's not true. That Thunder series was a lot closer than the 4-1 indicates. I'm not completely sold on the deal, but make no mistake Nash is a HUGE upgrade over any other Laker PG.
What isnt true? That the Thunder aren't still better? I believe they are. Younger, more athletic, and will have the best player on the court.
What isn't true is that they are "clearly much better". They proved to be better in last years playoffs, but not by a great margin. Nash narrows that margin significantly. So no, it's not clear. Oh and I can use superlatives too; higher IQ, experienced, and better players at 4/5 starting positions (3/5 if you think Westbrook is better than Nash).
LOL Even comparing Nash to Westbrook at this point is funny. In my mind the Thunder is still the better team. Nash doesnt change things for me. Of course we will see how it all plays out in the end.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM
- StOnEy333
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 99,664
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:It has happened to every great franchise. The Yankees, Celtics, Niners, Cowboys,. All fell on very hard times after years of success. The Lakers have had a magical run with Jabbar, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. It IS going to end soon. Just get ready for it. They may have one more run in them but they will have some tough times ahead in my opinion.
What you are seemingly overlooking is the fact that when Kobe and Pau come off the books, there's nearly $40 Million in cap space that opens up. Money that will be spent on more superstars that are looking to join the NBA's staple franchise and have their run at the Lakers fame and glory.
Remember, they've only missed the playoffs 5 times in the history of the franchise. The fall isn't as far as you think. They always reload. They always are in the mix.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
- sincalfaithful
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,712
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
It has happened to every great franchise. The Yankees, Celtics, Niners, Cowboys,. All fell on very hard times after years of success. The Lakers have had a magical run with Jabbar, Magic, Shaq, and Kobe. It IS going to end soon. Just get ready for it. They may have one more run in them but they will have some tough times ahead in my opinion.
The Lakers did have "down years" in between Magic and Shaq/Kobe and then again when Shaq departed.
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM
- sincalfaithful
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,712
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
What you are seemingly overlooking is the fact that when Kobe and Pau come off the books, there's nearly $40 Million in cap space that opens up. Money that will be spent on more superstars that are looking to join the NBA's staple franchise and have their run at the Lakers fame and glory.
Remember, they've only missed the playoffs 5 times in the history of the franchise. The fall isn't as far as you think. They always reload. They always are in the mix.
The Lakers fall = 7th and 8th seeds not lottery picks. Down years mean 1st round exits instead of being title contenders
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM
- Ninerjohn
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,446
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
I'm not as excited about this as the rest of you guys. I'm still feeling that we didn't do anything to close the gap between us and the Thunder/Spurs
This I agree with. The Thunder is clearly much better even with Nash on the Lakers.
That's not true. That Thunder series was a lot closer than the 4-1 indicates. I'm not completely sold on the deal, but make no mistake Nash is a HUGE upgrade over any other Laker PG.
What isnt true? That the Thunder aren't still better? I believe they are. Younger, more athletic, and will have the best player on the court.
What isn't true is that they are "clearly much better". They proved to be better in last years playoffs, but not by a great margin. Nash narrows that margin significantly. So no, it's not clear. Oh and I can use superlatives too; higher IQ, experienced, and better players at 4/5 starting positions (3/5 if you think Westbrook is better than Nash).
LOL Even comparing Nash to Westbrook at this point is funny. In my mind the Thunder is still the better team. Nash doesnt change things for me. Of course we will see how it all plays out in the end.
Yeah, comparing one all-star to another is laughable.
Obviously we'll have to wait and see, but it's not like the Lakers were cellar dwellers before Nash. They're only a couple years outside of their last championship, and still have a lot of experience and talent. While I'm not ready to crown them, I'd be silly to say anybody is clearly better than them at this point as well.
A 38 year old Steve Nash doesnt compare to Westbrook at this point in his career. I know you are aware of this. Steve Nash from 5 years ago.. well that is a different story. Players at 38 years of age can quickly decline.
We obviously have a different opinion but I think the Thunder are CLEARLY the favorites and the team to beat in the West.
Jul 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM
- ImaMod
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,482
I agre with John, OKC are still clearly the favorites to win the west
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM
- MoistButtCheeks
- MoistButtLeaks
- Posts: 57,486
Im very happy. From Steve Blake to Steve Nash. Cant wait to see him shoot those nice jumpers and make the other team members better.
Jul 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM
- LA9erFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,021
I really hope we re-sign Jordan Hill and swing a sign & trade for Sessions instead of letting him go outright.
