There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dirk defeats "Ghetto basketball". German press... racist?

• BobS
  • Veteran
I just looked up the definition of ghetto, I have been misusing the term my whole life, yes I am old, 50! I always thought it meant the same thing as slum, or an impoverished area. In Webster's dictionary, it says, minority quarter of a city, etc,etc.
So actually a broken down area full of trailer parks could not be referred to as a ghetto if it was it a predominately white area of a city. I would have called such an area a ghetto. As for being called old and over 60, what part of my post were you referring to? Thinking that a million tattoos and body piercings brand a person? I am just being honest on how people that look like that are perceived by most of society that doesn't look like them. Or was it the comment that athletes and rock starts aren't as intelligent as the other professions that earn the money they make? I don't know how anyone could argue that. There are of course exceptions to those blanket statements. Gene Simmons of Kiss is pretty intelligent and a very savy businessman. For every one of him, there are a hundred that killed every one of their brain cells on drugs and alcohol, and probably couldn't balance a check book.
Originally posted by BobS:
I just looked up the definition of ghetto, I have been misusing the term my whole life, yes I am old, 50! I always thought it meant the same thing as slum, or an impoverished area. In Webster's dictionary, it says, minority quarter of a city, etc,etc.
So actually a broken down area full of trailer parks could not be referred to as a ghetto if it was it a predominately white area of a city. I would have called such an area a ghetto. As for being called old and over 60, what part of my post were you referring to? Thinking that a million tattoos and body piercings brand a person? I am just being honest on how people that look like that are perceived by most of society that doesn't look like them. Or was it the comment that athletes and rock starts aren't as intelligent as the other professions that earn the money they make? I don't know how anyone could argue that. There are of course exceptions to those blanket statements. Gene Simmons of Kiss is pretty intelligent and a very savy businessman. For every one of him, there are a hundred that killed every one of their brain cells on drugs and alcohol, and probably couldn't balance a check book.

I would say my circle is 90-95% professionals (doctors, lawyers, MBA etc) and I am in the minority as far as not having a tatoo.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I would say my circle is 90-95% professionals (doctors, lawyers, MBA etc) and I am in the minority as far as not having a tatoo.

You said "a tattoo." That is quite different from having 50% of your upper body tattooed like most NBA players.

[ Edited by BobS on Jun 18, 2011 at 13:49:08 ]

You said "a tattoo." That is quite different from having 50% of your upper body tattooed like most NBA players.

I see what your saying . But if that was what the writer meant, even more ghetto basketball helped Dirk win considering the MAvs players with more tats
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Also "ghetto basketball" could also mean flashy play with a lot of one on one, and not team oriented play. Guys are more interested in fast breaks, fancy passes and dunking, than playing as a team. Many years ago I played in 5 on 5 pick up games at an Orange County beach, you would always have one guy who would never pass the ball if he grabbed a rebound, and never met a shot he didn't like. The guy could have been alluding to that. I am sure this guy writing this article isn't implying Aryan supremacy. Also what I find odd is everyone upset the article mentions "first white MVP since, blah,blah,blah"? That is racist? But saying "first Black president of the USA", isn't? Give me a break.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
This sort of thing pisses me off because the NBA has an image problem.

I started a thread about it a year ago.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141500&highlight=nba

Originally posted by crzy:
I don't understand why the NBA has such an image problem. I was talkign to a co-worker who explained to me that he doesn't watch basketball because they're all a bunch of thugs.

A greater percentage of NFL players get arrested for rape/drug possession/stupidity than basketball playeres....yet no one really cares

The NHL allows fighting. While the NBA basically has cracked down on all excessive physical contact since Artest went into the stands.

Why do many people consider the NBA a sport of thugs?

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 18, 2011 at 16:00:53 ]
This sort of thing pisses me off because the NBA has an image problem.

I started a thread about it a year ago.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141500&highlight=nba

I don't understand why the NBA has such an image problem. I was talkign to a co-worker who explained to me that he doesn't watch basketball because they're all a bunch of thugs.

A greater percentage of NFL players get arrested for rape/drug possession/stupidity than basketball playeres....yet no one really cares

The NHL allows fighting. While the NBA basically has cracked down on all excessive physical contact since Artest went into the stands.

Why do many people consider the NBA a sport of thugs?

All good points, NBA gets more of the "thug" label IMO because there is way more face time than the NFL gets. There are no helmets, you can see every single tattoo they have, it seems like NBA players are always being interviewed, there is just a lot more exposure it seems like.

They could easily distance themselves from this label, by banning people for life for fights and dirty play, for example banning ron artest for life after he went into the crowd, or maybe discouraging all the lame celebrations and staredowns the heat players do after big shots.. *shrug*
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Most people are making a pretty simple comparison, where else other than the NBA are you going to see a large percentage of any group tatted up? Prison, I think it is that simple.
Most people are making a pretty simple comparison, where else other than the NBA are you going to see a large percentage of any group tatted up? Prison, I think it is that simple.

What if they are covered up by football pads or a baseball uniform?

Or regular clothing as you go about your day....

Maybe a bunch of armed forces guys with tats?

Since when is being tatted up associated with prison? Its not. It seems you are associating something else about them with prison. Hmmm what could that be?

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 18, 2011 at 23:30:35 ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Since when is being tatted up associated with prison? Its not. It seems you are associating something else about them with prison. Hmmm what could that be?

Have to admit that even though I try not to judge people I was raised by my mom to think that tats were trashy and I still don't like them. I prefer the look of my own skin to some drawings that are difficult to get removed and will look like a wrinkly splattered image 30-40 years from now. I dont see why you guys are getting so offended by this. Just because tats are popular in america doesnt mean that they're not looked down upon in other parts of the world and just like you have a right to think they are cool, those people have a right to think they are trashy or classless. I don't personally dislike people with tats but I would never get one for myself.

edit: and if you're thinking it's because it is a primarily african american league you might be right and it might be a prejudice but I also think you're partially wrong. The NBA had a serious image problem with the way that players would show up to the games, because America's youth as a whole had a gangster image to it in the early 2000s. When guys show up with pants on the ground and gold in their mouth and a hat turned sideways it doesn't look as professional. Then you had the fight in Detroit between Artest and Big Ben and the crowd and that was kind of the point where Stern decided things had to change.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jun 18, 2011 at 23:41:11 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I give up. You guys have selective listening, part is my fault from using tattooed "over 50% of your upper body" then just using "tattoos." I realize tattoos are everywhere, I remember from the early 90's when I lived at the beach 25% of girls 21 and under had a tramp stamp. Even a good portion of the women my age at the time 30-40 had one small one somewhere. I am talking being "tatted up like an NBA player" most have lot's of tattoos. They don't look like your average person who gets a few. Two of the groups that usually have lot's of tattoos are prison inmates and gangs (of all colors). There are plenty of people into tattoos for the artistic appeal, I doubt most tattooed NBA players fall into this group, they have them to look like hard asses, and they got what they wanted. I personally do not judge people for being tatted up, I do think having them on your neck or face is ugly. I am speaking for most older folks that will judge someone for being tatted up, my long deceased dad was a perfect example. Anyone with lot's of tats "just got out of prison" unless he was white with long hair, then he "must be in a rock band that plays that f**king loud music."
If you're black you're out of prison, if you're right you're in a band, got it.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
If you're black you're out of prison, if you're right you're in a band, got it.

Not sure how being a rocker who plays music his dad didn't like is a compliment... besides he only said if they had long hair. If they had no hair he probably saw they were a skin head.

I honestly just don't know why you guys are making such a big deal out of this. It's a somewhat inflammatory comment made by 1 writer in 1 article out of a whole country's media. Not to mention that whether you guys think it's racist or not you'd have to be naive not to see that the USA basketball had an image problem with the rest of the world stemming from the early 2000s, when guys like Iverson and Marbury were playing street ball basically, and you had players showing up to the games and press conferences in oversized jeans and t shirts and a bunch of jewelry.