There are 148 users in the forums

The NBA's image problem

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I don't understand why the NBA has such an image problem. I was talkign to a co-worker who explained to me that he doesn't watch basketball because they're all a bunch of thugs.

A greater percentage of NFL players get arrested for rape/drug possession/stupidity than basketball playeres....yet no one really cares

The NHL allows fighting. While the NBA basically has cracked down on all excessive physical contact since Artest went into the stands.

Why do many people consider the NBA a sport of thugs?
Because you can see their tattoos.
Because Ron Artest went bat-shizzle crazy in Detroit. That's why they're all thugs.
The NFL has had way more cringe-worthy incidents in recent time than the NBA. But perception of the the league was crafted in most minds a long time ago, and re-conditioning people to think differently is a massive undertaking.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Yes. And also there are no helmets so all the smack talking and facial expressions cannot be hidden.

this is probably more true than pantstickle intended it to be.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

It's very true and sad
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Because Ron Artest went bat-shizzle crazy in Detroit. That's why they're all thugs.

Frank Francisco (baseball pitcher) threw a chair at a fan once. And Boston Bruins players have charged into the stands to attack fans before.

In neither case was the media outrage as great as the Artest brawl.
Because I dunno, it is a sport of thugs?
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Frank Francisco (baseball pitcher) threw a chair at a fan once. And Boston Bruins players have charged into the stands to attack fans before.

In neither case was the media outrage as great as the Artest brawl.

And?

You asked. I answered. I don't have to justify it for it to be correct. It's not my opinion, just the truth. Do you really expect the media's ability to blow things out of proportion to go unnoticed?

It's very true and sad

But I don't like the culture of basketball sportsmanship either, so who am I to talk. I think they act like punks, or at least many, not all. (You complained the last time we had this discussion when I said thugs, i associate the two words together.)
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
The NFL has had way more cringe-worthy incidents in recent time than the NBA. But perception of the the league was crafted in most minds a long time ago, and re-conditioning people to think differently is a massive undertaking.

The NFL also has WAYYYYYYYYY more players. The NBA has a much higher % of scumbags.

It's as true as I intended it to be.

Nobody is scared of this.

But brown people with visible tattoos and sometimes angry faces?

Scares white people.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Leathaface:

The NFL also has WAYYYYYYYYY more players. The NBA has a much higher % of scumbags.

Baseless statement.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Baseless statement.

How so?
Share 49ersWebzone