There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shaq retires

I'm 28 years old and I remember being in 5th grade when Shaq was a rookie... Thanks for all the memories. Long and storied career. Still can't believe the C's record with Shaq this last year... I think it was 21-4 or something like that.

See you on TV soon.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm 28 years old and I remember being in 5th grade when Shaq was a rookie... Thanks for all the memories. Long and storied career. Still can't believe the C's record with Shaq this last year... I think it was 21-4 or something like that.

See you on TV soon.

I bet Shaq would be f**kin' awesome on TV. The next Charles Barkley.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
One of the best big men of this generation, and the most physically dominating one. He was always fun and goofy when he talked, and I still think hack-a-shaq was one of the most unsporting thing to do - even though I always wanted the Lakers to lose.

Anyway, one of the greats of the game.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
One of the best big men of this generation, and the most physically dominating one. He was always fun and goofy when he talked, and I still think hack-a-shaq was one of the most unsporting thing to do - even though I always wanted the Lakers to lose.

To this day, Hack-A-Shaq is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in sports. I think I saw it work once. Why? Because shooting 50% from the free throw line is no different than shooting 50% from the field...and you definitely don't want that. It doesn't even make sense unless the guy's shooting 43% or less, but team after team would do it.
Oh well......we all gotta get old sometime.....so long to the REAL SUPERMAN.......HONK HONK!!!! Last stop for the DEISEL.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

To this day, Hack-A-Shaq is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in sports. I think I saw it work once. Why? Because shooting 50% from the free throw line is no different than shooting 50% from the field...and you definitely don't want that. It doesn't even make sense unless the guy's shooting 43% or less, but team after team would do it.

Haha...good point. When watching it, it seemed wrong, and I can't remember it ever working. Not to mention, you're lettin' Lakers set-up their defense, and making it tough on yourself to score. It also goes against the spirit of the game.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM ]
Sad, but this day was about 3 years overdue. Thanks for the memories Big Diesel!
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Haha...good point. When watching it, it seemed wrong, and I can't remember it ever working. Not to mention, you're lettin' Lakers set-up their defense, and making it tough on yourself to score. It also goes against the spirit of the game.

Not really if he got the ball in the low post it was a guaranteed 2 points, not 1.
[ Edited by BobS on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM ]
Mad props to shaquizzle. Thanks for the 3 rings, big man.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

Not really if he got the ball in the low post it was a guaranteed 2 points, not 1.

He shot around 57% and his FGs only came from low post. I rather let him make that shot, than let him shoot FTs and take out the possibility of gettin' baskets in transition. Also, Shaq at times was slow to get back on defense, by fouling him - you're giving him a chance to rest and get back on defense. I don't know, to me, it made little sense.
Originally posted by BobS:

He shot around 57% and his FGs only came from low post. I rather let him make that shot, than let him shoot FTs and take out the possibility of gettin' baskets in transition. Also, Shaq at times was slow to get back on defense, by fouling him - you're giving him a chance to rest and get back on defense. I don't know, to me, it made little sense.

Not only that, Hack-A-Shaq wasn't about fouling him when he was in scoring position, it was about fouling him right when he crossed half court. The Lakers never shot better than Shaq did from the FT line, even when accounting for 3 pointers. Plus, there's the set defense factor that you mentioned.

Always liked Shaq.

Well done, Army brat.

See you on TV soon.

chuck and shaq would be must see tv. Dump kenny and his stupid tv board and get shaq in there
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

See you on TV soon.

chuck and shaq would be must see tv. Dump kenny and his stupid tv board and get shaq in there

You want to break up the Beatles, Yoko?

Kenny is an integral part in the magic of EJ, Kenny and Charles.