LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Shaq retires

Originally posted by Travisty13:
And Who Can Forget This?

They had to change the way that NBA baskets were made after his rookie year. No joke. Dude was like a superhero when I was a teenager.

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
And Who Can Forget This?

They had to change the way that NBA baskets were made after his rookie year. No joke. Dude was like a superhero when I was a teenager.

I agree. I have and always will be a Spurs fan. But I couldn't help but watch Shaq. When Shaq came into the game, he changed it (literally). Not only the hoops, but the personality of it. He rapped, cracked jokes, made movies, he was everywhere. He was, like you said, a superhero to me also.

I'm going to act like the years in Boston, Cleveland, and even Phoenix didn't exist. I'm going to remember him solely as a Magic, Laker, and Heat.
Great great career. Shaq was that dude.
Shaq is a def HOFer
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
LEGEND

Probably the most fun, likeable superstar in the history of the NBA.

This guy may not have been the most driven player, but he knew how to market himself, entertain the audience.

I wish more superstar players were like Shaq.
I got his rookie card , son!
LEGEND is right, HOF'r no doubt.

I remember being like 10 and having a little nerf hoop on the back of my bedroom door, it was Shaq's from his days with the Magic, I remember always trying to dunk on it and think I was gonna break it

Just a fun guy, and must watch on the court no matter what uniform he wore (even Lakers, I don't give a damn)

As always, my man Wilbon with a nice piece
One of my favorite players of all time. Thanks for the memories, Shaq!
Too bad he became desperate for a title and hopped on to almost every team with Conference Finals potential.
I agree. I have and always will be a Spurs fan. But I couldn't help but watch Shaq. When Shaq came into the game, he changed it (literally). Not only the hoops, but the personality of it. He rapped, cracked jokes, made movies, he was everywhere. He was, like you said, a superhero to me also.

I'm going to act like the years in Boston, Cleveland, and even Phoenix didn't exist. I'm going to remember him solely as a Magic, Laker, and Heat.

Haha...same here. Hard to see the legends get old. Father Time is still undefeated.

On a side note, check out his playoff stats from 00-02. One of those cases where the stats definitely reflected his impact.

2000...30.7ppg, 15.4rpg, 2.4bpg, 56.6% FG
2001...30.4ppg, 15.4rpg, 2.4bpg, 55.5% FG
2002...28.5ppg, 12.6rpg, 2.5bpg, 52.9% FG

Gonna be a LONG time before we see someone do that for an entire playoffs again...much less three years in a row.
On a side note, check out his playoff stats from 00-02. One of those cases where the stats definitely reflected his impact.

Gonna be a LONG time before we see someone do that for an entire playoffs again...much less three years in a row.

Not if Dwight goes to LA.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
You could make a case for him being the best ever with a mid-range jumper and better FT shooting.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Not if Dwight goes to LA.

Dwight's a great player, but I don't see him going for 30/15 for an entire playoffs, especially with the post-2001 defensive rules. Heck, even Shaq's numbers dropped after that happened.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
lol at Dwight averaging 30 points per game.
Share 49ersWebzone