LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 241 users in the forums

Is forcing job seekers to go through a draft illegal?

it would be an easy problem to fix. the NFL changes it's model and says you are employed by the NFL and the draft decided what "department" you work in.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Not if there's collective bargaining.

this.

in general, sports drafts DO violate some kind of "free enterprise" idea, but balanced against the gains of collective bargaining, its a small price to pay for the employee. ...Or, it should be a small price. if the NFLPA gets rid of the draft I will be pissed. While it makes sense for "workers rights" it does not make sense for the integrity of the league or fairness in competition.
I think there should be drafts for every job opportunity. How awesome would that be?

Pretty awesome.
"With the first and only pick in this week's Wendys on 12th and Madison Ave. Draft, Wendys selects David Robertson, Del Guerro High School drop out."

Beautiful.
the NFL is a privately owned business. they can hire however the heck they want as long as they arent discriminating.
White power
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Not if there's collective bargaining.

this.

in general, sports drafts DO violate some kind of "free enterprise" idea, but balanced against the gains of collective bargaining, its a small price to pay for the employee. ...Or, it should be a small price. if the NFLPA gets rid of the draft I will be pissed. While it makes sense for "workers rights" it does not make sense for the integrity of the league or fairness in competition.

I'm not sure it does make sense for "workers rights". Ditching the draft means dumping the whole collective bargaining system, including items like veteran minimums, etc.

Sure, a relatively small group of elite players would benefit enormously from open bidding. But the rest of those guys (the ones taken in rounds 4 or later) would get screwed. Special teams & backup players would not get $300K plus on the open market. More like $60K with no bonus and no injury benefits.

The owners have to find the money to outbid each other from somewhere and the league would settle into a new balance that is decidedly unfavorable to the vast majority of players imo.
Share 49ersWebzone