Los Angeles Lakers Offseason Thread

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Bam, right in the ovaries!

-9fA
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Let's talk hypotheticals. If the Lakers were to trade Bynum AND Gasol I feel like that would be an AWFUL deal for LA. I don't mind giving up Bynum and Odom but Bynum and Gasol is terrible.

You think a guy thats injured all the time and a mid tier SF is worth the best center in basketball?

Best deal they will get for Howard. If Bynum doesn't work out he's a 15 mil expiring K.

lol No chance thats the best deal they get for Dwight. Chicago could offer Noah and Deng and picks, OKC could offer Westbrook+Ibaka or picks, the Clippers could offer Minnesota's unprotected pick next year+young guys, the Russian guy in NJ/Brooklyn could offer Lopez and some other combination, Warriors could offer picks and young guys like Udoh and Thompson, heck even the Kings could offer Evans+picks+young guys if they wanted to team Howard up with Cousins. There is no chance the Lakers make the Magic the best offer for Dwight. There are so many other offers for them to atleast consider it's ridiculous. Bynum is not a sure thing and at worst he is an expiring contract, and Odom literally does nothing for them because he's entering his 30s and he's not a star player or even a 1 or 2 option on a good team plus hes got a year and a half(if you count the buy out for 2 mill) on his contract.

So then you are saying that they have the best deal because 2 years from now the Orlando Magic have essentially ended up with nothing but clearing Howard's salary from the books and that does nothing for them because they arent going to pick up an equal player in FA anyway. They would need a combination of picks and players that are talented if they are going to deal Dwight, Lakers cant offer that because their roster is getting old and they dont have any young talent besides Bynum who is never going to be as good as Dwight and is way more injury prone than Dwight.

The Magic dealing Dwight to the Lakers would be f**king stupid and the only reason its out there is because the Lakers are a big market team and media loves to speculate about them. But when you break down their offer its not even good compared to other teams. Even Bynum/Gasol probably wouldnt be their best offer. What are they supposed to do with a frontcourt of Gasol who is in his prime and is a lesser player than Dwight, and Bynum who might not even play? And you were the one who said that even that offer feels like the Magic would be ripping the Lakers off, which is not even the case.

1) The only deal in there that's better than Bynum/Odom is Westbrook/Ibaka. Possibly a combo of Eric Gordon/Chris Kaman + Minny's 1st Rounder as well.

2) Howard has to want to go to any destination he was traded to, since he's a free agent after the season.

3) Several of the basketball people that I talk to, specifically Larry Coon & Eric Pincus, have said that the Dwight to LA stuff isn't a media fabrication and is coming from his camp. He'd like to give Orlando one last chance to build a contender, but if that doesn't happen he's genuinely interested in playing with the Lakers.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Let's talk hypotheticals. If the Lakers were to trade Bynum AND Gasol I feel like that would be an AWFUL deal for LA. I don't mind giving up Bynum and Odom but Bynum and Gasol is terrible.

You think a guy thats injured all the time and a mid tier SF is worth the best center in basketball?

Best deal they will get for Howard. If Bynum doesn't work out he's a 15 mil expiring K.

lol No chance thats the best deal they get for Dwight. Chicago could offer Noah and Deng and picks, OKC could offer Westbrook+Ibaka or picks, the Clippers could offer Minnesota's unprotected pick next year+young guys, the Russian guy in NJ/Brooklyn could offer Lopez and some other combination, Warriors could offer picks and young guys like Udoh and Thompson, heck even the Kings could offer Evans+picks+young guys if they wanted to team Howard up with Cousins. There is no chance the Lakers make the Magic the best offer for Dwight. There are so many other offers for them to atleast consider it's ridiculous. Bynum is not a sure thing and at worst he is an expiring contract, and Odom literally does nothing for them because he's entering his 30s and he's not a star player or even a 1 or 2 option on a good team plus hes got a year and a half(if you count the buy out for 2 mill) on his contract.

So then you are saying that they have the best deal because 2 years from now the Orlando Magic have essentially ended up with nothing but clearing Howard's salary from the books and that does nothing for them because they arent going to pick up an equal player in FA anyway. They would need a combination of picks and players that are talented if they are going to deal Dwight, Lakers cant offer that because their roster is getting old and they dont have any young talent besides Bynum who is never going to be as good as Dwight and is way more injury prone than Dwight.

The Magic dealing Dwight to the Lakers would be f**king stupid and the only reason its out there is because the Lakers are a big market team and media loves to speculate about them. But when you break down their offer its not even good compared to other teams. Even Bynum/Gasol probably wouldnt be their best offer. What are they supposed to do with a frontcourt of Gasol who is in his prime and is a lesser player than Dwight, and Bynum who might not even play? And you were the one who said that even that offer feels like the Magic would be ripping the Lakers off, which is not even the case.

1) The only deal in there that's better than Bynum/Odom is Westbrook/Ibaka. Possibly a combo of Eric Gordon/Chris Kaman + Minny's 1st Rounder as well.

2) Howard has to want to go to any destination he was traded to, since he's a free agent after the season.

3) Several of the basketball people that I talk to, specifically Larry Coon & Eric Pincus, have said that the Dwight to LA stuff isn't a media fabrication and is coming from his camp. He'd like to give Orlando one last chance to build a contender, but if that doesn't happen he's genuinely interested in playing with the Lakers.

You don't think Noah + Deng>Bynum + Odom? I think at the very least it's AS good...

[ Edited by andes14 on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:36:20 ]
Originally posted by andes14:

You don't think Noah + Deng>Bynum + Odom? I think at the very least it's AS good...

I think Bynum > Noah and Odom and Deng cancel out.

I think Bynum > Noah and Odom and Deng cancel out.

I don't know. Deng is 6 years younger, he's a better scorer, and he's a WAY better defender. The only thing Odom has on him is probably rebounding, and that's just because he's a 4.
Deng scores more because he was the number 2 option on his team this year... Odom was the 3rd or 4th option on most nights. Odoms defense is very very good. Deng might be a bit better. Odom is so much more versatile than a Deng because he handles the ball as well as plays multiple positions.
Deng scores more because he was the number 2 option on his team this year... Odom was the 3rd or 4th option on most nights. Odoms defense is very very good. Deng might be a bit better. Odom is so much more versatile than a Deng because he handles the ball as well as plays multiple positions.

They were both the #3 options on their teams this year (Booz was the #2 on Chicago). Besides, Odom has never averaged as many points as Deng has in each of the last 2 seasons and there has been several years where LO was the #1 or #2 scoring option. Deng received several votes for DPOY and is likely a top 3-5 perimeter defender, and IMO Odom is a sub-par defender, certainly not "very very good." Yes Odom plays both forward positions and is a better rebounder because of that, but I believe most teams would rather have Deng than Odom, especially when you factor in age.

They were both the #3 options on their teams this year (Booz was the #2 on Chicago). Besides, Odom has never averaged as many points as Deng has in each of the last 2 seasons and there has been several years where LO was the #1 or #2 scoring option. Deng received several votes for DPOY and is likely a top 3-5 perimeter defender, and IMO Odom is a sub-par defender, certainly not "very very good." Yes Odom plays both forward positions and is a better rebounder because of that, but I believe most teams would rather have Deng than Odom, especially when you factor in age.

Deng was most certainly the number 2 option this year. What you meant to say is that Carlos Boozer was supposed to be the number 2 option, but injuries, lack of chemistry, and sucking balls prevented it. Aside from that, you are completely ignoring Odom's playmaking ability which dwarf's Deng's. This playmaking ability is why he's never been much of a scorer. He certainly can score and is pretty efficient, but that's not the type of game he plays. Odom is the far superior ball handler, passer, and rebounder. Also, Odom is a good defender, not all-world, but he's very capable and certainly nowhere near "sub-par". I question how much you actually watch the Lakers to be making statements like this. If one were to question LO, the biggest hole in his game is his IQ (or more specifically, lapses in mental fortitude), but then again, I doubt you've ever really watched him on a nightly basis.

[ Edited by AmpLee on Jun 26, 2011 at 15:15:56 ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Deng was most certainly the number 2 option this year. What you meant to say is that Carlos Boozer was supposed to be the number 2 option, but injuries, lack of chemistry, and sucking balls prevented it. Aside from that, you are completely ignoring Odom's playmaking ability which dwarf's Deng's. This playmaking ability is why he's never been much of a scorer. He certainly can score and is pretty efficient, but that's not the type of game he plays. Odom is the far superior ball handler, passer, and rebounder. Also, Odom is a good defender, not all-world, but he's very capable and certainly nowhere near "sub-par". I question how much you actually watch the Lakers to be making statements like this. If one were to question LO, the biggest hole in his game is his IQ (or more specifically, lapses in mental fortitude), but then again, I doubt you've ever really watched him on a nightly basis.

QFT

Boozer took more shots per game and scored more points per game than Deng. Granted it was by slight margins, but that fact alone proves it silly to say that Deng was "most certainly" the #2 option. And despite Odom's playmaking skills, he only averaged .2 more assts/gm. He's a better rebounder, yes, he also played every single regular season minute as a power forward so of course he averaged more RPG. Even if Odom is an ok defender, Deng is still way better. He's also a better shooter, scorer overall, and 6 years younger...and ya, like you said, a higher IQ.

It might be a bit overly simplistic, but there are essentially 4 aspects to basketball- scoring, passing, rebounding, and defense. And to summarize, Odom holds the edge in rebounding (as a PF should), and a SLIGHT edge in passing. Deng is definitely a better scorer (and shooter), & a SIGNIFICANTLY better defender. Then when you factor in age and IQ, how is it so preposterous to say the majority of teams would likely prefer Deng to Odom?

[ Edited by andes14 on Jun 26, 2011 at 16:21:30 ]

Boozer took more shots per game and scored more points per game than Deng. Granted it was by slight margins, but that fact alone proves it silly to say that Deng was "most certainly" the #2 option. And despite Odom's playmaking skills, he only averaged .2 more assts/gm. He's a better rebounder, yes, he also played every single regular season minute as a power forward so of course he averaged more RPG. Even if Odom is an ok defender, Deng is still way better. He's also a better shooter, scorer overall, and 6 years younger...and ya, like you said, a higher IQ.

It might be a bit overly simplistic, but there are essentially 4 aspects to basketball- scoring, passing, rebounding, and defense. And to summarize, Odom holds the edge in rebounding (as a PF should), and a SLIGHT edge in passing. Deng is definitely a better scorer (and shooter), a SIGNIFICANTLY better defender. Then when you factor in age and IQ, how is it so preposterous to say the majority of teams would likely prefer Deng to Odom?

Boozer missed a quarter of the season and his playoff performances certainly should show you he wasn't the number two guy on that team. But that's another topic.

You seem to ignore the difference in minutes played in your argument.

Odom has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher assist/min than Deng this year and especially over his career. If you don't think Odom is a FAR SUPERIOR passer, dribbler, and playmaker than Deng, then you don't watch the same game I do.

Odom was also a FAR more efficient shooter this year than Deng 53% field, 38% 3-point VS 46% field, 34% 3-Point. Their career numbers in these categories are very similar so I'd give it a wash there. Odom has the capability to being just an effective offensive scorer as Deng, he's just never had to be.

Odom's rebounds/minute are also far better than Deng's. If Deng even had the versatility to play SF (which he doesn't because he's not nearly as versatile as Odom) he wouldn't even sniff Odom's rebounding numbers.

Also, I don't want to get this BBall IQ thing twisted. Odom has great BBall IQ, however, he has lapses at times. This was far more evident when he was younger. This past season, he played some great ball.

As for defense, again you understate Odom's ability to fit your argument. Odom is a good defender. I wouldn't say Deng is significantly better. Sure he's better, but you're making the difference between the two to be much bigger than it really is.

Bottom line, if the Lakers offered Bynum and Odom for Deng and Noah the Bulls would accept in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

It might be a bit overly simplistic, but there are essentially 4 aspects to basketball- scoring, passing, rebounding, and defense. And to summarize, Odom holds the edge in rebounding (as a PF should), and a SLIGHT edge in passing. Deng is definitely a better scorer (and shooter), a SIGNIFICANTLY better defender. Then when you factor in age and IQ, how is it so preposterous to say the majority of teams would likely prefer Deng to Odom?

Boozer missed a quarter of the season and his playoff performances certainly should show you he wasn't the number two guy on that team. But that's another topic.

You seem to ignore the difference in minutes played in your argument.

Odom has a SIGNIFICANTLY higher assist/min than Deng this year and especially over his career. If you don't think Odom is a FAR SUPERIOR passer, dribbler, and playmaker than Deng, then you don't watch the same game I do.

Odom was also a FAR more efficient shooter this year than Deng 53% field, 38% 3-point VS 46% field, 34% 3-Point. Their career numbers in these categories are very similar so I'd give it a wash there. Odom has the capability to being just an effective offensive scorer as Deng, he's just never had to be.

Odom's rebounds/minute are also far better than Deng's. If Deng even had the versatility to play SF (which he doesn't because he's not nearly as versatile as Odom) he wouldn't even sniff Odom's rebounding numbers.

Also, I don't want to get this BBall IQ thing twisted. Odom has great BBall IQ, however, he has lapses at times. This was far more evident when he was younger. This past season, he played some great ball.

As for defense, again you understate Odom's ability to fit your argument. Odom is a good defender. I wouldn't say Deng is significantly better. Sure he's better, but you're making the difference between the two to be much bigger than it really is.

Bottom line, if the Lakers offered Bynum and Odom for Deng and Noah the Bulls would accept in a heartbeat.

Uh, lest you forget about the pre-Gasol days with the Lakers, or his days with the Heat and Clippers. Odom, for his entire career, has been either the #1 or #2 scoring option before Pau Gasol was his teammate except MAYBE he was the #3 option the one year Caron Butler was in LA. So the whole "he's never had to be" statement doesn't make very much sense because he indeed HAS had to be for the great majority of his career. Yet Deng, the past 2 years, has scored more than Odom has at any point in his career. Also, just like Deng played every single minute this year at SF, Odom played every single minute this year at PF, so this whole positional versatility argument is getting overblown. Yes, Odom CAN play the 3, just like Deng CAN play the 2, but in reality, they were both restricted to one position last year. And who cares how much time Boozer missed, that doesn't mean that when he played he wasn't the #2 option. Was Dwyane Wade not the Heat's #1 option back in 07-08 because he missed over 30 games? I don't understand what your point is regarding how games missed affects the pecking order. The fact that the Lakers were the healthiest team in NBA history this year doesn't really alter anything in this respect. As for assts/min, Odom averaged .093 and Deng averaged .072- I feel as though you think the discrepancy was greater than that. As for rebounding, you're not getting an argument from me there. I know Odom's a better rebounder, but he's also a PF. And while your claim about Odom's defense is just that he's not bad or that he's solid or whatever, Deng is ELITE in this category.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

PWNED
I kinda wonder if this is 12321.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com