LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

2011 NBA Draft Thread

Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Hope Perry Jones falls to the Dubs

biased against SF/PF tweeners but you're not scared of a possible Anthony Randolph 2.0? bold.

at least Jones seems like he could turn into that to me if he doesn't step his game up

Yeah, but at pick 11, it's a risk worth taking, since he's a top 5 talent in this draft.

If the Warriors get lucky and get a top 3 pick, then the concerns about picking a tweener are more valid.

This draft is extremely weak outside of the top 5.

I don't even think he's a tweener, personally. I think he's a legit PF in terms of size.

As far as Randolph goes, his problem isn't his ability...it's in his head. It's tough to know that sorta thing about a guy if you're not around him. So comparing a player's talent to Anthony Randolph is a compliment, IMO. That's not to say that Jones isn't also a headcase, but that's where AR's problem truly lies.

As I've said before, the draft is the one place where any team can find a true superstar, so I think it's imperative that you take a guy if he has the talent to be one. Jones does. If you look at what future superstars were when they were coming into the league, some huge physical advantage is the most common thread.

Kobe - athletic freak
LeBron - athletic & physical freak
Shaq - athletic & physical freak
Durant - freakish length relative to his perimeter skill set
Howard - athletic freak
Garnett - athletic freak and freakish length
Rose - athletic freak
Dirk - freakish length/size relative to his perimeter skill set
Wade - athletic freak

The exceptions to this are pretty few and far between, and they're usually guys that took a while to develop (Nash), or guys that were so polished that everyone knew they'd be great. (Duncan)

Jones has superstar talent. There have been plenty of guys that have had that but didn't become one...but there are few superstars that didn't have that clay to work with from Day 1.

So IMO, you can't let a guy like that drop too far, even if he has "bust" potential. It's a chance to acquire a superstar.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Mar 25, 2011 at 13:28:13 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Top 10 Prospects: Very PF heavy

1) Derick Williams PF Arizona
2) Kyle Irving PG Duke
3) Jared Sullinger PF Ohio St
4) Harison Barnes SG/SF UNC
5) Enes Kanter PF/C Kentucky
6) Perry Jones PF Baylor
7) Terrence Jones PF Kentuky
8) Jordan Hamilton SF Texas
9) Kawhi Leonard SF San Diego St
10) Kemba Walker PG Uconn

according to who? Bob Fitzgerald said today that there will be 5-6 European guys that get drafted in the top 12.

most videos have audio NSFW.

music NSFW:

also:
Furkan Aldemir TUR 6'10 SF
Andrew Albicy (FRA) 5'10 PG
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kemba Walker reminds me of Von Wafer

Wafer isn't as strong as Walker, but they kind of remind me of each other as well.
Not ready to rank, but here's my opinion.

Kyrie Irving - the real deal. The thing that stands out to me is that he's already a very good shooter. Some of these PG's lately have come in with jumpshot questions -- Rose, Wall, Tyreke. Kyrie, IMO, is clearly a better shooter than all 3 when they entered. And he gets to the rim and finishes in traffic. Money from the line. Smart player.

Derrick Williams - for the longest time, I only thought of him as an undersized 4. But he can shoot, and he's got crazy athleticism. Ball-handling has to improve, like Pete said. But look how much he's improved already. He can be a special wing player.

Kemba Walker - I'm a Kemba fan. Numbers very similar to Allen Iverson in college. Underrated distributor. Gets where he wants on the court and is a deadly shooter. Love his killer instinct. I think he can run an NBA team.

Jared Sullinger - agree with others. Not completely sold. Could come out and be a top 5 pick, but I want to see more. He gets great position in college because there aren't many guys that can keep him out of the paint. But he's gonna have to clean up his post skills in the NBA because he won't overpower everyone.

Harrison Barnes - big time scorer. Love his potential just because he can fill it up. I'm gonna say he's got some Luol Deng in him. Rarely gonna miss an open J.

Jimmer Fredette - Jimmer isn't just a spot up shooter. He can create off the dribble. For that reason, I think he can make it the NBA. It might be as a 6th/7th/8th man, where he can just score. He's so used to having to carry the load with defenses all over him. In the middle of the first round, I'd be OK with picking him.

Brandon Knight - stud. Not sure if he'll come out or not, but I really like his poise. Runs his team, good size, good handles. Only gonna improve. If he can beat Ohio St. tonight, maybe he gets into the top half of the lottery.

Haven't seen enough of Perry Jones, Enes Kanter, the Euros yet to form an opinion.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I think Kyrie might actually fall a bit, since he's not on the same athletic level as Rose or Wall.
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Kyrie Irving - the real deal. The thing that stands out to me is that he's already a very good shooter. Some of these PG's lately have come in with jumpshot questions -- Rose, Wall, Tyreke. Kyrie, IMO, is clearly a better shooter than all 3 when they entered. And he gets to the rim and finishes in traffic. Money from the line. Smart player.

Derrick Williams - for the longest time, I only thought of him as an undersized 4. But he can shoot, and he's got crazy athleticism. Ball-handling has to improve, like Pete said. But look how much he's improved already. He can be a special wing player.

Kemba Walker - I'm a Kemba fan. Numbers very similar to Allen Iverson in college. Underrated distributor. Gets where he wants on the court and is a deadly shooter. Love his killer instinct. I think he can run an NBA team.

Jared Sullinger - agree with others. Not completely sold. Could come out and be a top 5 pick, but I want to see more. He gets great position in college because there aren't many guys that can keep him out of the paint. But he's gonna have to clean up his post skills in the NBA because he won't overpower everyone.

Harrison Barnes - big time scorer. Love his potential just because he can fill it up. I'm gonna say he's got some Luol Deng in him. Rarely gonna miss an open J.

Jimmer Fredette - Jimmer isn't just a spot up shooter. He can create off the dribble. For that reason, I think he can make it the NBA. It might be as a 6th/7th/8th man, where he can just score. He's so used to having to carry the load with defenses all over him. In the middle of the first round, I'd be OK with picking him.

Brandon Knight - stud. Not sure if he'll come out or not, but I really like his poise. Runs his team, good size, good handles. Only gonna improve. If he can beat Ohio St. tonight, maybe he gets into the top half of the lottery.

Haven't seen enough of Perry Jones, Enes Kanter, the Euros yet to form an opinion.

no way Jimmer gets picked before three 7 foot Europeans that have been playing professional since they were 14.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Damn one draft site compares Sullinger to Sean May, that's harsh.

no way Jimmer gets picked before three 7 foot Europeans that have been playing professional since they were 14.

Im pretty sure he wasn't ranking them or doing a mock draft since he said he was just giving his opinion on them...
I think Kyrie might actually fall a bit, since he's not on the same athletic level as Rose or Wall.

I can see him being a top 3 pick depending on which team is picking early. I can see the Kings or Cavaliers going with Irving if they land the first pick.

Im pretty sure he wasn't ranking them or doing a mock draft since he said he was just giving his opinion on them...

my bad, just adding my 2c too.

my bad, just adding my 2c too.

thats cool, just clarifying.

I haven't seen any Euro basketball so all the European players are completely unknown quantities to me.

2) Kyle Irving PG Duke
6) Perry Jones PF Baylor

according to who? Bob Fitzgerald said today that there will be 5-6 European guys that get drafted in the top 12.

music NSFW:

also:

I'm a big fan of Jan Vesely. He reminds me of Kirilenko, with more upside on the offensive end.
Originally posted by saniner:

2) Kyle Irving PG Duke
6) Perry Jones PF Baylor

music NSFW:

also:

I'm a big fan of Jan Vesely. He reminds me of Kirilenko, with more upside on the offensive end.

he does look very athletic for a Euro.

I can see him being a top 3 pick depending on which team is picking early. I can see the Kings or Cavaliers going with Irving if they land the first pick.

A buddy of mine whose opinion I really respect describes Irving as Andre Miller with a jump shot, which I think is a good description.

He actually thinks Terrence Jones is the best player in the draft.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

A buddy of mine whose opinion I really respect describes Irving as Andre Miller with a jump shot, which I think is a good description.

He actually thinks Terrence Jones is the best player in the draft.

I really like Jones. I've said before that I want the Jazz to draft him.

As for Irving, I feel he is more similar to Chris Paul. He's a complete player, and is so fast down the court. His ability to drive the lane and score is very good too. Injuries really hurt his stock this year, but he has the ability to be elite. That's just my opinion of course.
Share 49ersWebzone