There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 NBA Draft Thread

Originally posted by crzy:
Hope Perry Jones falls to the Dubs

biased against SF/PF tweeners but you're not scared of a possible Anthony Randolph 2.0? bold.

at least Jones seems like he could turn into that to me if he doesn't step his game up
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

biased against SF/PF tweeners but you're not scared of a possible Anthony Randolph 2.0? bold.

at least Jones seems like he could turn into that to me if he doesn't step his game up

I was afraid of that as well. I watched some of his clips this season and he does seem very similar to Anthony Randolph: tall, lanky, decent ball handling, slow mid range shot release, and with the suspension, questions about his maturity.
Perry Jones will get bullied around in the paint at PF.
i would LOVE to have granger.

Also, you think Kemba Walker is a talent level below those top 6?

He seems like ice runs through his veins and he has the talent and confidence to match.

I'm gonna give a long-winded answer.

When I watch a college player, I ask "Is he going to be able to do THAT in the NBA?"...with "THAT" being whatever his greatest skill is. In Walker's case, it's his ability to score in bunches, and do so in a way that puts so much pressure on the defense that it gives other guys opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have.

If the answer's no, I ask "Do they have the physical tools that give them a natural advantage over their opponents?" Reason being, those physical tools will start to turn into major advantages IF that player learns how to play the game.

In Walker's case, I think the answer to both of those questions is no. Will he be so difficult to single cover on the next level that he'll demand the extra attention of a second player in the NBA? Will an NBA coach build his offense around Kemba Walker having the ball in his hands for large portions of the game? I don't think so. And regarding his physical tools, there's nothing about him that stands out on the next level. In fact, he's probably a little subpar when it comes to PGs these days.

All of that is with the caveat that he may not have had the opportunity to exhibit PG skills in college due to the role he needed to fill on his team. The same could be said of Jimmer Fredette, and that's the main reason that I was wrong on Stephen Curry. If either Fredette or Walker have solid PG skills the way that Curry does, they'll have very nice careers. Otherwise, I don't see them being anything more than a spark plug off of the bench.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Perry Jones will get bullied around in the paint at PF.

Maybe, but not because of his size. He's a legit 6'10" - 6'11", 235lbs, and he's 19 years old. He'll add a good 15-20 lbs to his frame in the next couple of years. I'm more worried about his willingness to bang down low. He doesn't do much of that.
Kemba Walker reminds me of Von Wafer
Pete no Sully on your top 6? really?
Originally posted by vrabbit:

I'm not a fan. Terrible defender, and gets by a lot on being big in college, but he's an undersized PF (height wise) in the NBA and not an exceptional athlete. Great rebounder and has a good motor, along with good touch around the hoop.

He reminds me of Paul Millsap, and I wouldn't take that kinda player in the Top 6 of the draft, even this relatively weak one.
  • crzy
  • Veteran

Yeah, but at pick 11, it's a risk worth taking, since he's a top 5 talent in this draft.

If the Warriors get lucky and get a top 3 pick, then the concerns about picking a tweener are more valid.

This draft is extremely weak outside of the top 5.

[ Edited by crzy on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:51:44 ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I'm not a fan. Terrible defender, and gets by a lot on being big in college, but he's an undersized PF (height wise) in the NBA and not an exceptional athlete. Great rebounder and has a good motor, along with good touch around the hoop.

He reminds me of Paul Millsap, and I wouldn't take that kinda player in the Top 6 of the draft, even this relatively weak one.

ok I can see that, that's pretty fair
where do you guys see harrison barnes going?
Originally posted by YungAce:

to the kings
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by YungAce:

to the kings

you mean Royals?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Top 10 Prospects: Very PF heavy

1) Derick Williams PF Arizona
2) Kyle Irving PG Duke
3) Jared Sullinger PF Ohio St
4) Harison Barnes SG/SF UNC
5) Enes Kanter PF/C Kentucky
6) Perry Jones PF Baylor
7) Terrence Jones PF Kentuky
8) Jordan Hamilton SF Texas
9) Kawhi Leonard SF San Diego St
10) Kemba Walker PG Uconn

according to who? Bob Fitzgerald said today that there will be 5-6 European guys that get drafted in the top 12.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I like the guy, but I agree with you Pete, that he doesn't belong in the top 5. He reminds me of Zach Randolph without the consistency of making the outside shot.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home