LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

UConn's "Record Breaking" win streak

Its not just ESPN, so quit trying to form some ESPN conspiracy

HARTFORD, Conn. -- The game wasn't competitive. Coronations rarely are. UConn won its 89th consecutive game on Tuesday night, a 93-62 win over Florida State that morphed from basketball game into a blue and white pep rally in the second half.

The victory tops the 88-game winning streak set by John Wooden's UCLA men's teams from 1971-74, and leaves the UConn women at the top of the list among major-college basketball's longest winning streaks. In the game's waning seconds, the crowd at the XL Center held signs in the air with the number "89," serenading the team with the sweet sounds of those digits. Behind the Florida State bench, fans unfurled a large tribute banner to UConn coach Geno Auriemma. It read THE SORCERER OF STORRS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/richard_deitsch/12/22/uconn.women.pass.ucla/index.html?eref=sihp

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/recap;_ylt=Ak..z5HrouQs5yafYGfisnNMvrYF?gid=201012210129

The No. 1 Huskies topped the 88-game winning streak set by John Wooden’s UCLA men’s team from 1971-74, beating No. 22 Florida State 93-62 on Tuesday night. Playing with the relentlessness that has become its trademark—and would have made Wooden proud—UConn blew past the Seminoles as it has so many other teams in the last 2 1/2 years.
[ Edited by valrod33 on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:37 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
if its so easy, then maybe some of y'all should go and coach a women's basketball team to 88 straight wins.

How many men coach women's basketball? A few. It may be to make up for their insecurities about something? just a guess. If Geno were all that he would have left for a mens job along time ago. Why stay? Oh yeah to break UCLA's record.

Its not the girl's fault its that pompous arrogant coach's and ESPN's fault for touting it as "record breaking" which its not.

Had a men's team do it, that is a whole different story, and a tip of the hat. But not like this.

meh. I can't read Geno's mind--and, frankly, I don't follow UConn Women's basketball, and don't give a s**t--so I don't know why he coaches women instead of men, and, again, I don't give a s**t. Maybe he likes it better. Or maybe you're right and its just because he knows he can have more success there.

But you know what? Success isn't guaranteed to anybody. He still has to recruit and coach and deal with new players and injuries and the spotlight and whatever else comes along with coaching a team of collegians. And he's won and won and won.

The problem with your problem with this is that its all about how inferior women are and how inferior anyone who is involved or interested in women's sports is. Get over it, man. You don't have to watch and you don't have to care and you can (justifiably) hold that the UCLA record is more impressive. But the fact remains that the record for the most consecutive wins by a NCAA D-1 Basketball team belongs to UConn Women. The men's record may be "more impressive" but the women's record is bigger number, so its the #1 record when including both men's and women's stats.

Apples and Oranges? Yes and no. The Men's game is tougher, more competitive, but winning 88 straight games is f**king impressive no matter who or what or where or when. Just give credit where its due.

Like I said in the opening, I Gave Credit. But this should have been done at 71 wins. Not this. They cant say that ok since its college....both mens records are the same as womens records. Why would anyone say this? That is exactly what UConss coach and ESPN are throwing down our throats. And that is where the problem is. That is a made up stat just to give this creedence....#1 Division 1 winning streak.

Lemme ask this. Say they had a D1 womens football league and they break the all time winning streak? Is it the same as All Time D 1 ? Or what is a woman in any sport breaks a mans individual record in a team sport like football....like a rushing record. Is that the same? Uh No...

Im not degrading womens athletics, it is very competitive. But we are all educated enough to know that the physics is very different in men and women....that is why they are in differnt leagues....so should their records....that is the point.

88 straight wins, dude. its not a "made up stat." Let anyone who wants to beat that record beat it. Until then, that's the most consecutive wins that anyone in D-1 basketball history has achieved.

and as to your football analogy: yes it would be the same thing. Winning isn't easy in any sport. Anyone who wins with that kind of consistent domination deserves respect and deserves any of the accolades that comes with winning like that. I'm really not sure why this bothers you.

Its a made up stat when ESPN says that it breaks a men's record and calls it Fact. I cant think of any sport that is not coed that assumes all stats are for both for womens and men. There are stats being made up all the time it seems like....for instance ESPN made up a stat that Brett Farve is the leader in all time come from behind leader with three teams...I $hit you not. Meaningless stats.

For womens basketball its big...it should have been big at 71 wins its original time to throw this party. Not at the mens record. It doesent count...interesting to see that if it were another team, that they would get this much pub...outside of ESPN's state of Conneticut, where alot of ESPNs big wigs all hail from CT.

how exactly are WINS a made up stat?

They won more games consecutively than anybody--including any men's team. THAT's the accomplishment. If you want to say that the UCLA Men's record is more impressive, and that UCONN has done it against overall weaker competition in a version of the sport that is less physical and thus easier to sustain, you'll get no argument from me. But to say that it ISN'T A RECORD is beyond stupid.

Youre not following me. I am saying lumping UConns streak into UCLAs streak and calling it record breaking is a made up stat. Mens records and Womens records are seperate. They are seperate for every other types of athletic comprtiton. So why this?

How come in the olympics everytime someone sets a world record or olympic record....it is for only women records or mens records? Why not just throw them all together into one group. Because they are seperate. Physics are different. That goes for every other sport. No one has ever thought to throw Serena Willimas or Navratalova's many accomplishments in tennis to that of their male counterparts. How about womens soccer? How come the US womens team doesnt get recognized as one of the greatest dynasties ever in soccer? Because its a womens sport. See where I am going with this? Just because ESPN calls their streak as fact....is bull $hit. Like I said a great streak to have, and tip of the hat to UCONN....but why is this the only time that a womens record is lumped in with a mens record? Again completely irresponsible journalism.

Its my opinion, as you have yours.....but I hope you see why its BS.

sorry, I still don't see why its BS. Is the streak just a figment of everyone's imagination? No? You mean they actually won 89 games in a row? Well: that's called a "fact."

Anyway, your Olympics analogy is terrible. A) If a woman ran the world's fastest mile, by your logic she would have, somehow, not ran the fastest mile in the recorded history of the world because she's a woman. B) While you are right that most stats and accomplishments should be "gender separated" because the physical abilities of the genders are completely different and it is only reasonable to judge a woman's accomplishments against other women, what we are talking about is wins in a team sport, and if you think it is somehow easy or different to win with such consistency and domination because of the gender difference, then you're being silly.

It would be absolutely asinine to ignore the fact that the UCONN women have won 89 games in a row, just because they are women. Which is what you are proposing, when you say that they should have celebrated at breaking the previous women's record. Well, I'm sure they did. And they're celebrating again now that they have broken the men's record. They have won more games in a row than any other D-1 team, men's or women's. It's an incredible feat.

And your conspiracy theories about ESPN would only make sense if this were a completely imaginary accomplishment. Everyone in the country knows that UCONN broke the record. Should ESPN ignore it just because they're also in Connecticut?
if its so easy, then maybe some of y'all should go and coach a women's basketball team to 88 straight wins.

How many men coach women's basketball? A few. It may be to make up for their insecurities about something? just a guess. If Geno were all that he would have left for a mens job along time ago. Why stay? Oh yeah to break UCLA's record.

Its not the girl's fault its that pompous arrogant coach's and ESPN's fault for touting it as "record breaking" which its not.

Had a men's team do it, that is a whole different story, and a tip of the hat. But not like this.

meh. I can't read Geno's mind--and, frankly, I don't follow UConn Women's basketball, and don't give a s**t--so I don't know why he coaches women instead of men, and, again, I don't give a s**t. Maybe he likes it better. Or maybe you're right and its just because he knows he can have more success there.

But you know what? Success isn't guaranteed to anybody. He still has to recruit and coach and deal with new players and injuries and the spotlight and whatever else comes along with coaching a team of collegians. And he's won and won and won.

The problem with your problem with this is that its all about how inferior women are and how inferior anyone who is involved or interested in women's sports is. Get over it, man. You don't have to watch and you don't have to care and you can (justifiably) hold that the UCLA record is more impressive. But the fact remains that the record for the most consecutive wins by a NCAA D-1 Basketball team belongs to UConn Women. The men's record may be "more impressive" but the women's record is bigger number, so its the #1 record when including both men's and women's stats.

Apples and Oranges? Yes and no. The Men's game is tougher, more competitive, but winning 88 straight games is f**king impressive no matter who or what or where or when. Just give credit where its due.

Like I said in the opening, I Gave Credit. But this should have been done at 71 wins. Not this. They cant say that ok since its college....both mens records are the same as womens records. Why would anyone say this? That is exactly what UConss coach and ESPN are throwing down our throats. And that is where the problem is. That is a made up stat just to give this creedence....#1 Division 1 winning streak.

Lemme ask this. Say they had a D1 womens football league and they break the all time winning streak? Is it the same as All Time D 1 ? Or what is a woman in any sport breaks a mans individual record in a team sport like football....like a rushing record. Is that the same? Uh No...

Im not degrading womens athletics, it is very competitive. But we are all educated enough to know that the physics is very different in men and women....that is why they are in differnt leagues....so should their records....that is the point.

88 straight wins, dude. its not a "made up stat." Let anyone who wants to beat that record beat it. Until then, that's the most consecutive wins that anyone in D-1 basketball history has achieved.

and as to your football analogy: yes it would be the same thing. Winning isn't easy in any sport. Anyone who wins with that kind of consistent domination deserves respect and deserves any of the accolades that comes with winning like that. I'm really not sure why this bothers you.

Its a made up stat when ESPN says that it breaks a men's record and calls it Fact. I cant think of any sport that is not coed that assumes all stats are for both for womens and men. There are stats being made up all the time it seems like....for instance ESPN made up a stat that Brett Farve is the leader in all time come from behind leader with three teams...I $hit you not. Meaningless stats.

For womens basketball its big...it should have been big at 71 wins its original time to throw this party. Not at the mens record. It doesent count...interesting to see that if it were another team, that they would get this much pub...outside of ESPN's state of Conneticut, where alot of ESPNs big wigs all hail from CT.

how exactly are WINS a made up stat?

They won more games consecutively than anybody--including any men's team. THAT's the accomplishment. If you want to say that the UCLA Men's record is more impressive, and that UCONN has done it against overall weaker competition in a version of the sport that is less physical and thus easier to sustain, you'll get no argument from me. But to say that it ISN'T A RECORD is beyond stupid.

Youre not following me. I am saying lumping UConns streak into UCLAs streak and calling it record breaking is a made up stat. Mens records and Womens records are seperate. They are seperate for every other types of athletic comprtiton. So why this?

How come in the olympics everytime someone sets a world record or olympic record....it is for only women records or mens records? Why not just throw them all together into one group. Because they are seperate. Physics are different. That goes for every other sport. No one has ever thought to throw Serena Willimas or Navratalova's many accomplishments in tennis to that of their male counterparts. How about womens soccer? How come the US womens team doesnt get recognized as one of the greatest dynasties ever in soccer? Because its a womens sport. See where I am going with this? Just because ESPN calls their streak as fact....is bull $hit. Like I said a great streak to have, and tip of the hat to UCONN....but why is this the only time that a womens record is lumped in with a mens record? Again completely irresponsible journalism.

Its my opinion, as you have yours.....but I hope you see why its BS.

sorry, I still don't see why its BS. Is the streak just a figment of everyone's imagination? No? You mean they actually won 89 games in a row? Well: that's called a "fact."

Anyway, your Olympics analogy is terrible. A) If a woman ran the world's fastest mile, by your logic she would have, somehow, not ran the fastest mile in the recorded history of the world because she's a woman. B) While you are right that most stats and accomplishments should be "gender separated" because the physical abilities of the genders are completely different and it is only reasonable to judge a woman's accomplishments against other women, what we are talking about is wins in a team sport, and if you think it is somehow easy or different to win with such consistency and domination because of the gender difference, then you're being silly.

It would be absolutely asinine to ignore the fact that the UCONN women have won 89 games in a row, just because they are women. Which is what you are proposing, when you say that they should have celebrated at breaking the previous women's record. Well, I'm sure they did. And they're celebrating again now that they have broken the men's record. They have won more games in a row than any other D-1 team, men's or women's. It's an incredible feat.

And your conspiracy theories about ESPN would only make sense if this were a completely imaginary accomplishment. Everyone in the country knows that UCONN broke the record. Should ESPN ignore it just because they're also in Connecticut?

How is the olympics example "terrible"? If a woman broke a record it is for their gender. Not for a mans gender. Because those records are seperated by gender. I think that went way over your head. You think I am bashing at the women. That is over your head as well....I think you have completly missed my point here. That records should be gender specific is the point, and not correlate into mens records. No comment on the other examples then, especially with soccer? lol ok.

Point to me where they use both genders for the same sport, other than obvioulsy now, because no one has thought to use a womens team breaking a mens record. Until now. And its retarded. Why would talking in terms of number of championships is Tennessee, and UCONN womens teams not mentioned with UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, DUKE, etc. Because they are in womens sports! Might as well throw them in the mix too because they are Division 1 too huh? Uh no.

You are just assuming I am bashing away at their accomplishment which is not what I am doing. Like I said, I TIP MY HAT to UConn's women....but saying they beat a record that is not even in their gender is ignorant, and it is annoying to keep hearing about it on tv.

Who cares if its ESPN, SI, or anyone. Its not a record for women to beat. So everyone "knows" that they beat a mens record, well everyone should also "know" that its tainted. That is all. Im done talking about it.
Calm down, peoples. Nobody is taking anything from Wooden. Everyone knows the circumstances are different. Both accomplishments are great.
so if a woman ran a 1 minute mile, it wouldn't be the fastest mile ever? It would only be the fastest mile ever for a woman?
so if a woman ran a 1 minute mile, it wouldn't be the fastest mile ever? It would only be the fastest mile ever for a woman?

Originally posted by pantstickle:
Calm down, peoples. Nobody is taking anything from Wooden. Everyone knows the circumstances are different. Both accomplishments are great.

Exactly. Seriously this is just a stupid thread. I have never heard one person think that UConn's achievement is better than UCLA's. It is simply a number that they have been able to get to that is a tremendous accomplishment.

If a woman ran a 1 minute mile, a man would top it. If not, then it would be disqualified.

If a woman ran a 1 minute mile, a man would top it. If not, then it would be disqualified.

if a woman ran a 1 minute mile, she would BE a man!

No.. she would be a thoroughbred horse on steroids.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

No.. she would be a thoroughbred horse on steroids.

i'd still hit it.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
How many men's teams did Uconn beat on their streak? You can say they have the NCAA DI women's basketball record, that's it. You don't compare stats from the d-league or Europe to the NBA. They are entirely different leagues which do not play one another. You don't compare NFL stats to NBA stats or NHL stats. The only place that idiocracy is allowed is ESPN.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The thing that makes it a non-comparison is the disparity of the good teams to average teams in men's and women's basketball. In men's the talent is close enough that a boderline top 25 team could give a number #1 a run for it's money. In women's a top 5 team will blow away #25 by 30 points.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
By your analogy, if coaches and player took pro-bowl seriously - winning that game will be more impressive than the Superbowl - since the opposing team is much better?

88 wins is crazy - and deserve all the attention and accolades they are getting. C'mon bro, you're being upset for no reason. Records are meant to be broken. UCLA is gettin' plenty of recognition due to this streak by UConn
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Exactly. Seriously this is just a stupid thread. I have never heard one person think that UConn's achievement is better than UCLA's. It is simply a number that they have been able to get to that is a tremendous accomplishment.

ESPN disagrees. They keep touting it as beating UCLA's record.
Share 49ersWebzone