LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

UConn's "Record Breaking" win streak

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
if its so easy, then maybe some of y'all should go and coach a women's basketball team to 88 straight wins.

How many men coach women's basketball? A few. It may be to make up for their insecurities about something? just a guess. If Geno were all that he would have left for a mens job along time ago. Why stay? Oh yeah to break UCLA's record.

Its not the girl's fault its that pompous arrogant coach's and ESPN's fault for touting it as "record breaking" which its not.

Had a men's team do it, that is a whole different story, and a tip of the hat. But not like this.

I don't think he's been offered a men's job. I'm pretty sure I read or saw that somewhere online last season.
if its so easy, then maybe some of y'all should go and coach a women's basketball team to 88 straight wins.

How many men coach women's basketball? A few. It may be to make up for their insecurities about something? just a guess. If Geno were all that he would have left for a mens job along time ago. Why stay? Oh yeah to break UCLA's record.

Its not the girl's fault its that pompous arrogant coach's and ESPN's fault for touting it as "record breaking" which its not.

Had a men's team do it, that is a whole different story, and a tip of the hat. But not like this.

meh. I can't read Geno's mind--and, frankly, I don't follow UConn Women's basketball, and don't give a s**t--so I don't know why he coaches women instead of men, and, again, I don't give a s**t. Maybe he likes it better. Or maybe you're right and its just because he knows he can have more success there.

But you know what? Success isn't guaranteed to anybody. He still has to recruit and coach and deal with new players and injuries and the spotlight and whatever else comes along with coaching a team of collegians. And he's won and won and won.

The problem with your problem with this is that its all about how inferior women are and how inferior anyone who is involved or interested in women's sports is. Get over it, man. You don't have to watch and you don't have to care and you can (justifiably) hold that the UCLA record is more impressive. But the fact remains that the record for the most consecutive wins by a NCAA D-1 Basketball team belongs to UConn Women. The men's record may be "more impressive" but the women's record is bigger number, so its the #1 record when including both men's and women's stats.

Apples and Oranges? Yes and no. The Men's game is tougher, more competitive, but winning 88 straight games is f**king impressive no matter who or what or where or when. Just give credit where its due.

meh. I can't read Geno's mind--and, frankly, I don't follow UConn Women's basketball, and don't give a s**t--so I don't know why he coaches women instead of men, and, again, I don't give a s**t. Maybe he likes it better. Or maybe you're right and its just because he knows he can have more success there.

But you know what? Success isn't guaranteed to anybody. He still has to recruit and coach and deal with new players and injuries and the spotlight and whatever else comes along with coaching a team of collegians. And he's won and won and won.

The problem with your problem with this is that its all about how inferior women are and how inferior anyone who is involved or interested in women's sports is. Get over it, man. You don't have to watch and you don't have to care and you can (justifiably) hold that the UCLA record is more impressive. But the fact remains that the record for the most consecutive wins by a NCAA D-1 Basketball team belongs to UConn Women. The men's record may be "more impressive" but the women's record is bigger number, so its the #1 record when including both men's and women's stats.

Apples and Oranges? Yes and no. The Men's game is tougher, more competitive, but winning 88 straight games is f**king impressive no matter who or what or where or when. Just give credit where its due.

They just won

Like I said in the opening, I Gave Credit. But this should have been done at 71 wins. Not this. They cant say that ok since its college....both mens records are the same as womens records. Why would anyone say this? That is exactly what UConss coach and ESPN are throwing down our throats. And that is where the problem is. That is a made up stat just to give this creedence....#1 Division 1 winning streak.

Lemme ask this. Say they had a D1 womens football league and they break the all time winning streak? Is it the same as All Time D 1 ? Or what is a woman in any sport breaks a mans individual record in a team sport like football....like a rushing record. Is that the same? Uh No...

Im not degrading womens athletics, it is very competitive. But we are all educated enough to know that the physics is very different in men and women....that is why they are in differnt leagues....so should their records....that is the point.

Like I said in the opening, I Gave Credit. But this should have been done at 71 wins. Not this. They cant say that ok since its college....both mens records are the same as womens records. Why would anyone say this? That is exactly what UConss coach and ESPN are throwing down our throats. And that is where the problem is. That is a made up stat just to give this creedence....#1 Division 1 winning streak.

Lemme ask this. Say they had a D1 womens football league and they break the all time winning streak? Is it the same as All Time D 1 ? Or what is a woman in any sport breaks a mans individual record in a team sport like football....like a rushing record. Is that the same? Uh No...

Im not degrading womens athletics, it is very competitive. But we are all educated enough to know that the physics is very different in men and women....that is why they are in differnt leagues....so should their records....that is the point.

88 straight wins, dude. its not a "made up stat." Let anyone who wants to beat that record beat it. Until then, that's the most consecutive wins that anyone in D-1 basketball history has achieved.

and as to your football analogy: yes it would be the same thing. Winning isn't easy in any sport. Anyone who wins with that kind of consistent domination deserves respect and deserves any of the accolades that comes with winning like that. I'm really not sure why this bothers you.
i'll do maya moore

Very well said. I dont watch woman's basketball but I can at least recognize what an amazing accomplishment 89 wins in a row is. I dont care if it is women or men.. its a HUGE number.
If ESPN wants to recognize this they may as well recognize the Wayland Baptist women's team in the early 50's who won 131 straight games. I love how they conveniently ignore them because D1 basketball hadn't been formed yet for women.

88 straight wins, dude. its not a "made up stat." Let anyone who wants to beat that record beat it. Until then, that's the most consecutive wins that anyone in D-1 basketball history has achieved.

and as to your football analogy: yes it would be the same thing. Winning isn't easy in any sport. Anyone who wins with that kind of consistent domination deserves respect and deserves any of the accolades that comes with winning like that. I'm really not sure why this bothers you.

Its a made up stat when ESPN says that it breaks a men's record and calls it Fact. I cant think of any sport that is not coed that assumes all stats are for both for womens and men. There are stats being made up all the time it seems like....for instance ESPN made up a stat that Brett Farve is the leader in all time come from behind leader with three teams...I $hit you not. Meaningless stats.

For womens basketball its big...it should have been big at 71 wins its original time to throw this party. Not at the mens record. It doesent count...interesting to see that if it were another team, that they would get this much pub...outside of ESPN's state of Conneticut, where alot of ESPNs big wigs all hail from CT.

Big . . Big . . Big . . .

Its a made up stat when ESPN says that it breaks a men's record and calls it Fact. I cant think of any sport that is not coed that assumes all stats are for both for womens and men. There are stats being made up all the time it seems like....for instance ESPN made up a stat that Brett Farve is the leader in all time come from behind leader with three teams...I $hit you not. Meaningless stats.

For womens basketball its big...it should have been big at 71 wins its original time to throw this party. Not at the mens record. It doesent count...interesting to see that if it were another team, that they would get this much pub...outside of ESPN's state of Conneticut, where alot of ESPNs big wigs all hail from CT.

how exactly are WINS a made up stat?

They won more games consecutively than anybody--including any men's team. THAT's the accomplishment. If you want to say that the UCLA Men's record is more impressive, and that UCONN has done it against overall weaker competition in a version of the sport that is less physical and thus easier to sustain, you'll get no argument from me. But to say that it ISN'T A RECORD is beyond stupid.
It's not the same streak. Mens and womens college basketball is totally different. The eras were also totally different. There is no comparison.

Having said all that the UConn streak is impressive.

how exactly are WINS a made up stat?

They won more games consecutively than anybody--including any men's team. THAT's the accomplishment. If you want to say that the UCLA Men's record is more impressive, and that UCONN has done it against overall weaker competition in a version of the sport that is less physical and thus easier to sustain, you'll get no argument from me. But to say that it ISN'T A RECORD is beyond stupid.

Youre not following me. I am saying lumping UConns streak into UCLAs streak and calling it record breaking is a made up stat. Mens records and Womens records are seperate. They are seperate for every other types of athletic comprtiton. So why this?

How come in the olympics everytime someone sets a world record or olympic record....it is for only women records or mens records? Why not just throw them all together into one group. Because they are seperate. Physics are different. That goes for every other sport. No one has ever thought to throw Serena Willimas or Navratalova's many accomplishments in tennis to that of their male counterparts. How about womens soccer? How come the US womens team doesnt get recognized as one of the greatest dynasties ever in soccer? Because its a womens sport. See where I am going with this? Just because ESPN calls their streak as fact....is bull $hit. Like I said a great streak to have, and tip of the hat to UCONN....but why is this the only time that a womens record is lumped in with a mens record? Again completely irresponsible journalism.

Its my opinion, as you have yours.....but I hope you see why its BS.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Dec 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM ]
Impressive accomplishment, regardless of the gender.
Share 49ersWebzone