There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

UConn's "Record Breaking" win streak

I'm annoyed. Really annoyed.

Why does UConn deserve to be in position to "break" UCLA's all time record for wins in a row?

I don't get it. Yes it is impressive, but its in a WOMEN's sport. Not a MEN's sport. ESPN is full of $HIT with this one. Just because they are based in Conneticut imo, they think that this means something by saying "A Division 1 record". Get over yourselves ESPN. There is a difference in Mens vs Womens sports in General.

When Pat Summit got the all time wins record...it was for Womens College Basketball....not Division 1 record.

ESPN acts like this is a big deal, when all that it is, is just setting a women's mark.

Enjoy your "win" UConn and ESPN, because the rest of us in the country dont really care about this streak.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Why does UConn deserve to be in position to "break" UCLA's all time record for wins in a row?

I don't get it. Yes it is impressive, but its in a WOMEN's sport. Not a MEN's sport. ESPN is full of $HIT with this one. Just because they are based in Conneticut imo, they think that this means something by saying "A Division 1 record". Get over yourselves ESPN. There is a difference in Mens vs Womens sports in General.

When Pat Summit got the all time wins record...it was for Womens College Basketball....not Division 1 record.

ESPN acts like this is a big deal, when all that it is, is just setting a women's mark.

Enjoy your "win" UConn and ESPN, because the rest of us in the country dont really care about this streak.

Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt won her 880th game, surpassing legendary coach Dean Smith for the record of most Division I wins.
You hate the ladies?
Say the women start playing football. And come up with a womens league in college. All of a sudden there is a girl that "breaks" a record set by the men. Is that fair to the men? No. Just as it is now. Keep your records in the womens part of athletics....dont lump them in.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt won her 880th game, surpassing legendary coach Dean Smith for the record of most Division I wins.

Then why is ESPN saying that Coach K just tyed Dean Smith last night for second place? With only Bobby Knight ahead of him for 1st. See?
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Dude just ignore it

Women's sports don't exist as far as I'm concerned except tennis.

Tennis is the only women's sport where they would have a remote chance versus a male compeititor
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Dude just ignore it

Tennis is the only women's sport where they would have a remote chance versus a male compeititor

Yeah I totally agree. No one gives a flying f**k.
Dude just ignore it

Not even, the men hit too much harder than they're used to. The men are also a whole lot more aggressive and diverse in their styles.

I'd say maybe they'll have a chance in checkers.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 21, 2010 at 8:44 AM ]
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Dude just ignore it

Not even, the men hit too much harder than they're used to. The men are also a whole lot more aggressive and diverse in their styles.

-9fA

Isn't there a famous tennis women's player who beat a man once?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Dude just ignore it

-9fA

Isn't there a famous tennis women's player who beat a man once?

Yeah, although that was a long time ago. Anyways, here's the full description:

A (Bobby Riggs) master promoter of himself and the game, Riggs saw an opportunity in 1973 to make money and to elevate the popularity of a sport he loved. Although 55 years old, he deliberately played the male chauvinist card and came out of retirement to challenge one of the world's greatest female players to a match, claiming that the female game was inferior and that a top female player could not beat him even at the age of 55. The cagey Riggs challenged Margaret Court, 30 years old and the top female player in the world. In their May 13, 1973, Mother's Day match in Ramona, California, Riggs used his drop shots and lobs to keep an unprepared Court off balance. His easy 6–2, 6–1 victory landed Riggs on the cover of both Sports Illustrated and Time magazine.

Riggs had originally challenged Billie Jean King to a match, but King had declined. Following the embarrassing (to the women's pro tennis world) loss by Court to Riggs, King accepted his challenge, and on September 20, 1973, the two met in the Houston Astrodome to play what may well be the most famous tennis match of all time. King beat Riggs in the match forever known as The Battle of the Sexes 6–4, 6–3, 6–3. Unlike a match between Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova in 1992, in which Connors was allowed only one serve per point and Navratilova was allowed to hit into half the doubles court, this match was played using the normal rules of tennis.

Dude was 55 at the time lol.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM ]

you don't care, yet you're annoyed and make this thread?
Dude just ignore it

There would be ZERO chance that a professional woman could beat a professional man in tennis. The one sport where a woman could actually compete against a man would be in golf if a woman played from tees that evened out the playing field. If a man was playing from 7200 yards and a woman from 6000 it could be a toss up.
Originally posted by teeohh:

you don't care, yet you're annoyed and make this thread?

LOL. I actually DO think there are many people who do care about woman's college basketball. Of COURSE it isnt as great of a record as UCLA's winning streak simply because the quality of competition isnt as great. However, it is still a pretty damn impressive accomplishment. It's certainly not something worthy of being annoyed about. Better to simply ignore it.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home