There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Slow down there Sabean(says SF has become a baseball town)

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
First of all there is HUGE support for both teams. Obviously right this second it's a baseball town, how can it not be? If we can win it will be the first ever Championship for the Giants in SF and a real real nice ballpark. The 49ers on the other hand have been irrelevant for 8 years and play in maybe the worst stadium in the NFL. Yet still sell out and still have huge support.

Obviously now there is a huge bandwagon for the Giants, a real big chunk of the Giants fans you see around town today probably couldn't name more than 2 players about 2-3 months ago.

that's true, but during the year, even years where the Giants suck, you see Giants gear all over the place. I almost never saw Niners gear, except on gamedays.

I wouldn't say there was a hugely noticeable difference between Giants and 49ers support before we made the run for the playoffs. Most people I know are bigger football fans than baseball though. So maybe I'm biased.

It's cool to see the huge support show up for the Giants, but I know it's way more special for me and the real hardcore Giants fans.
I don't understand why people talk about Sports Organizations like some kind of abstract entity.

The San Francisco 49ers is simply a brand name, incapable of winning anything(or losing anything for that matter)

You can't say the SF 49ers are in a down period...that just does not make any sense. The Brand was transferred from Eddie D to the Yorks. Since this transfer of ownership the teams fielded on Sunday look DRAMATICALLY different. This is not a down period. This is simply a Brand that is no longer run by a competitive owner.

San Francisco should be a Baseball town first. Because the Giants still have ownership that is actually trying to win, the 49ers don't. Period.
Here's another perspective. What about both? Or how about include the Warriors as well. Each generation will migrate to the sport that wins a championship. I remember growing up in SF during the 70s and it was the Niners AND the Giants. Both I believe went to the championship game in 71, right?

What about the 80s? That's where this city took off supporting more football than baseball until 87 when the Giants went to the NCLS and of course 89. But, the loss and pain in 89 was alleviated by our SuperBowl win. Still, it seemed there was more attention to football with two HOF QBs and a HOF HC through the 90s as well.

Then, things changed with our 49ers having losing seasons and the Giants getting to the playoffs more often.

Now, we won the WS for the first time in SF history while our 49ers are the laughingstock of the NFL. Hmmmm, just makes sense to gravitate towards a champion no matter what sport it is.

WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE BOTH, a football and baseball town!

Can't we just get along...
It is a baseball town now. This was a football town under Eddie D. The Yorks have totally screwed that over.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Here's another perspective. What about both? Or how about include the Warriors as well. Each generation will migrate to the sport that wins a championship. I remember growing up in SF during the 70s and it was the Niners AND the Giants. Both I believe went to the championship game in 71, right?

What about the 80s? That's where this city took off supporting more football than baseball until 87 when the Giants went to the NCLS and of course 89. But, the loss and pain in 89 was alleviated by our SuperBowl win. Still, it seemed there was more attention to football with two HOF QBs and a HOF HC through the 90s as well.

Then, things changed with our 49ers having losing seasons and the Giants getting to the playoffs more often.

Now, we won the WS for the first time in SF history while our 49ers are the laughingstock of the NFL. Hmmmm, just makes sense to gravitate towards a champion no matter what sport it is.

WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE BOTH, a football and baseball town!

Can't we just get along...

It's a hell of a sports town thats for true
it always depends on who's winning, and the importance of the most recent games being played.
With one of the best parks in the MLB and 2 world series appearances in the last decade, I'd agree that this is a top 7 baseball town
SF fans are fickle, they'll support whatever's the current trend
1.5million at the parade. Yup, baseball town it is.
Even more reason to move to LA!
Originally posted by area49:

OMG. Dude, you just love to troll. You scower the boards for anything you can use in your pathetic argument, and then you post the same thing that you know has pissed people off before. This is just another reason NOT to move to LA. You see the Giants turnout for the parade? Now think of if the 49ers won the superbowl. YOu'd see that many people or more because football is a more popular sport. It proves that the problem is with the team and not the city, because NorCal fans support their teams VERY well and you can build a winner here. Giants are doing a hell of a lot better than that team in LA right now. Just because you're in LA doesn't make you good, just look at the Dodgers. Sure they're decent but they had the big money manager in Torre, the star player in Banny Ramirez+the big hitting line up, and they still haven't won s**t lately compared to the Giants.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

There are always bandwagon fans everywhere.

But I don't think you can just say san francisco. There are fans from all over the bay area from san jose to daly city to sacramento that really love the giants.
Originally posted by teeohh:

But I don't think you can just say san francisco. There are fans from all over the bay area from san jose to daly city to sacramento that really love the giants.

Yup people in northern cal loves the giants. Silky if you want to talk about bandwagon fans look at the phillies fan those douches don't go to the games when they have a losing team in early 2000's. And they also turn their players in to a villain whenever they don't perform or not good enough anymore.
[ Edited by nothing03 on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:27 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:

I think the way San Fran has supported 49ers, Giants and Warriors - it's pretty silly to say that SF/Bay Area fans are fickle.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by area49:

OMG. Dude, you just love to troll. You scower the boards for anything you can use in your pathetic argument, and then you post the same thing that you know has pissed people off before. This is just another reason NOT to move to LA. You see the Giants turnout for the parade? Now think of if the 49ers won the superbowl. YOu'd see that many people or more because football is a more popular sport. It proves that the problem is with the team and not the city, because NorCal fans support their teams VERY well and you can build a winner here. Giants are doing a hell of a lot better than that team in LA right now. Just because you're in LA doesn't make you good, just look at the Dodgers. Sure they're decent but they had the big money manager in Torre, the star player in Banny Ramirez+the big hitting line up, and they still haven't won s**t lately compared to the Giants.

If you can't rid yourself of this irrational obsession that the 49ers can't be the Los Angeles 49ers, can you at least learn how to spell "scour" correctly?