LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Chicago Bulls 2010-2011 Thread

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I wouldn't be surprised if JR Smith ends up as a Bull before the trade deadline. Looks like Melo's gone, and Denver's pretty much done with Smith. The Bulls are looking for a legit 2 guard and some outside shooting. It seems to make sense.

JR Smith is definitely intriguing, funny thing is that he was here before (part of the Tyson Chandler trade to Charlotte/New Orleans) and was never used. That was under Skiles so I guess it was an obviouse misfit. I do think that Thibideau can make it work with JR though, I'm just curious what it would take to bring him here. JR Smith or Keith Bogans? I'll take JR, Brewer can provide whatever defense Bogans had off the bench.

He would be a great addition if he had a brain and was aware that you can play team basketball in the NBA. Although Bogans is a starter, he is only playing about 10-15 minutes a game. I would rather see the Bulls stick with this lineup and eventually replace Bogans with Brewer in the starting lineup. I don't see the Bulls going after JR unless they get a Pau Gasol type deal.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
I wouldn't be surprised if JR Smith ends up as a Bull before the trade deadline. Looks like Melo's gone, and Denver's pretty much done with Smith. The Bulls are looking for a legit 2 guard and some outside shooting. It seems to make sense.

JR Smith is definitely intriguing, funny thing is that he was here before (part of the Tyson Chandler trade to Charlotte/New Orleans) and was never used. That was under Skiles so I guess it was an obviouse misfit. I do think that Thibideau can make it work with JR though, I'm just curious what it would take to bring him here. JR Smith or Keith Bogans? I'll take JR, Brewer can provide whatever defense Bogans had off the bench.

He would be a great addition if he had a brain and was aware that you can play team basketball in the NBA. Although Bogans is a starter, he is only playing about 10-15 minutes a game. I would rather see the Bulls stick with this lineup and eventually replace Bogans with Brewer in the starting lineup. I don't see the Bulls going after JR unless they get a Pau Gasol type deal.

What is a "Pau Gasol type deal"?

Smith's in the last year of his contract and Denver's into luxury tax territory. The Bulls wouldn't have to offer much. They might need to get a third team involved to make the salaries match though.

As it stands now, Chicago's lack of outside shooting will be their downfall in the playoffs.

Smith's in the last year of his contract and Denver's into luxury tax territory. The Bulls wouldn't have to offer much. They might need to get a third team involved to make the salaries match though.

As it stands now, Chicago's lack of outside shooting will be their downfall in the playoffs.

Our outside shooting is actually not that bad. Rose has really improved his three ball and so has Deng. Bogans has kinda been like a Bruce Bowen for us but maybe not as consistent with his shot. Also, we got Korver off the bench..JR would definitely improve our outside shooting over Bogans though. JR Smith isn't really something I'm jumpin up and down for, but if it were to happen I definitely wouldn't have a problem with it.

Our outside shooting is actually not that bad. Rose has really improved his three ball and so has Deng. Bogans has kinda been like a Bruce Bowen for us but maybe not as consistent with his shot. Also, we got Korver off the bench..JR would definitely improve our outside shooting over Bogans though. JR Smith isn't really something I'm jumpin up and down for, but if it were to happen I definitely wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm not a fan of Smith's at all, I was just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in Chicago.

I think the Bulls' outside shooting deficiencies are going to be much more prominent in the playoffs than during the regular season.

I'm not a fan of Smith's at all, I was just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in Chicago.

I think the Bulls' outside shooting deficiencies are going to be much more prominent in the playoffs than during the regular season.

Yeah I know what you're sayin, I've heard rumors about JR comin to the Bulls. The Bulls can definitely use a scoring upgrade at SG, I just can't think of anyone available right now..
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

Pau Gasol was handed to the Lakers for next to nothing. The Bulls can't give anything away right now with Noah going down for two months. James Johnson and Brian Scalabrine are the only expendable players for the next two months and neither has any value.

How exactly is Chicago lacking in shooting? Deng, Korver, and Rose are all shooting 41% on threes and all three have good jumpshots. This team is solid, it still needs more, but it can compete with anyone in the playoffs as long as Derrick Rose is healthy.

Pau Gasol was handed to the Lakers for next to nothing. The Bulls can't give anything away right now with Noah going down for two months. James Johnson and Brian Scalabrine are the only expendable players for the next two months and neither has any value.

How exactly is Chicago lacking in shooting? Deng, Korver, and Rose are all shooting 41% on threes and all three have good jumpshots. This team is solid, it still needs more, but it can compete with anyone in the playoffs as long as Derrick Rose is healthy.

LOL. Pau Gasol was a cap space deal, just as is the case with many other deals. Baron Davis & Vince Carter, when they were in their prime, immediately come to mind.

-Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol, Javaris Crittenton, Kwame Brown (the largest expiring contract in the league at the time), & 2 1st Round picks.

-Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton, Dale Davis (expiring contract)

-Vince Carter for Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, 2 1st Round picks, and Alonzo Mourning, who was immediately bought out.

Hell, just this past offseason, the Bulls traded Kirk Hinrich AND the 17th pick in the draft for the draft rights to Vladimir Veremeenko. Explain that one. Cap space deals happen all the time. The "Gasol got traded for nothing" argument has been absurd since day 1. The Grizzlies even got a highly regarded young player (Marc Gasol) in return, which is more than can be said about the other deals here.

The only reason people b***h about this is because it involved the Lakers.

As for the Bulls' outside shooting. those are the only 3 guys that are shooting it well, and it's highly questionable that two of them will continue to do so.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

LOL. Pau Gasol was a cap space deal, just as is the case with many other deals. Baron Davis & Vince Carter, when they were in their prime, immediately come to mind.

-Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol, Javaris Crittenton, Kwame Brown (the largest expiring contract in the league at the time), & 2 1st Round picks.

-Vince Carter for Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, 2 1st Round picks, and Alonzo Mourning, who was immediately bought out.

Hell, just this past offseason, the Bulls traded Kirk Hinrich AND the 17th pick in the draft for the draft rights to Vladimir Veremeenko. Explain that one. Cap space deals happen all the time. The "Gasol got traded for nothing" argument has been absurd since day 1. The Grizzlies even got a highly regarded young player (Marc Gasol) in return, which is more than can be said about the other deals here.

As for the Bulls' outside shooting. those are the only 3 guys that are shooting it well, and it's highly questionable that two of them will continue to do so.

These bulls**t deals are what make the NBA what it is. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor. The NBA is all about money and not about talent.

Apparently you haven't watched many Bulls games. Derrick Rose has become one of the best all around players in the NBA. His shooting is not going to disappear anytime soon.

Deng's shooting may slip a little bit but he is someone who can consistently knock down an open three. He sees plenty of those and will continue to see them as long as Derrick Rose is playing.
These bulls**t deals are what make the NBA what it is. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor. The NBA is all about money and not about talent.

Apparently you haven't watched many Bulls games. Derrick Rose has become one of the best all around players in the NBA. His shooting is not going to disappear anytime soon.

Deng's shooting may slip a little bit but he is someone who can consistently knock down an open three. He sees plenty of those and will continue to see them as long as Derrick Rose is playing.

No, those "bulls**t deals" are made because NBA GMs can see more than one step in front of them. You think the Bulls traded Kirk Hinrich AND a 1st Round pick for some no-name 2nd rounder to save money? No. It freed up cap space so the Bulls were not only able to sign Boozer, but also Brewer, Korver, and Bogans. You think Miami traded Beasley for 2nd rounders to save money? No, it was to sign the Wade, LeBron, & Bosh.

I've seen a good 8-10 Bulls games this season. Rose has become one of the best players in the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be shooting at this clip the entire season. Same with Deng. And again, they're the only 3 on the team that are currently shooting well, which is an issue that's compounded by teams sagging off of Noah & Gibson as well. They'll do the same to Asik.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

No, those "bulls**t deals" are made because NBA GMs can see more than one step in front of them. You think the Bulls traded Kirk Hinrich AND a 1st Round pick for some no-name 2nd rounder to save money? No. It freed up cap space so the Bulls were not only able to sign Boozer, but also Brewer, Korver, and Bogans. You think Miami traded Beasley for 2nd rounders to save money? No, it was to sign the Wade, LeBron, & Bosh.

I've seen a good 8-10 Bulls games this season. Rose has become one of the best players in the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be shooting at this clip the entire season. Same with Deng. And again, they're the only 3 on the team that are currently shooting well, which is an issue that's compounded by teams sagging off of Noah & Gibson as well. They'll do the same to Asik.

I'm not going to argue with you over the NBA system. It's flawed and a giant reason why the NBA will never be as popular as the NFL unless Roger Goodell continues s**tting on the values of football. The good teams stay at the top and the bad teams stay at the bottom. That's how it is and most people are not into watching their team lose every year.

Onto the Bulls shooters, all three of those players have good mechanics. They don't shoot like Brewer or Bogans. I can see someone with a goofy shooting technique slipping but all three of those players have quality shots. They have a good coach who will get them open shots and they will continue to make them. The Bulls don't need a selfish inconsistent player on their team just because he can get hot on occasion. I would be all for it if Thibodeau could control him but JR would be more of a cancer than an answer.

I'm not going to argue with you over the NBA system. It's flawed and a giant reason why the NBA will never be as popular as the NFL unless Roger Goodell continues s**tting on the values of football. The good teams stay at the top and the bad teams stay at the bottom. That's how it is and most people are not into watching their team lose every year.

Of course you're not going to argue, because you're wrong and I've made points that you can't counter, so you need to change the topic. And I'm sorry to break it to you, but the NBA is much more popular than the NFL. It's a big world out there. I'm not exactly sure what the "values of football" are either.

Quote:
Onto the Bulls shooters, all three of those players have good mechanics. They don't shoot like Brewer or Bogans. I can see someone with a goofy shooting technique slipping but all three of those players have quality shots. They have a good coach who will get them open shots and they will continue to make them. The Bulls don't need a selfish inconsistent player on their team just because he can get hot on occasion. I would be all for it if Thibodeau could control him but JR would be more of a cancer than an answer.

Korver has great mechanics. Rose's success from 3 can be attributed to him being ridiculously open, as he has been for his entire career, but teams will start game-planning for that soon enough. Deng's a consistent 18-20 foot shooter, but from 3 point land he won't be able to maintain his current pace when teams are focusing on closing out on shooters the way that they do in the playoffs.

Never said that Smith was the answer, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a Bull. I don't like Smith as a player.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Of course you're not going to argue, because you're wrong and I've made points that you can't counter, so you need to change the topic. And I'm sorry to break it to you, but the NBA is much more popular than the NFL. It's a big world out there. I'm not exactly sure what the "values of football" are either.

1. The NBA is not as popular as the NFL in the United States.

2. Football is no longer football. It is some new made up sport where you have to tackle players without actually hitting them because that's illegal. Toughness is not necessary to play in the NFL, the NFL is becoming Paul Pierce.

3. All I said is the Bulls would need JR handed to them like Pau was handed to the Lakers. Instead of arguing that you just LOL'd to show your superior intelligence then continued on about how it was a salary cap move(never denying he was handed over for nothing). I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings when someone mentions how Kobe had two more rings handed to him by Memphis. My point was the Bulls needed a gift to get JR. Because I used Pau as my example, your feelings were hurt and I apologize. Next time I'll remember to use Kirk Heinrich as my example so you don't get your panties in a bunch.

Korver has great mechanics. Rose's success from 3 can be attributed to him being ridiculously open, as he has been for his entire career, but teams will start game-planning for that soon enough. Deng's a consistent 18-20 foot shooter, but from 3 point land he won't be able to maintain his current pace when teams are focusing on closing out on shooters the way that they do in the playoffs.

Explain to me how teams are going to guard Rose because there is no way to guard him anymore.
1. The NBA is not as popular as the NFL in the United States.

Sure, but it's a more popular sport.

Quote:
2. Football is no longer football. It is some new made up sport where you have to tackle players without actually hitting them because that's illegal. Toughness is not necessary to play in the NFL, the NFL is becoming Paul Pierce.

Okay.

Quote:
3. All I said is the Bulls would need JR handed to them like Pau was handed to the Lakers. Instead of arguing that you just LOL'd to show your superior intelligence then continued on about how it was a salary cap move(never denying he was handed over for nothing). I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings when someone mentions how Kobe had two more rings handed to him by Memphis. My point was the Bulls needed a gift to get JR. Because I used Pau as my example, your feelings were hurt and I apologize. Next time I'll remember to use Kirk Heinrich as my example so you don't get your panties in a bunch.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was denying that Gasol was handed to the Lakers for nothing. He was traded for the largest expiring contract in the league (which has value to the team that has him), the reigning Euroleague MVP and now one of the Top 10 centers in the game, and 2 1st Round draft picks.

My feelings aren't hurt. I'm just sick of hearing the same incorrect and short-sighted argument over and over again.

Explain to me how teams are going to guard Rose because there is no way to guard him anymore.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. Rose is going to get his either way, but he's not going to be left as wide open behind the line going forward as he is now, and especially not in the playoffs. The spot up shots are going to be a lot more contested, and that's where he's making most of his 3's. He's 18-34 as a spot up 3 point shooter this year, but 7-20 in isolation and 8-25 as the pick and roll ball handler.

He won't be connecting at the same pace on spot ups once people start closing out on him.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I thought it was pretty clear that I was denying that Gasol was handed to the Lakers for nothing. He was traded for the largest expiring contract in the league (which has value to the team that has him), the reigning Euroleague MVP and now one of the Top 10 centers in the game, and 2 1st Round draft picks.

My feelings aren't hurt. I'm just sick of hearing the same incorrect and short-sighted argument over and over again.

OK you got me, the Grizzlies got a great deal in that trade. Pau Gasol was definately worth the s**t sandwich the Lakers sent them. Can we go back to talking about the Bulls in this thread? You know this is the Chicago Bulls 2010-2011 Thread, not the General NBA thread or the team that had back to back championships handed to them and all they had to give in return was a s**t sandwich thread.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Rose is going to get his either way, but he's not going to be left as wide open behind the line going forward as he is now, and especially not in the playoffs. The spot up shots are going to be a lot more contested, and that's where he's making most of his 3's. He's 18-34 as a spot up 3 point shooter this year, but 7-20 in isolation and 8-25 as the pick and roll ball handler.

He won't be connecting at the same pace on spot ups once people start closing out on him.

Derrick Rose is 40-97 on threes this year, not 33-79? If your stats are from before the Lakers game, he has shot 19 threes since then so he would be at 98 attempts according to your numbers. He also would have 44 made threes on the year since he is 11-19 in his past four games.

Deng and consistent will never be used in the same sentence... The bulls need a go to scorer who can consistently score from the outside to not make Rose take a billion shots he can't makes. That's where a melo or JR Smith. With Noah out they have np chance of trading for melo so JR smith they have to get.
Share 49ersWebzone