There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2010-2011 San Antonio Spurs thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by dobo:
lol someone captured the ESPN headline

That's f**kin' awesome.

You're talking about a network that televised LeBron's "Decision", and has an entire section of their website dedicated to Miami. This doesn't surprise me.

yep as stoney said in the NBA thread, the defending 2x nba champs played the team with the best record in the NBA today, and the first 10 minutes of sportscenter is why do the heat suck?
I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but it seems like pretty much every time you kick the crap out of a good team the way that SA did against MIA the other day, you end up losing against the next good team you play. Just one of those games.
I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but it seems like pretty much every time you kick the crap out of a good team the way that SA did against MIA the other day, you end up losing against the next good team you play. Just one of those games.

I think your defense had a lot more to do with this one. Parker and Manu rarely get their shots blocked and Bynum got em both early: it changed things. Parker was able to do what he wanted because the Lakers are OK if he wants to dribble into Pau or Bynum. Tim Duncan hasn't shown an extensive post up game and he probably can't anymore.

I don't know why they didn't start Duncan and McDyess with Splitter and Blaire off the bench. Blaire and Duncan vs Bynum and Gasol is not good.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think your defense had a lot more to do with this one. Parker and Manu rarely get their shots blocked and Bynum got em both early: it changed things. Parker was able to do what he wanted because the Lakers are OK if he wants to dribble into Pau or Bynum. Tim Duncan hasn't shown an extensive post up game and he probably can't anymore.

I don't know why they didn't start Duncan and McDyess with Splitter and Blaire off the bench. Blaire and Duncan vs Bynum and Gasol is not good.

Yeah, our D was great (and has been since the All Star Break), but the Spurs didn't show up either. That just seems to be how things go when a good team blows out another good team...they're not sharp the next game.

And yeah...Bynum's been making it very difficult for people to score on the Lakers.

Yeah, our D was great (and has been since the All Star Break), but the Spurs didn't show up either. That just seems to be how things go when a good team blows out another good team...they're not sharp the next game.

And yeah...Bynum's been making it very difficult for people to score on the Lakers.

It reminds me of when Spurs had Robinson and Duncan healthy. We ran everyone off of the 3-pointer and sent them straight to the big men. It was too easy unless we were facing Shaq.

It reminds me of when Spurs had Robinson and Duncan healthy. We ran everyone off of the 3-pointer and sent them straight to the big men. It was too easy unless we were facing Shaq.

Yeah, that's a good comparison, and good observation about running teams off of the three point line. The Laker perimeter players actually go so far as to let perimeter players get by them off of the dribble by design...but make sure that the opponent goes the way that they want them to go, and they stay attached to their hip while either Bynum or Gasol (usually the former) rotate over to challenge the shot. The Spurs used to do the same thing.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM ]

Yeah, that's a good comparison, and good observation about running teams off of the three point line. The Laker perimeter players actually go so far as to let perimeter players get by them off of the dribble by design...but make sure that the opponent goes the way that they want them to go, and they stay attached to their hip while either Bynum or Gasol (usually the former) rotate over to challenge the shot. The Spurs used to do the same thing.

And you get to jump the gaps a little more.

I hate the Lakers. We will meet again.

It seemed as though Pop wasn't trying to do too much once we began missing our open looks.
And you get to jump the gaps a little more.

I hate the Lakers. We will meet again.

It seemed as though Pop wasn't trying to do too much once we began missing our open looks.

Pop's always been pretty quick to say, "it ain't our night" and bench Duncan, Manu, TP, etc. I may have cost the Spurs a handful of comebacks over the years, but it also probably contributes to the fact that they're still relevant. The unnecessary mileage he puts on his guys is very, very minimal. Probably less than any other coach in the league.
Playoff spot clinched.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Playoff spot clinched.

We need home court throughout to even have a chance as we have never been to the Finals without homecourt.

Tim Duncan needs to see what he's got left and begin to work on fine-tuning his post game. This is what I have been worried about all year. Getting Tim into the mix means we change the way we have been playing and that may not work well.
I don't feel good about tonight's game. The Spurs are far from playing at a high level like earlier this year.

It almost seems as though they are too accustomed to that small ball game and get very stagnant when Duncan is in the game for longer periods of time which usually happens against the taller teams and it's gotten their entire offense out of sync now.
f**k.
The blueprint to beat this team is out their and teams are beginning to use it. Running them off the 3-pointer messing the entire offense up as most of those shooters are not effective at taking advantage of the driving lane. Manu is probably the only one who will drive in strong after being run-off the 3-point line.

RJ hasn't been doing much lately either.

[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 15, 2011 at 09:00:21 ]
The bold is funny, worrisome, but funny.

"Shaun Powell: Have to give the nod here to the Spurs, because of their depth, and that’s no disrespect to Manu Ginobili. You just figure Tim Duncan, after awakening from his regular season hibernation, would make up a point or two rather quickly."

Which team would best weather losing their leading scorer..
Big game tonight.