There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2010-2011 San Antonio Spurs thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Early in the season, I was very skeptical when the Spurs were winning by double digits. They have shown for about a couple of months now that they can win the close games also.

They proved they can be a contender a few months ago but this team is a playoff series test away from being considered in possible champion talks.

Right now, I don't think anyone considers them to be able to win the title.

I can't think of a team with their kind of record that's been as wholly discounted as this Spurs team has been. Blows my mind. They deserve a lot more respect than they're getting, IMO.

I think it's because the Back Court is their strength, but Duncan is surprisingly still doing it on the defensive end. Blaire has extremely quick hands and a very quick shot from almost flat-footed. McDyss is still consistent on his jumper and aggressive in the paint.

I am still skeptical about a team that relies on it's backcourt to produce. The good thing is that they are deep in that area and their top 2 backups could start for teams.

I think that this is the most justifiable criticism of the team, but...

1) I'm not convinced that Duncan won't be a more dynamic post presence in the playoffs on the offensive end.

2) The only teams in their league when it comes to ball movement are the Celtics & Lakers (when they care).

3) They're good to very good at every position.

If Duncan can recapture some of his old post up magic in the playoffs, this is going to be a tough team to beat.
Parker's out 2-4 weeks. Hope he gets well soon.
Early in the season, I was very skeptical when the Spurs were winning by double digits. They have shown for about a couple of months now that they can win the close games also.

They proved they can be a contender a few months ago but this team is a playoff series test away from being considered in possible champion talks.

Right now, I don't think anyone considers them to be able to win the title.

I can't think of a team with their kind of record that's been as wholly discounted as this Spurs team has been. Blows my mind. They deserve a lot more respect than they're getting, IMO.

I think it's because the Back Court is their strength, but Duncan is surprisingly still doing it on the defensive end. Blaire has extremely quick hands and a very quick shot from almost flat-footed. McDyss is still consistent on his jumper and aggressive in the paint.

I am still skeptical about a team that relies on it's backcourt to produce. The good thing is that they are deep in that area and their top 2 backups could start for teams.

I think that this is the most justifiable criticism of the team, but...

1) I'm not convinced that Duncan won't be a more dynamic post presence in the playoffs on the offensive end.

2) The only teams in their league when it comes to ball movement are the Celtics & Lakers (when they care).

3) They're good to very good at every position.

If Duncan can recapture some of his old post up magic in the playoffs, this is going to be a tough team to beat.

I think Duncan will come through. He's in the best shape he's been in a long time and he made an impact last year while hobbling around on a bum knee. My main concern is his post game. In the past few years, it has down graded to a running semi hook shot and he rarely uses other moves he did when he was younger. His top of the key jumper has overtaken his patented "bank" shot, a favorite shot which has been very inconsistent for him.

But he's still a top big man in the league. Don't forget the highly underrated impact McDyess and Blaire give to the front court combined with those PG's is the real reason why they are the #1 seed and not the #6-8 seed as predicted prior to the season.
s**t! TP being hurt last year hit us hard and he came back a little soft. His ass better be doing pull-ups or something during these two weeks.

Panick? Yes! Mavs and Lakers have a very good chance to close the gap for home court.
12 consecutive 50-win seasons. It's really more like 14 consecutive 50-win seasons since the lockout-shortened 98-99 season broke the chain.

Going back to 89-90:
- The Spurs have had eighteen 50-win seasons.

- They have also have two seasons of almost-50-wins (47 and 49 wins).

- They have had only one losing season. That was also the only season they missed the playoffs.

Thank you David Robinson and Tim Duncan.
Originally posted by dobo:
12 consecutive 50-win seasons. It's really more like 14 consecutive 50-win seasons since the lockout-shortened 98-99 season broke the chain.

Going back to 89-90:

- They have had only one losing season. That was also the only season they missed the playoffs.

Why I became a Spurs fan. that was when I was also collecting basketball cards. David Robinson has had the biggest impact one player can have on a sports team I have ever seen. His personality made what the Spurs are now even after he left. Even Jordan could not ingrain that in CHI. I know it's a combination of the head coach and ownership but I have never seen a bigger impact one player has had on his teammates even after he retired. The guy is so humble committed that he still cheers the team on from the crowd.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM ]

Going back to 89-90:

Why I became a Spurs fan. that was when I was also collecting basketball cards. David Robinson has had the biggest impact one player can have on a sports team I have ever seen. His personality made what the Spurs are now even after he left. Even Jordan could not ingrain that in CHI. I know it's a combination of the head coach and ownership but I have never seen a bigger impact one player has had on his teammates even after he retired. The guy is so humble committed that he still cheers the team on from the crowd.

Going back to 89-90:

For me I can't decide if I like Duncan or the Admiral more. Nonetheless, Robinson is perhaps the classiest guy to ever wear an NBA jersey.
Originally posted by Byisgod:

Going back to 89-90:

For me I can't decide if I like Duncan or the Admiral more. Nonetheless, Robinson is perhaps the classiest guy to ever wear an NBA jersey.

How awesome would it be if Duncan is sitting next to Robinson with season tickets supporting the team and doing their best to continue the "Spurs way".

Of course, all it takes is one greedy egotistical talented player to ruin things if we end up relying on a player like that too heavy.
If you project out the lockout season to a full 82 games ... then Tim Duncan has never played for a sub-50 wins team.

Discuss.
If you project out the lockout season to a full 82 games ... then Tim Duncan has never played for a sub-50 wins team.

Discuss.

Tim Duncan is a bad MFer, end of story.

But I was thinking about this the other day. I think Duncan's the least scrutinized sports star in my lifetime. I think about the truly, truly great athletes that I've seen, and every single one of them had their fair share of criticism...except Duncan. It's pretty amazing.

Discuss.

But I was thinking about this the other day. I think Duncan's the least scrutinized sports star in my lifetime. I think about the truly, truly great athletes that I've seen, and every single one of them had their fair share of criticism...except Duncan. It's pretty amazing.

It's good to stay low and out of trouble. Personally, I think Spurs fans incorrectly think Duncan is under appreciated by other fans. He is not under appreciated because anyone and their momma will put him first on a list of front court players but not everyone will talk about him unless mentioned.

Discuss.

It's good to stay low and out of trouble. Personally, I think Spurs fans incorrectly think Duncan is under appreciated by other fans. He is not under appreciated because anyone and their momma will put him first on a list of front court players but not everyone will talk about him unless mentioned.

Yeah, he's definitely appreciated by other fans.

I was just thinking that there's such a contrast between the scrutiny that Kobe's received throughout his career and what Duncan has. Is it really just because Duncan has always "stayed low"? There just seems to be such an antagonistic view of Kobe (and LeBron for that matter) when compared with Duncan.

Hypothetical scenario...let's say the Lakers make it to the Finals this year and lose. I know Kobe will get killed by fans and media if that happens, but that'll be their 4th consecutive Finals run with a repeat in the middle of it. I think Duncan would be roundly praised for doing that.

I'm not trying to start a Kobe vs. Duncan argument regarding their legacies or resumes, I merely bring him up to illustrate the sharp contrast in expectation that each player carries. It's just crazy to me how impervious to criticism Duncan is compared to pretty much every other athlete.

Discuss.

I was just thinking that there's such a contrast between the scrutiny that Kobe's received throughout his career and what Duncan has. Is it really just because Duncan has always "stayed low"? There just seems to be such an antagonistic view of Kobe (and LeBron for that matter) when compared with Duncan.

Hypothetical scenario...let's say the Lakers make it to the Finals this year and lose. I know Kobe will get killed by fans and media if that happens, but that'll be their 4th consecutive Finals run with a repeat in the middle of it. I think Duncan would be roundly praised for doing that.

I'm not trying to start a Kobe vs. Duncan argument regarding their legacies or resumes, I merely bring him up to illustrate the sharp contrast in expectation that each player carries. It's just crazy to me how impervious to criticism Duncan is compared to pretty much every other athlete.

I think it's more of that Kobe and Lebron have a "Hey look at me" image with commercials and all that other stuff whereas Duncan has a "Tim Duncan, who's that? Not me." image that he portrays.

The more people want to be looked at, the more they will get scrutinized when they aren't the image they were trying to portray.

Discuss.

I think it's more of that Kobe and Lebron have a "Hey look at me" image with commercials and all that other stuff whereas Duncan has a "Tim Duncan, who's that? Not me." image that he portrays.

The more people want to be looked at, the more they will get scrutinized when they aren't the image they were trying to portray.

Kobe's bigman-dependent and a rapist.

/hypothetical