There are 206 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***General NBA Discussion Thread***

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Gotta share this with you guys...

So my job at that High School was to be the JV coach, who doubles as the varsity coach's assistant. In fact, 95% of the job has been making sure that the varsity coach's wishes are being carried out. There hasn't been too much in the way of autonomy.

Well, as grateful as I am that he gave me the opportunity to coach, this guy has no idea what he's doing. We've been trying to implement Duke's defensive scheme, John Wooden's fast break offense from the early 60's (it's complicated considering it only gets you to half court), and you wanna know what our half court set has been?....the freaking triangle offense. The triangle! To High School kids with the most basic understanding of basketball! His POV is that he wants to copy those who he's felt have been the most successful coaches, but without any degree of analysis as to why things worked for them. And he doesn't know any of those systems fluently at all. Needless to say, it's been a REAL struggle to even get our first fast break play mastered. It's been like trying to teach calculus to someone who doesn't know how to divide yet.

He's just as bad with his understanding of fundamentals. He gives really poor and incorrect advise, and have had to bite my tongue in front of the kids, teach things his way, and then argue with him behind closed doors. He's a nice guy, but knows very, very little about the game. The girl's coach, AD, and assistant AD (former college & HS b-ball coach) have all expressed the same concerns. I've never expressed my concerns to them, because my job's been to support him in public (and disagree with private).

Anyhow, due to unforeseen circumstances at his job, he resigned his position today. The AD and assistant AD discussed the matter, and offered me the job. 5 months after I quit my job for the purpose of going back to school to become a history teacher and basketball coach, I've had an entire HS basketball program fall right into my lap! Amazing!

thats f**king sick bro

f**k Yeah! That's awesome bro!
Originally posted by AmpLee:

So my job at that High School was to be the JV coach, who doubles as the varsity coach's assistant. In fact, 95% of the job has been making sure that the varsity coach's wishes are being carried out. There hasn't been too much in the way of autonomy.

Well, as grateful as I am that he gave me the opportunity to coach, this guy has no idea what he's doing. We've been trying to implement Duke's defensive scheme, John Wooden's fast break offense from the early 60's (it's complicated considering it only gets you to half court), and you wanna know what our half court set has been?....the freaking triangle offense. The triangle! To High School kids with the most basic understanding of basketball! His POV is that he wants to copy those who he's felt have been the most successful coaches, but without any degree of analysis as to why things worked for them. And he doesn't know any of those systems fluently at all. Needless to say, it's been a REAL struggle to even get our first fast break play mastered. It's been like trying to teach calculus to someone who doesn't know how to divide yet.

He's just as bad with his understanding of fundamentals. He gives really poor and incorrect advise, and have had to bite my tongue in front of the kids, teach things his way, and then argue with him behind closed doors. He's a nice guy, but knows very, very little about the game. The girl's coach, AD, and assistant AD (former college & HS b-ball coach) have all expressed the same concerns. I've never expressed my concerns to them, because my job's been to support him in public (and disagree with private).

Anyhow, due to unforeseen circumstances at his job, he resigned his position today. The AD and assistant AD discussed the matter, and offered me the job. 5 months after I quit my job for the purpose of going back to school to become a history teacher and basketball coach, I've had an entire HS basketball program fall right into my lap! Amazing!

thats f**king sick bro

f**k Yeah! That's awesome bro!

Way to go Pete!

I know you know the x's and o's of bball.

Mindblowing stuff.
so can we have basketball after the football season so I don't have to see any dumb highlights

thats f**king sick bro

So when am I getting hired on as the dunking coach?

• crzy
  • Veteran

Sick man. Now you gotta work your way up to the Lakers lol.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Congrats Pete. You'll do an awesome job.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Congrats Pete.

*adds kevlar vest to shopping cart on Amazon*

Christmas shopping for LA is done.
Thanks for the congrats, guys.

Otter, I'll respond to your post a couple of pages back when I have a little more time. Lots of b-ball responsibilities just fell into my lap.
So... dunking coach?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
So... dunking coach?

Sorry, I'm in talks with Shawn Bradley for the position. I believe he possesses a dual functionality in this capacity that you don't. Sorry, Sixth.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
So... dunking coach?

Sorry, I'm in talks with Shawn Bradley for the position. I believe he possesses a dual functionality in this capacity that you don't. Sorry, Sixth.

So I can get dunked on, but not dunk... is that it?

Now I'm glad I stole That b*****d's Ridiculously Ginormous bike!
SO FRIKKING AWESOME! Congrats, Pete! I am very happy for you!
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears by WojYahooNBA
Players vs. NBA class-action antitrust lawsuit filed in Oakland set for Feb. 29 2012. Court official says it could be moved to earlier date.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
KCJHoop K.C Johnson

RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Players vs. NBA class-action antitrust lawsuit filed in OAK set for 2/29/12. Court official says could be moved earlier.