There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***General NBA Discussion Thread***

  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 39,284
If Derrick Rose or Lebron James wrote an op-ed piece claiming that the owners were slighting them then I would be entirely in their favor.

Those are guys who legitimately are responsible for the "lucrative" year the NBA had.


Etan Thomas...GTFO
Good point crzy... Guys like Kenny Thomas and Etan Thomas have been a part of the problem for owners. Although, Stern has handled this like an egotistical a hole.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
So the players are basically saying it is not our problem that the owners were too generous on the last CBA and that the owners make plenty of money through TV deals and stuff, enough that they really aren't losing money?

Record breaking revenues last year and the year before, and yet the owners still want the players to make massive cutbacks. Ridiculous.

I hope the players win the triple damages on this. The league didn't negotiate in good faith whatsoever.

im not on the owners side, i feel they didnt negotiate in good faith. with that being said la only 8 franchises turned profits last year, the rest of the owners lost money.
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
So the players are basically saying it is not our problem that the owners were too generous on the last CBA and that the owners make plenty of money through TV deals and stuff, enough that they really aren't losing money?

Record breaking revenues last year and the year before, and yet the owners still want the players to make massive cutbacks. Ridiculous.

I hope the players win the triple damages on this. The league didn't negotiate in good faith whatsoever.

im not on the owners side, i feel they didnt negotiate in good faith. with that being said la only 8 franchises turned profits last year, the rest of the owners lost money.

If you believe that only 8 teams made a profit last year, I gotta bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

They made $3.817 billion in revenue last year. An NBA record by more than $200M. If you can explain to me how they're losing money off of that, I'm all ears.
What is the NBA?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
So the players are basically saying it is not our problem that the owners were too generous on the last CBA and that the owners make plenty of money through TV deals and stuff, enough that they really aren't losing money?

Record breaking revenues last year and the year before, and yet the owners still want the players to make massive cutbacks. Ridiculous.

I hope the players win the triple damages on this. The league didn't negotiate in good faith whatsoever.

im not on the owners side, i feel they didnt negotiate in good faith. with that being said la only 8 franchises turned profits last year, the rest of the owners lost money.

If you believe that only 8 teams made a profit last year, I gotta bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

They made $3.817 billion in revenue last year. An NBA record by more than $200M. If you can explain to me how they're losing money off of that, I'm all ears.

u see some of those arenas man? u think the twolves turned a profit? they couldnt give away tickets. im a net fan, i been 2 games that were embarrassing the amount of fans there(although prokerov could care less about making money). u probably root 4 the lakers so ur used 2 seeing a packed arena but watch a bucks, twolves, nets, bobcats, grizzlies, or hornets home games.
I can live without the NBA
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I can live without the NBA

This.

College basketball is under way
Basketball is a much easier sport for the players to start their own league. Street basketball on TV?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Basketball is a much easier sport for the players to start their own league. Street basketball on TV?

I'm thinking 2 on 2, NBA Jam style.
so what does this actually mean? What the players did today
This is the last time I'll be checking up on anything NBA related. See ya NBA

Go 9ers!
  • Otter
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,936
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
LOL at everyone blaming the players.

You seem firmly entrenched on the side of the players. Why?

I'm at best a very casual basketball fan. Looking at this thing from my perspective, it seems like neither side is really worth supporting.

One of your points is that the NBA had record breaking revenues last year, made $200M more than previous years. That doesn't necessarily translate in to profit. From what I understand, there isn't really revenue sharing in the NBA either, like the NFL. So if that $200M was generated by only the 16 playoff teams, for example, then that still leaves roughly half of the other teams with financials that remained the same or possibly got worse.

Now one thing that shouldn't be overlooked by the people chastising the players is that there is some very strange record keeping in the NBA. The owners have holding companies that own the stadiums and rent them to the team, so this looks like an expense to the team when really it's going back in to the owners pockets. And that treatment of player's salaries that effectively equates them to cattle certainly provides for a hit to profit without taking any cash away from the owners.

I don't see the last offer as an ultimatum either. There certainly seems to be a number of owners that want the season dead so that they can move to a 47% or less cut for the players, but there were also a number that are ready to write checks and get back to games. (See, Mark Cuban isn't such a bad guy) I think that last offer rejected by the players represents Stern pushing on the owners that don't want a season to compromise.

Just some random thoughts, musings, and occasional insight from a novice fan. (I gotta stop reading Don Banks)
I blame both sides; plain and simple. I'll literally laugh my ass off if the NHL takes over the NBA as far as popularity. But real talk, i much rather watch the sharks play than the sacramento kings before teh NBA lock out.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I blame both sides; plain and simple. I'll literally laugh my ass off if the NHL takes over the NBA as far as popularity. But real talk, i much rather watch the sharks play than the sacramento kings before teh NBA lock out.

booooooooooo