LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Would you make this deal if you were the Giants GM?

Would you make this deal if you were the Giants GM?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think heyward is a 40+ homer type guy!

I dont, i think he is more of a 20-30 guy

opo jacks at AT&T park, 6'5 and can still fill into his frame!

Heyward definitely projects as a 40+ HR guy.

I agree but I know Valrod has seen a lot more of him that I have. I am surprised that he doesnt think Heyward projects as a big power guy. I would have to feel strongly that Heyward is absolutley that kind of power hitter to trade Timmy and Posey for Hansen and Heyward. I do think Heyward will be a very special power hitter so my gut tells me that I would make that hypothetical deal.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree but I know Valrod has seen a lot more of him that I have. I am surprised that he doesnt think Heyward projects as a big power guy. I would have to feel strongly that Heyward is absolutley that kind of power hitter to trade Timmy and Posey for Hansen and Heyward. I do think Heyward will be a very special power hitter so my gut tells me that I would make that hypothetical deal.

I just dont see him hitting 40+ HRs. He is a line drive hitter with power but i dont think its 40+plus HR power. I would love to be wrong on this but i see him as 25-30( i know earlier i said 20-30)

I guess i should add that i dont have a very high opinion of Heyward right now since this a*****e has been in a slump and isnt producing all this month.

[ Edited by valrod33 on Jun 16, 2010 at 13:42:33 ]

John..I honestly think that the only reason you would be making these trades is because Timmy and Panda haven't been dominating like last year and you are seriously panicking.

There is no way I trade a 2 time CY winner and a catcher who has a HUGE upside for a good pitcher and a potentially 40 HR type of guy.

If Timmy was straight up dominating this year like he has his past two you would not be saying yes to these trades. Timmy will be fine, every pitcher goes through these phases and as much baseball as you've watched I would think you'd know this. No disrespect either, I just think you're panicking.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

John..I honestly think that the only reason you would be making these trades is because Timmy and Panda haven't been dominating like last year and you are seriously panicking.

There is no way I trade a 2 time CY winner and a catcher who has a HUGE upside for a good pitcher and a potentially 40 HR type of guy.

If Timmy was straight up dominating this year like he has his past two you would not be saying yes to these trades. Timmy will be fine, every pitcher goes through these phases and as much baseball as you've watched I would think you'd know this. No disrespect either, I just think you're panicking.

I wouldn't think john is that short sighted! I personally wouldn't do this trade! I think posey and tim is too much, maybe cain and panda?

Bird, I dont take it as disrespect. People have different opinions and thats fine. I dont think its about panic at all. I DO notice a decline in Timmy's fastball and that is concern though. There have been VERY few pitchers of his build ( Pedro, Oswalt) that have had long and successful careers. So.. if someone threw out a trade where I see a potential 40+ homer guy I'd be crazy not to consider it if I was GM. Tommy Hansen is pretty special too by the way for a 2nd year pitcher but obviously Heyward would be the prize in this hypothetical deal.

Bird, I dont take it as disrespect. People have different opinions and thats fine. I dont think its about panic at all. I DO notice a decline in Timmy's fastball and that is concern though. There have been VERY few pitchers of his build ( Pedro, Oswalt) that have had long and successful careers. So.. if someone threw out a trade where I see a potential 40+ homer guy I'd be crazy not to consider it if I was GM. Tommy Hansen is pretty special too by the way for a 2nd year pitcher but obviously Heyward would be the prize in this hypothetical deal.

Yeah I see what you're saying..I guess I'm just not that high on Hansen.

It's kind of interesting how baseball has changed some. It seems like it is MUCH more difficult to find a great power hitting outfielder these days than it is a top strikeout pitcher. There are a dozen really good sp's in the NL right now but how many top OFs with power are there? 2? 3?

It brings up the ongoing debate.. would you rather have the great SP or the great everday player. Would you rather have Roger Clemens in his prime or Barry Bonds in his prime? I would take the postion player who is great.

It's kind of interesting how baseball has changed some. It seems like it is MUCH more difficult to find a great power hitting outfielder these days than it is a top strikeout pitcher. There are a dozen really good sp's in the NL right now but how many top OFs with power are there? 2? 3?

It brings up the ongoing debate.. would you rather have the great SP or the great everday player. Would you rather have Roger Clemens in his prime or Barry Bonds in his prime? I would take the postion player who is great.

I would normally take the everyday player until I started thinking about it. Bonds doesn't have a ring. ARod just got his. Fielder no. Griffey no. Sosa no. A ton of the greatest hitters of our era don't have world series rings.

But Randy Johnson, Clemens, Schilling, maddux, etc all have rings.

Maybe the elite pitcher is better to have than the elite bat?

Obviously takes both but Florida and Arizona weren't elite hitting teams
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

I would normally take the everyday player until I started thinking about it. Bonds doesn't have a ring. ARod just got his. Fielder no. Griffey no. Sosa no. A ton of the greatest hitters of our era don't have world series rings.

But Randy Johnson, Clemens, Schilling, maddux, etc all have rings.

Maybe the elite pitcher is better to have than the elite bat?

Obviously takes both but Florida and Arizona weren't elite hitting teams

part of that I'm sure is those guys took up such a huge portion of the payroll that the teams couldn't afford quality/elite starting pitching.

Sorry but I think you are the one who has a limited grasp on things.

I'm pretty sure that I only said he was fat and not dedicated to keeping himself in shape. That is actually a fact. Secondly I never said that I didnt like him. I DID say that I would take Ryan Zimmerman over him anyday and I believe virttually every GM would. If you look at the posts in here others agree.

Zimmerman hit over 30 homers and 100 rbis last year and won the Gold Glove. He is on pace to hit 37 homers this year and again drive in over 100 runs. Yet, you seem to think Panda has as much power and would be more coveted than Zimmerman. Umm... ok. I SERIOUSLY doubt that. Now, if Panda WAS in shape and a good defender I might agree with you. However, he isnt.

Then, you compare Harper to Villalona. That is simply a joke. Why? Because of their age? I guess all the major league scouts and people who really understand baseball are completely wrong and you are right. Every single person that I have heard talk about this kid say he is a sure thing to be a very good major league hitter with power. Will he be a superstar? Maybe not. Comparing him to Angel Villalona is a ridiculous and you should know that. Villalona was never even considered the Giants top prospect in the organization let alone the #1 pick in the entire draft.

You say the Giants have "several young potential laden talents on their team, none of which you would deal for unproven talents" Really? Who would those be? Tell me.. which players would you not trade for Stephen Strasburg who is an unproven talent besides Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum? You wouldnt deal Panda for Strasburg?????? You wouldnt trade ANY prospect in our minor league system right now for Harper? REALLY? I know that I would. Bumgarner is the only one who would even be close.

I dont have a problem at all with disagreeing but when you make completely silly comments like these it really does make me wonder about your "grasp" of things.

Again my point is.. which trio has the biggest upside and would be most likely to lead the team to the WS if they all reached their potential. Would there be some risk? OF COURSE! I really only think Harper is an unknown. Strasburg has already shown me enough to know he is the real deal.

you dont seem to be understanding my points.

do you remember how we got Villalona? he was a 16 year old dominican phenom JUST like Harper. he had tremendous upside. we gave him several million just to sign. at the time it was a record. he didnt enter the draft because he was so coveted, he was going to just sign a multi million dollar signing bonus with clubs scouting him. the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, etc all were very interested, but Villalona picked the Giants slightly cheaper offer because his family liked their scout the best.

Harper is EXACTLY the perfect guy to use in comparison. im not comparing them NOW. i have no idea why you would come to that conclusion. it doesnt even make sense. Harper right NOW is what Villalona was considered a few years back. and Villalona never panned out, and is now in danger of his career being over from a prison sentence.

the Giants have coveted young players such as Lincecum, Cain, Sandoval, Sanchez, and Posey. the jury is still out on Bumgarner. but the point is, those first 5 guys listed have tons of potential, have already proved they can hack it at the MAJOR league level, and are all young and have the best and brightest years ahead of them. dealing any of them for prospects who are NOT proven, would be stupid. you sound like an A's fan, babbling about the future and "better" prospects.

youre in love with potential. thats all Strasburg and Harper are. they have ZERO major league credentials. the whole point of being coveted is because you may turn into a major league caliber player. if you have guys who have already proven so, you dont deal them for guys who havent proven so. otherwise youre continually rebuilding, like the A's.

RIGHT NOW, you wouldnt deal the Giants 3 for the Nats 3, because you dont deal something you have for something you might get.

as far as Zim/Sandoval goes, we have to just agree to disagree. Zim is a great player. hes a GG caliber 3B who can hit. Sandoval is a much better PURE hitter, and his power is behind Zim's because hes played several fewer seasons. Zim didnt get his power surge until his 5th season.

i cant stress enough. proven guys >>> unproven guys. the giants have 3 proven guys in that group of 3, the Nats have 1 in theirs. you only trade proven talent for prospective talent if you plan on letting the proven talent walk away.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Jun 17, 2010 at 00:55:02 ]

Originally posted by Niners99:

Sorry but I think you are the one who has a limited grasp on things.

I'm pretty sure that I only said he was fat and not dedicated to keeping himself in shape. That is actually a fact. Secondly I never said that I didnt like him. I DID say that I would take Ryan Zimmerman over him anyday and I believe virttually every GM would. If you look at the posts in here others agree.

Zimmerman hit over 30 homers and 100 rbis last year and won the Gold Glove. He is on pace to hit 37 homers this year and again drive in over 100 runs. Yet, you seem to think Panda has as much power and would be more coveted than Zimmerman. Umm... ok. I SERIOUSLY doubt that. Now, if Panda WAS in shape and a good defender I might agree with you. However, he isnt.

Then, you compare Harper to Villalona. That is simply a joke. Why? Because of their age? I guess all the major league scouts and people who really understand baseball are completely wrong and you are right. Every single person that I have heard talk about this kid say he is a sure thing to be a very good major league hitter with power. Will he be a superstar? Maybe not. Comparing him to Angel Villalona is a ridiculous and you should know that. Villalona was never even considered the Giants top prospect in the organization let alone the #1 pick in the entire draft.

You say the Giants have "several young potential laden talents on their team, none of which you would deal for unproven talents" Really? Who would those be? Tell me.. which players would you not trade for Stephen Strasburg who is an unproven talent besides Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum? You wouldnt deal Panda for Strasburg?????? You wouldnt trade ANY prospect in our minor league system right now for Harper? REALLY? I know that I would. Bumgarner is the only one who would even be close.

I dont have a problem at all with disagreeing but when you make completely silly comments like these it really does make me wonder about your "grasp" of things.

Again my point is.. which trio has the biggest upside and would be most likely to lead the team to the WS if they all reached their potential. Would there be some risk? OF COURSE! I really only think Harper is an unknown. Strasburg has already shown me enough to know he is the real deal.

you dont seem to be understanding my points.

do you remember how we got Villalona? he was a 16 year old dominican phenom JUST like Harper. he had tremendous upside. we gave him several million just to sign. at the time it was a record. he didnt enter the draft because he was so coveted, he was going to just sign a multi million dollar signing bonus with clubs scouting him. the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, etc all were very interested, but Villalona picked the Giants slightly cheaper offer because his family liked their scout the best.

Harper is EXACTLY the perfect guy to use in comparison. im not comparing them NOW. i have no idea why you would come to that conclusion. it doesnt even make sense. Harper right NOW is what Villalona was considered a few years back. and Villalona never panned out, and is now in danger of his career being over from a prison sentence.

the Giants have coveted young players such as Lincecum, Cain, Sandoval, Sanchez, and Posey. the jury is still out on Bumgarner. but the point is, those first 5 guys listed have tons of potential, have already proved they can hack it at the MAJOR league level, and are all young and have the best and brightest years ahead of them. dealing any of them for prospects who are NOT proven, would be stupid. you sound like an A's fan, babbling about the future and "better" prospects.

youre in love with potential. thats all Strasburg and Harper are. they have ZERO major league credentials. the whole point of being coveted is because you may turn into a major league caliber player. if you have guys who have already proven so, you dont deal them for guys who havent proven so. otherwise youre continually rebuilding, like the A's.

RIGHT NOW, you wouldnt deal the Giants 3 for the Nats 3, because you dont deal something you have for something you might get.

as far as Zim/Sandoval goes, we have to just agree to disagree. Zim is a great player. hes a GG caliber 3B who can hit. Sandoval is a much better PURE hitter, and his power is behind Zim's because hes played several fewer seasons. Zim didnt get his power surge until his 5th season.

i cant stress enough. proven guys >>> unproven guys. the giants have 3 proven guys in that group of 3, the Nats have 1 in theirs. you only trade proven talent for prospective talent if you plan on letting the proven talent walk away.

OK.. let me just go one by one on your points:

* Villalona was sought after but was NEVER the prospect that Harper is. To say so is just wrong. He was 16 and playing in the Dominican and thats it. He was not considered the Giants top prospect ever let alone the top prospect in baseball like Harper. The only comparison is that they were young and power hitting prospects.

* You say that Villalona didnt enter the draft because he was so coveted. Um... NO.
International players are NOT part of the MLB first year player draft. I would think
you would know that. Teams often will overpay for international players (like the Giants did for Villalona and Rodriguez) because there isnt a draft and it comes down
to money and not what draft postion they have.

* Villalona's signing bonus was the Giants biggest international signing bonus ever
but not a record for all teams like you suggest:
Wily Mo Pena 1999 OF Yankees 17 Dominican Republic $2.44 million
Joel Guzman 2001 SS Dodgers 16 Dominican Republic $2.255 million
Byung-Hyun Kim 1999 RHP Diamondbacks 20 South Korea $2.25 million
Chin-Hui Tsao 1999 RHP Rockies 18 Taiwan $2.2 million
Angel Villalona 2006 3B Giants 16 Dominican Republic $2.1 million

* Saying that Panda ia a much better pure hitter is Zimmerman is wrong in my opinion. Zimmerman is a 30 homer, 100 rbi guy who is hitting for a higher average than Panda this year. I would rather have him in the middle of my order I know that.

* Let me get this straight... are you saying you wouldnt trade Buster Posey for Strasburg because Posey is proven? LOL Are you really telling me that you wouldnt trade Panda or Sanchez for him? Would love to know the answer to that one because if the answer is YES then you lose any credibility whatsoever.

* Listen to how sily you sound with the comparisons on Posey and Strasburg. You say Posey has already proven that he can hack it in the majors but that Strasburg hasnt proved anything and is simply a prospect. You do realize that they both got called up at roughly the same time right? You do realize that Strasburg was already named the NL player of the week? Tell me... how is Posey so proven and Strasburg still unproven? It is just a stupid statement. Either they both are unproven or they are both proven.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jun 17, 2010 at 09:08:48 ]

* Villalona was sought after but was NEVER the prospect that Harper is. To say so is just wrong. He was 16 and playing in the Dominican and thats it. He was not considered the Giants top prospect ever let alone the top prospect in baseball like Harper. The only comparison is that they were young and power hitting prospects.

* You say that Villalona didnt enter the draft because he was so coveted. Um... NO.
International players are NOT part of the MLB first year player draft. I would think
you would know that. Teams often will overpay for international players (like the Giants did for Villalona and Rodriguez) because there isnt a draft and it comes down

* Villalona's signing bonus was the Giants biggest international signing bonus ever

* Saying that Panda ia a much better pure hitter is Zimmerman is wrong in my opinion. Zimmerman is a 30 homer, 100 rbi guy who is hitting for a higher average than Panda this year. I would rather have him in the middle of my order I know that.

* Let me get this straight... are you saying you wouldnt trade Buster Posey for Strasburg because Posey is proven? LOL Are you really telling me that you wouldnt trade Panda or Sanchez for him? Would love to know the answer to that one because if the answer is YES then you lose any credibility whatsoever.

* Listen to how sily you sound with the comparisons on Posey and Strasburg. You say Posey has already proven that he can hack it in the majors but that Strasburg hasnt proved anything and is simply a prospect. You do realize that they both got called up at roughly the same time right? You do realize that Strasburg was already named the NL player of the week? Tell me... how is Posey so proven and Strasburg still unproven? It is just a stupid statement. Either they both are unproven or they are both proven.

how are they different? Villalona was a 16 year old power phenom worth a 2.1 mil signing bonus. whats that translate to you? Harper is a 17 year old power phenom who got picked 1st overall because hes an American kid. if Villalona was from a Miami HS he wouldve gotten the SAME treatment at the time. Harper is higher touted, but the point is they were both pre-adult hitters with NO guarantees theyd develop into anything. Harper isnt even an adult yet. you cant just lock him up for 40 major league homers.

do you know what a "pure hitter" is? its not a guy who hits 30 hr and drive in 100. thats a run producer. Ichiro is a pure hitter. Hanley Ramirez is a pure hitter. Freddy Sanchez even is a pure hitter. batting title caliber ability to hit the ball to any field on an above average consistent basis. Zim doesnt have it.

now youre breaking up the deal into individual parts. before it was 3 for 3, now its mix and match? if i had a blank team with Buster Posey on it, and i could deal him for Strasburg, i probably would. it all depends on what you need. the Giants have SP, they need a C badly. thus, they would NOT deal Posey for Strasburg.

the deal was Lincecum/Strasburg, Sandoval/Zimmerman, Posey/Harper. if you break it apart and mix and match of course you can find deals you would do. you think for a second the Nats wouldnt deal Harper for Lincecum? come on.
Originally posted by Niners99:

how are they different? Villalona was a 16 year old power phenom worth a 2.1 mil signing bonus. whats that translate to you? Harper is a 17 year old power phenom who got picked 1st overall because hes an American kid. if Villalona was from a Miami HS he wouldve gotten the SAME treatment at the time. Harper is higher touted, but the point is they were both pre-adult hitters with NO guarantees theyd develop into anything. Harper isnt even an adult yet. you cant just lock him up for 40 major league homers.

do you know what a "pure hitter" is? its not a guy who hits 30 hr and drive in 100. thats a run producer. Ichiro is a pure hitter. Hanley Ramirez is a pure hitter. Freddy Sanchez even is a pure hitter. batting title caliber ability to hit the ball to any field on an above average consistent basis. Zim doesnt have it.

now youre breaking up the deal into individual parts. before it was 3 for 3, now its mix and match? if i had a blank team with Buster Posey on it, and i could deal him for Strasburg, i probably would. it all depends on what you need. the Giants have SP, they need a C badly. thus, they would NOT deal Posey for Strasburg.

the deal was Lincecum/Strasburg, Sandoval/Zimmerman, Posey/Harper. if you break it apart and mix and match of course you can find deals you would do. you think for a second the Nats wouldnt deal Harper for Lincecum? come on.

I notice you totally ignored how you were completely wrong when you said that Villalona chose not to enter the draft. You also conveniently left out your error when you said he was the highest bonus player ever. Get your facts straight before you start spewing out BS. Harper is a MUCH more highly touted player. Period. He was the consensus #1 player in the draft. Villalona as I mentioned was never even considered the Giants top prospect.

Your idea of a pure hitter is laughable. All you are going by is someone who hits for a high average. Right.. Freddie Sanchez is more of a pure hitter than Albert Pujols because Albert is a run producer. I guess Manny Ramirez isnt a "pure hitter" because he hits for power. You just look more ridiculous every time you post with statements like this.

Before you said that you wouldnt trade Sanchez or Posey for Strasburg because they were proven (laughing so hard at that) and Strasburg isnt. Now you backpedal. Which is it. Also, you are just so naive if you dont think Sabean or any GM in baseball would deal Buster Posey for Stephen Strasburg, My god. You really dont know anything about baseball do you? I love the way you also try to suggest that I ever said anything about trading Lincecum for Harper. HELLO!!!!!!!!!

I'm really done debating with someone makes so many errors in his post, tries to switch things around, and doesnt get what the jist of the post was to begin with.

I notice you totally ignored how you were completely wrong when you said that Villalona chose not to enter the draft. You also conveniently left out your error when you said he was the highest bonus player ever. Get your facts straight before you start spewing out BS. Harper is a MUCH more highly touted player. Period. He was the consensus #1 player in the draft. Villalona as I mentioned was never even considered the Giants top prospect.

Your idea of a pure hitter is laughable. All you are going by is someone who hits for a high average. Right.. Freddie Sanchez is more of a pure hitter than Albert Pujols because Albert is a run producer. I guess Manny Ramirez isnt a "pure hitter" because he hits for power. You just look more ridiculous every time you post with statements like this.

Before you said that you wouldnt trade Sanchez or Posey for Strasburg because they were proven (laughing so hard at that) and Strasburg isnt. Now you backpedal. Which is it. Also, you are just so naive if you dont think Sabean or any GM in baseball would deal Buster Posey for Stephen Strasburg, My god. You really dont know anything about baseball do you? I love the way you also try to suggest that I ever said anything about trading Lincecum for Harper. HELLO!!!!!!!!!

I'm really done debating with someone makes so many errors in his post, tries to switch things around, and doesnt get what the jist of the post was to begin with.

LOL dude you are the WORST person at understanding posts. wow. you have the reading comprehension of a 7 year old.

first of all, i am fully aware that international players dont enter the draft. my point was that the caliber of player Villalona was at the time, he WOULDVE been drafted very high. and i never said he was the highest paid bonus player ever. and you are wrong in saying he was never the Giants highest touted prospect. he has consistantly been ranked in their organizational top 3 by Baseball America since he was signed. Baseball America is the foremost authority on the analysis of farm systems and prospects in baseball.

Dec. 14th, 2007, Angel Villalona was in fact the number 1 ranked prospect in the Giants organization.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2008/265340.html

you call yourself a baseball fan, yet you have no idea what a pure hitter is? i JUST got done explaining to you what it was. its not just about hitting for a high average, and it doesnt dismiss players for having power. Do i have to explain it word for word? or do you just take everything literal and jump to conclusions...you can be a power hitter and be a pure hitter. the point is, Zimmerman is not. hes a solid run producing 3B with a gold glove. theres a reason hes a .280 hitter. his ability to hit the ball to all field consistently to get on base simply isnt as good as others.

i honestly cannot beleive youre arguing with me over this. do you watch baseball? do you follow it outside the Giants? you should know what a "pure hitter" is, and is not. instead, try to stop skimming posts and misjudging whats said, and then insulting me over it. btw its hard to make a good counter argument about my intelligence when you keep spelling players names wrong. "Freddie Sanchez", or even your beloved "Stephen Strasberg".

you read things wrong, and then insult people over it. easily confused i suppose. first off, i never said i wouldnt deal Sanchez for Strasburg. you made that up. second, i specifically said i WOULD deal Posey for Strasburg on a blank canvas, but that the Giants specific situation suggests that a future stud hitting C is more important than another SP. have you thought about contracts? Lincecum is due for a big one in a couple seasons. Cain wants money too. Strasburg is represented by Scott Boras. say he turns out to be the best pitcher in baseball, hes getting a deal the Giants cant afford.

it makes very little baseball sense for the Giants in their specific situation to deal Buster Posey for Stephen Strasburg. thats why i think they would not do it.

your arrogance does not match your knowledge. sorry. if you want to get all high and mighty about how right you are, do a better job at understanding what im saying, not what you THOUGHT i said. read over the posts more before you respond. you based my "laughable" knowledge of baseball on opinions you made up. "haha you think pujols and manny arent pure hitters because they hit for power??" um....no. try again. dont put words in my mouth because you have trouble understanding things.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
At this point:

Zimmerman > Panda

Lincecum > Strasburg

Posey > Harper

Too much risk to bank the future of a franchise on potential alone. The damage done could be irreversible.

Agreed.

Yeah you can call me a homer all you want, no way would I make this trade. Get rid of a two time CY winner who's at the beginning of his career (and the face of the franchise)? Yeah you better be ready to offer me more than just potential. I think the jury is still out on Panda as to what he'll turn out to be, which is fine, and I think Posey has as much potential as any young player out there. But what makes this a no brainer is at the end of the day you don't trade away Tim Lincecum unless someone wants to give away the farm to get him.
Share 49ersWebzone