There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Offseason Thread for the Phoenix Suns

This is going to be a big offseason. Both Frye and Stoudemire can, and will, opt out of their contracts. Do we resign both? Will we cave in to giving Amare a max deal? Do we do a sign and trade deal? Just let him walk outright?

This is a pivotal offseason. The moves we make this summer could make or break our future.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Amare, max contract = huge mistake
I think it'd be a mistake for you guys to re-sign Amare to a max deal. But by the same token, you can't help but wonder how long the "window" is open. Are you guys a championship caliber team? If so, it's worth it to overpay Amare by a bit and try to bring in that last piece at the MLE.

Before the playoffs, I would have said that you're not all that close to winning a ring, and re-signing Amare at the max would have been idiotic. Now, I'm not as convinced that you're far away.

If you lose Amare for nothing, that DEFINITELY means that you're not winning a title in the Nash era. Very tough offseason decisions for you guys.
I hope for Steve Nash's sake you guys dont re-sign Amare Stoudemire, especially to a max contract. He is the one player i'd want to win a championship if it isnt the lakers. Amare is just bad, he is a terrible rebounder, and an even worse rebounder. When will people understand that players like Dirk and Amare dont win you championships? Having a 4/5 that doesnt guard or rebound puts a lot of strain on a team
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Channing Frye's effort on the glass in Game 5 and 6 impressed me, particularly since Frye is widely considered to be the worst rebounding center in the NBA.

You know what, I think Frye is worth the MLE
  • crzy
  • Veteran

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by crzy:
Channing Frye's effort on the glass in Game 5 and 6 impressed me, particularly since Frye is widely considered to be the worst rebounding center in the NBA.

You know what, I think Frye is worth the MLE

Frye's a center!?
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I hope for Steve Nash's sake you guys dont re-sign Amare Stoudemire, especially to a max contract. He is the one player i'd want to win a championship if it isnt the lakers. Amare is just bad, he is a terrible rebounder, and an even worse rebounder. When will people understand that players like Dirk and Amare dont win you championships? Having a 4/5 that doesnt guard or rebound puts a lot of strain on a team

Not a strong rebounder or defender, but there are less than a handful of guys that can finish around the rim like he can. He was 2nd to LeBron in And 1's this season.

I'm really divided on what I'd be happy to see. I don't think I'd mind a max deal if it were something like a 3 year contract, but of course, that's unheard of.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Not a strong rebounder or defender, but there are less than a handful of guys that can finish around the rim like he can. He was 2nd to LeBron in And 1's this season.

I'm really divided on what I'd be happy to see. I don't think I'd mind a max deal if it were something like a 3 year contract, but of course, that's unheard of.

Originally posted by NaMuRoRezerved:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Hello. Are you blasian?
How's that funny, Miss Robinson?
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Let Stoudamire walk and bring in Dirk!
the Kings would love Amare
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM ]
Sixth's Roster Analysis

Louis Amundson - A great energy, hustle defender off the bench. Good rebounder for his size. Very limited scorer. Poor free throw shooter. Free agent - will demand much more than his current salary. Can/Will the Suns resign him?

Leandro Barbosa
- Missed nearly half the season due to injuries. With the emergence of Dragic, Barbosa has become expendable. I would not be surprised to see the Suns F.O. shop him this summer, regardless of any other roster changes.

Earl Clark - Did not play much his rookie year, and is just as big a mystery going forward as he was the day he was drafted. I would expect him to be a featured player on the Summer League team, and to have an increased role on the team come the next season.

Jarron Collins - About as useful as a bag of sand in the desert. We gave him a one year deal. I'm guessing we don't do that again.

Goran Dragic
- This kid has some great potential. Already a good defender, shooter and penetrator. Must continue to work on his ability to create for others. Well on his way to being Nash's heir apparent.

Jared Dudley - Incredibly high basketball IQ - would have All-NBA potential if it not for lack of athleticism. Great 3pt shooter. Great defender. Strong bench player, with potential to be the Suns starting SF of the future.

Channing Frye - His ability to hit the 3 pointer allows the Suns to space the floor, and allows Amare to operate in the paint with more freedom. Must improve interior defense and rebounding. He has a player option for next season, and is expected to opt out to demand a higher salary; either from the Suns or another team.

Taylor Griffin - One of the premiere bench warmers in the league, Taylor played in all of 8 games this season. Doubtful for the roster next season.

Grant Hill - Grant will be 38 by this time next season. So long as he can continue to play at the same level, I expect he'll continue to start, albeit in reduced minutes (26-28 a game).

Dwayne Jones - Late season signing - played 15 total minutes in that time. Doubtful he'll be back on the team.

Robin Lopez - Emerged as one of the promising young centers this season. Strong interior defender, and has shown flashes of an emerging offensive game. Good FT shooter for his size. Should be the Suns starting center going forward.

Steve Nash - Our starting PG for the next 2 years. Still one of the top 5 talents at his position. Scheduled to make $10M and then $11M. Will likely continue to see reduced minutes, so long as Dragic continues to improve.

Jason Richardson - When J-Rich scores 20 or more, the Suns usually win the game. Played strong in the playoffs, and was deadly accurate beyond the arc. Scheduled to make $14M next season in his final year of the contract. Potential trade deadline bait? Depends on a lot of things, but hopefully not.

Amar'e Stoudemire - The biggest question mark on the team right now. Elite level offensive talent, but lacks intensity at times and does not defend or rebound nearly as well as he should. Average Basketball IQ at best. The direction of this team largely depends on our ability to resign him to a reasonable contract. If he walks without us getting anything in return, it could be time to blow up the team and rebuild.
  • ZRF80
The only benefit the Suns could get out of Amare Stoudemire's contract situation is if he decides NOT to opt out of his current deal. As good as he is for us, he is definitely not worth the max deal. What Id like to see is PHX to add another key piece to the puzzle (which is highly unlikely with Kerr in charge). The main reason why we havent won a ring in the past 6-7 years is because the team has been adamant on building a team around Nash and Stoudemire. Unfortunately, both are defensive liabilities, and although they contribute the most on offense.......they also cost us the most on defense.

Enough of signing role players. I like JRich and GHill, and Dudley/Frye (if we resign him) are great compliments. But we're still lacking that one guy that can put us over the top. IF Stoudemire is to stay for one more season (I doubt it), Id like to see PHX go after a bonified FA that is not named Wade, James, or Bosh.