holy f**k

those are $8 beers
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Originally posted by GameOver:

^Those numbers are up to the Gilbert Arenas incident of this past 2010 NBA season

84 players represent about 20% of the league.

And for those of us that have actually met Gilbert Arenas, THAT DUDE is not a thug at all. LOL Quite frankly, he's one of the squarest dudes in the league.

I think that you have to reach a little bit deeper into these guys' personal lives in order to judge them as "thugs".

Yeah, I think there's a difference between thuggery (i.e. JR Smith/Stephen Jackson) and stupidity (Gilbert Arenas/Kobe Bryant).

"Who you calling stupid?"

Goddammit, Kobe. You've provided the haters with a permanent trump card. WTF do I even say to this?

Whoa, man...What is this??? I thought that it was photoshopped, only to find out that he actually had a "white" photoshoot.

Sh**'s kinda weird/creepy (in an "I am the RAPER guy" sort of sense)
Originally posted by LB49ers:
I think another problem for the NBA image is the one and done player. The NFL can weed out a lot more of the major trouble makers because they have to spend three years in college. And the "thugs' usually can't qualify or get into to much trouble and lose their scholarship. Only the really talented college players(Lawerence Phillips) can be protected aka second, third chance. Where the NBA has players who go to class for one semester then stop going during basketball season because they just need to be eligible for the second semester.

According to the chart above, one and done players are about 12 times LESS likely to be arrested than players that played for 4 years in college.

There are a lot of misperceptions about the sport, IMO.

But the chart does not give the number of players arrested to how many are actually in the NBA
I think another problem for the NBA image is the one and done player. The NFL can weed out a lot more of the major trouble makers because they have to spend three years in college. And the "thugs' usually can't qualify or get into to much trouble and lose their scholarship. Only the really talented college players(Lawerence Phillips) can be protected aka second, third chance. Where the NBA has players who go to class for one semester then stop going during basketball season because they just need to be eligible for the second semester.

According to the chart above, one and done players are about 12 times LESS likely to be arrested than players that played for 4 years in college.

There are a lot of misperceptions about the sport, IMO.

But the chart does not give the number of players arrested to how many are actually in the NBA

It gives a percentage. Being that there are approximately 450 players in the NBA, you can figure it out.
NBA players are fine. Their image problem is that it's a black dominated sport that, so far, other races really can't excel at because it's not just about running fast or being fat or being able to hit a small ball with a stick. It's about being extremely athletic while being abnormally tall. Now this and more facial recognition than any other sport.

A lot of other things may play into it like where the sport is played...not professional but recreational. If you want to play this sport for fun at a park, then you will need to have some thick skin along with little fear of other races.

The NBA players are fine, it's the overall image of the game of basketball that's prejudice.

Hope I wasn't too honest.
Originally posted by Joecool:
NBA players are fine. Their image problem is that it's a black dominated sport that, so far, other races really can't excel at because it's not just about running fast or being fat or being able to hit a small ball with a stick. It's about being extremely athletic while being abnormally tall. Now this and more facial recognition than any other sport.

A lot of other things may play into it like where the sport is played...not professional but recreational. If you want to play this sport for fun at a park, then you will need to have some thick skin along with little fear of other races.

The NBA players are fine, it's the overall image of the game of basketball that's prejudice.

LOL! I didn't think of this, but it's very true.

That's a good point. I actually played with a paroled murderer a couple of weeks ago. Pretty nice guy...aside from murdering a dude 20 years ago.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

That's a good point. I actually played with a paroled murderer a couple of weeks ago. Pretty nice guy...aside from murdering a dude 20 years ago.

Did you avoid saying phrases like "You killed me on that crossover" ?

uhh...

He didn't mention the murder thing until after we were done playing.

It's at this park down the street from my apartment. He was there with his family, and seemed like a nice guy. Then we're sitting in the shade after I killed him on the court (yeah, I'm a killer too, chump!), and he mentions how he's given his life to God now because he recently got out of prison for moidah! I was just hoping he wouldn't say he killed a guy for beating him in a pickup game.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Am I crazy in thinking that the NBA has the best image it's had right now since the 80s? Other than Arenas, there hasn't been much bad press I can think of, at least with stars. This young batch of new stars like Howard, LBJ, Durant, etc, are all fairly likable guys. In this league, moreso maybe than any other, the small markets compete on a regular basis with the bigger ones, in fact take LA out of it and the bigger markets are actually worse.
Funny, but with all the conduct policy Goodell brought, the NFL easily has the worst image problem it's ever had: huge stars getting in to trouble and the like. Yet it's popularity has never been bigger. Double standard... or maybe football is just more exciting than ever?

It's at this park down the street from my apartment. He was there with his family, and seemed like a nice guy. Then we're sitting in the shade after I killed him on the court (yeah, I'm a killer too, chump!), and he mentions how he's given his life to God now because he recently got out of prison for moidah! I was just hoping he wouldn't say he killed a guy for beating him in a pickup game.

Well, if you ever play him again, I think you should use the word "kill" in every phrase you can possibly think up, just to see if you can get him to snap.

"Dude, you're killing it from 3-point land today"
"Killer defensive play, man"
"Yeah, we can run another one, but I gotta warn you my lungs are killing me"
"Mind if I put on some music? I dig on The Killers when I'm hooping it up"

[ Edited by TheSixthRing on May 3, 2010 at 14:03:51 ]

Well, if you ever play him again, I think you should use the word "kill" in every phrase you can possibly think up, just to see if you can get him to snap.

"Dude, you're killing it from 3-point land today"
"Killer defensive play, man"
"Yeah, we can run another one, but I gotta warn you my lungs are killing me"
"Mind if I put on some music? I dig on The Killers when I'm hooping it up"

I think I should splatter other words in, too. Maybe something more specific to what he did.

"Man, that shot annoyed me so much that I want to beat the crap out of it until it dies as a result of its injuries"
Share 49ersWebzone