LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

The NBA's image problem

It's weird to me that tattoos are associated with being a thug. Maybe it's my rock/metal background, but I think of metalheads or punkers, not thugs.

On a side note, tattoos look retarded on black people. They just look like smudges. Yeah, let me get some black ink injected into my dark, brown skin. That's a nice contrast there.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
It's weird to me that tattoos are associated with being a thug. Maybe it's my rock/metal background, but I think of metalheads or punkers, not thugs.

On a side note, tattoos look retarded on black people. They just look like smudges. Yeah, let me get some black ink injected into my dark, brown skin. That's a nice contrast there.

They should use white ink.

Thug life!
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Thug life!

Not without tattoos, Dirk!

(cue the photoshop guy!)
Originally posted by GameOver:

^Those numbers are up to the Gilbert Arenas incident of this past 2010 NBA season

84 players represent about 20% of the league.

And for those of us that have actually met Gilbert Arenas, THAT DUDE is not a thug at all. LOL Quite frankly, he's one of the squarest dudes in the league.

I think that you have to reach a little bit deeper into these guys' personal lives in order to judge them as "thugs".
Originally posted by Jigga:

^Those numbers are up to the Gilbert Arenas incident of this past 2010 NBA season

And for those of us that have actually met Gilbert Arenas, THAT DUDE is not a thug at all. LOL Quite frankly, he's one of the squarest dudes in the league.

I think that you have to reach a little bit deeper into these guys' personal lives in order to judge them as "thugs".

Yeah, I think there's a difference between thuggery (i.e. JR Smith/Stephen Jackson) and stupidity (Gilbert Arenas/Kobe Bryant).
I think another problem for the NBA image is the one and done player. The NFL can weed out a lot more of the major trouble makers because they have to spend three years in college. And the "thugs' usually can't qualify or get into to much trouble and lose their scholarship. Only the really talented college players(Lawerence Phillips) can be protected aka second, third chance. Where the NBA has players who go to class for one semester then stop going during basketball season because they just need to be eligible for the second semester.

Yeah, I think there's a difference between thuggery (i.e. JR Smith/Stephen Jackson) and stupidity (Gilbert Arenas/Kobe Bryant).

"Who you calling stupid?"

Originally posted by LB49ers:
I think another problem for the NBA image is the one and done player. The NFL can weed out a lot more of the major trouble makers because they have to spend three years in college. And the "thugs' usually can't qualify or get into to much trouble and lose their scholarship. Only the really talented college players(Lawerence Phillips) can be protected aka second, third chance. Where the NBA has players who go to class for one semester then stop going during basketball season because they just need to be eligible for the second semester.

According to the chart above, one and done players are about 12 times LESS likely to be arrested than players that played for 4 years in college.

There are a lot of misperceptions about the sport, IMO.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

"Who you calling stupid?"

Goddammit, Kobe. You've provided the haters with a permanent trump card. WTF do I even say to this?

Originally posted by dobophile:
Remember when Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest beat up valrod?

Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by valrod33:

go to :44 of this video

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
bunch a dennis rodman wannabes

Commentary by Vince McMahon Jerry the King Lawler
Share 49ersWebzone