LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

The NBA's image problem

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
The difference in the amount of players in the different sports is something not to be ignored, IMO. There are more players on one NFL team than 4 1/2 NBA teams.

It doesn't matter, there are still more criminals in the NFL.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by crzy:
Somewhere around 40% of NBA players have criminal records (according to that book). I'd say the # is around 25% or lower for the NFL.

That's a bunch of bulls**t statistics made up by a guy with an agenda to demonize the NBA.

Maybe so, but it's ridiculous to think that the NBA has a lower % of criminals than the NFL.

How so?

There are two books written on the subject, one for the NFL and one for the NBA (2004 i think). The numbers in those books found that 21% for NFL players and 40% for NBA. Why those numbers would be considered "biased" or backed by an agenda, I don't know. Regardless, it's a study and people can't just throw it out the window and say they don't believe it. What other data do we have other than our opinions?

If you DO want to go to opinion, then it doesn't take more than simple intuition to know that the NBA is filled with more "thugs" than the NFL. I could write an essay on the reasons why I believe that is so...
Leonard Little, Donte Stallworth, Ray Lewis, Chris Henry, Michael Vick, PacMan Jones, Santonio Holmes, Ben Rothelisberger, Rae Carruth, Pacman Jones, Marvin Harrison, OJ Simpson, Brandon Marshall, Plaxico Burress, Lawrence Phillips, Nate Newton, QUincy Carter, Michael Irvin, Dexter Manley, Eugene Robinson, Bryant McKinnie, Ricky Manning Jr, Najeh Davenport, Corey Rodgers, Rhett Bomar, Tank Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter, Travis Henry, Cedric Benson, David Meggett, Jamal Lewis, Jamal Anderson, Maurice CLarrett, Todd McNair, Charles Rodgers, Randy Moss, Matt Jones, Richard Quinn, Orlando Brown, Nick Kaczur, barrett Robbins, Jerremy Bridges, Danny Villa, Stockar McDougle, Tony Fein, LRoy Hill, Eugene Lockhart, Usama Young, Donte Whitner, Aquib Talib, Jeff Reed, Tony Zendejas, Todd Saubrun, Mike Patterson, Randy Starks, Daniel Graham

lol at the NBA having more criminals.

You seem to be missing the fact that there are 53 players on 32 teams in the NFL, as opposed to 13 players on 30 teams.

A percentage would be more accurate here.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Because you can see their tattoos.

this is probably more true than pantstickle intended it to be.

It's very true and sad

But I don't like the culture of basketball sportsmanship either, so who am I to talk. I think they act like punks, or at least many, not all. (You complained the last time we had this discussion when I said thugs, i associate the two words together.)

That's because you were associating thuggery with lack of sportsmanship. Which is completely not the same thing.

Peyton Manning didn't give a post game handshake in the Super Bowl. That doesn't make him a thug. It makes him a little b***h but not a thug.

well now you are arguing diction, which is entirely different matter.

I said thug in the sense of how I use it day to day, not to mean criminal. (And I don't think it was poor sportsmanship not to shake hands, I think its poor sportsmanship to show someone up after scoring like Garnett does every time he scores a basket.)

I think you are a thug if you act like a dick on the court. thug, punk, b***h its all the same.

[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on May 2, 2010 at 16:54:32 ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
The difference in the amount of players in the different sports is something not to be ignored, IMO. There are more players on one NFL team than 4 1/2 NBA teams.

It doesn't matter, there are still more criminals in the NFL.

It makes absolutely zero sense to look at raw numbers and not percentages. But if that's what you want to do go right ahead...but you aren't proving anything.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If you DO want to go to opinion, then it doesn't take more than simple intuition to know that the NBA is filled with more "thugs" than the NFL.

And that's pretty much the point of this thread. That that "intuition" is completely wrong, and rooted in an inherent bias that many individuals have against the NBA.......primarily because of it's close association with hip hop culture.

It's the same arguments you hear over and over when NCAA March Madness is on.

"I love watching College Basketball players play because they play fundamentally correct basketball while the NBA is all dunks and thugs blah blah blah nonsense"

Allen Iverson and hip hop culture is at the root of NBA's image problem.

[ Edited by crzy on May 2, 2010 at 16:53:50 ]
at crzy defending the image of basketball til the last drop of blood leaks out
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by vrabbit:

hehe
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Because you can see their tattoos.

this is probably more true than pantstickle intended it to be.

It's very true and sad

But I don't like the culture of basketball sportsmanship either, so who am I to talk. I think they act like punks, or at least many, not all. (You complained the last time we had this discussion when I said thugs, i associate the two words together.)

That's because you were associating thuggery with lack of sportsmanship. Which is completely not the same thing.

Peyton Manning didn't give a post game handshake in the Super Bowl. That doesn't make him a thug. It makes him a little b***h but not a thug.

well now you are arguing diction, which is entirely different matter.

I said thug in the sense of how I use it day to day, not to mean criminal. (And I don't think it was poor sportsmanship not to shake hands, I think its poor sportsmanship to show someone up after scoring like Garnett does every time he scores a basket.)

I think you are a thug if you act like a dick on the court. thug, punk, b***h its all the same.

We've gone in circles here

I think you don't really have a good understanding of what the word "thug" means.

You're using it in a completely incorrect manner.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I think the NBA is great game..but as mentioned before..half of the guys playing were thugs growing up or are still that way.

Originally posted by vrabbit:

hehe

where's pete? y'all could be like the funny black and white detectives trying to solve this case
Somewhere around 40% of NBA players have criminal records (according to that book). I'd say the # is around 25% or lower for the NFL.

That's a bunch of bulls**t statistics made up by a guy with an agenda to demonize the NBA.

Maybe so, but it's ridiculous to think that the NBA has a lower % of criminals than the NFL.

How so?

There are two books written on the subject, one for the NFL and one for the NBA (2004 i think). The numbers in those books found that 21% for NFL players and 40% for NBA. Why those numbers would be considered "biased" or backed by an agenda, I don't know. Regardless, it's a study and people can't just throw it out the window and say they don't believe it. What other data do we have other than our opinions?

If you DO want to go to opinion, then it doesn't take more than simple intuition to know that the NBA is filled with more "thugs" than the NFL. I could write an essay on the reasons why I believe that is so...

Yeah, but those numbers don't necessarily correlate with being a "thug". A criminal record could be a number of things that aren't associated with being thugs.

And really, the percentage of thugs may be higher in the NBA, but is it really so high that you don't consider the NFL to be full of thugs? Seems to me like you're just arguing because you dislike the NBA, or think that one sport is superior.

When the NBA All-Star game was in Vegas, who got arrested?
Adam "Pacman" Jones.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jrg:
I think the NBA is great game..but as mentioned before..half of the guys playing were thugs growing up or are still that way.

What are you basing this on?
If you DO want to go to opinion, then it doesn't take more than simple intuition to know that the NBA is filled with more "thugs" than the NFL.

And that's pretty much the point of this thread. That that "intuition" is completely wrong, and rooted in an inherent bias that many individuals have against the NBA.......primarily because of it's close association with hip hop culture.

It's the same arguments you hear over and over when NCAA March Madness is on.

"I love watching College Basketball players play because they play fundamentally correct basketball while the NBA is all dunks and thugs blah blah blah nonsense"

Allen Iverson and hip hop culture is at the root of NBA's image problem.

But how can you say the intuition that most people have is wrong when the only studies done on the matter show that 40% of NBA players have criminal records? If you want to toss the studies out, then you're left with only "intuition" but that's not what I'm trying to do...I'm trying to remove any bias and go with stats alone...but you say there's an agenda behind the #s so what else is there to go off of?

You can't have it both ways...say the perception is wrong and then throw out the stats that prove that the perception is actually reality.
Originally posted by jrg:

What are you basing this on?

Life on the streets.
Share 49ersWebzone